British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Is anyone losing interest

11 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

£20 may seem a lot.... but compared to a top football match I am sure it is relatively cheap..... I have no idea what the cheapest prices are for Premiership football

Kings Lynn is an absolute dump where you would see complete no names 

Norwich City are offering a cheapest season tickets for £500 which works out at the cheapest ticket of about £27.00 per game, the two stadiums and the general experience are a million miles apart.

Speedway is an over priced sport for what is on offer.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, stevehone said:

basic requirement here is clubs to run on the days that suit them, not when they're told, and if that means weekends then so be it.

the choices we used to have on a saturday was great, now, nothing.

I think working hours have changed so much for both riders and fans that weekday meetings are no longer viable for quite a large percentage.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vince said:

I think working hours have changed so much for both riders and fans that weekday meetings are no longer viable for quite a large percentage.

Don't agree at all TBH. 

In this day and age the vast majority aren't even having to factor in travel time to their working day, weekday activities have never been more accessible to most.

Supermarkets are open 24 hours so many of their workers plus delivery drivers and supply warehouses are on 24 hour shifts for starters compared to Speedways popular times.

Same applies with so many businesses who now open extended hours that mean large numbers of staff work either very early or late.

I'm not talking about the past year but in general over the past few years.

The past year is going to be reflective of the new new, more hours open, means many many more are working more flexible hours. 

Don't think what you are saying there is a truism to the wider work force. 

20 minutes ago, Vince said:

Supermarkets are open 24 hours so many of their workers plus delivery drivers and supply warehouses are on 24 hour shifts for starters compared to Speedways popular times.

Same applies with so many businesses who now open extended hours that mean large numbers of staff work either very early or late.

I'm not talking about the past year but in general over the past few years.

Certainly 'everyone being off at weekend' has changed considerably however..

It's telling that other forms of Motorsport all run into, and through the weekends, rather than try and run during the week..

As has been alluded to on this thread "making a day of it" would be the best way Speedway clubs could attract new fans..

Bottom line is Speedway in the UK is just an opportunity for riders to earn money under an ultra tenuous "team" infrastructure, that ultimately delivers "Championships" hardly anyone cares about, achieve very little merit or kudos in winning, and certainly have no major financial reward...

If that is your starting point to attract "new fans" and your one saleable item is 15 heats/minutes of Speedway, often  ran on days to accommodate your employees wishes, then you are clearly not going to make a success of it..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Neither did it mine. I was going to West Ham as an eight year old on a Tuesday night from my South London home. I slept in the car coming home and always got up for school in the morning. 

Totally agree with the fact that midweek meetings were never a problem for me when I was at school. We lived near Southfields District line station and went to Wimbledon every Monday and West Ham on occasional Tuesdays (by underground train and then bus from Plaistow to the stadium). I used to sleep on the train with no problems. I have therefore never understood the modern families who don't go out midweek due to the kids being at school the next day. 

Edited by Chris116
Words vanished

The weekday thing is just another excuse TBH rather than a reason.

if Speedway moves to a weekend sport, all you would get in a years time for that decision  is "well so many other things run on the weekend" 

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Certainly 'everyone being off at weekend' has changed considerably however..

It's telling that other forms of Motorsport all run into, and through the weekends, rather than try and run during the week..

As has been alluded to on this thread "making a day of it" would be the best way Speedway clubs could attract new fans..

Bottom line is Speedway in the UK is just an opportunity for riders to earn money under an ultra tenuous "team" infrastructure, that ultimately delivers "Championships" hardly anyone cares about, achieve very little merit or kudos in winning, and certainly have no major financial reward...

If that is your starting point to attract "new fans" and your one saleable item is 15 heats/minutes of Speedway, often  ran on days to accommodate your employees wishes, then you are clearly not going to make a success of it..

Too few races and too many delays sums speedway up. The whole show caters for the riders, not the suffering fans that pay to watch it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Bottom line is Speedway in the UK is just an opportunity for riders to earn money under an ultra tenuous "team" infrastructure, that ultimately delivers "Championships" hardly anyone cares about, achieve very little merit or kudos in winning, and certainly have no major financial reward..

Precisely this.....

Sadly the sport has been split into multiple camps for a while now with supporters of teams and supporters of the sport. These often want quite different outcomes in a match. Throw in the mixed/forced race nights and formats and its no wonder that interest is dwindling. Decisions by a few and dictated to the masses just isn't going to keep every team afloat and in some areas it just may not be sustainable at any level to run speedway. We have X UK tracks, Y UK teams and very few of them want to run the same way and yet they are all forced into doing so.

32 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Too few races and too many delays sums speedway up. The whole show caters for the riders, not the suffering fans that pay to watch it.

When I started watching Belle Vue, it was  13 races for the league match , with 10 races in the second half... 4 with the seniors, 3 junior races and 3 novice races.

Start 1900 hrs... all finished by 2100 hrs at the latest... with an interval of 10 mins

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Nicely put mikebv. Said it ages ago, but was ridiculed by others on here who now agree with it.

Speedway is not a team sport anymore. Riders have become agency workers just trying to earn a living riding for money and not caring whose colours they wear, and fans are being robbed - or those fans are who still believe it's a team game. I would feel like Matt Hancock's missus if I supported a team that contained riders I knew were also getting their oats somewhere else and not serving my needs fully when having a bad night. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Nicely put mikebv. Said it ages ago, but was ridiculed by others on here who now agree with it.

Speedway is not a team sport anymore. Riders have become agency workers just trying to earn a living riding for money and not caring whose colours they wear, and fans are being robbed - or those fans are who still believe it's a team game. I would feel like Matt Hancock's missus if I supported a team that contained riders I knew were also getting their oats somewhere else and not serving my needs fully when having a bad night. 

They are like subcontractors, with a van full of different teams race jackets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 9:19 AM, heathen52 said:

For Speedway to be potentially losing fans like you two guys should be telling Speedway its in crisis, if it doesnt then the those at the top table need to take off there rose tinted spectacles and quickly get into the real world before its to late thats if already isnt, we need every Track/Promoter/Rider/Fan and right now the BSPL/SCB leadership are not encouraging anyone Promoters/Riders/Fans alike to stay/come into the Sport, except for the favoured few. If it carries on in the way that it is then i dread to think what the Sport in the UK will look like in a few years time. We need to rebuild from the bottom up, not from the Top down because very soon there wont be a Top in the UK, actually there is no longer a top in the UK its second rate, can it survive when it becomes third rate led by Scunthorpe ?, never mind there will always be Amateur meetings we can go to :mad:.

Its such a pity that some current Promoters with leadership skills are to busy trying to keep there Teams afloat to be able to give more time to helping the Sport move forwards, because with the present crowd in charge Speedway is almost at the point of no return.

The promoters are in charge lol  The promoters make up the BSPL, they are all struggling to keep their clubs going ...... thank christ there's more enthusiasm from the fans attending than from many people posting on here.  I hope NO potential fans come across this forum either, JEEEEEEZ!  How I wish speedway fans were like football fans, fans for life, who pay out what is it £500+ every year for a season ticket for fear of never being able to go again if they don't ...... however good or bad their team is performing!