British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Is anyone losing interest

If streaming isn't viable to a current aging disappearing fanbase, how do you get youngsters addicted? They certainly aren't coming through the turnstiles. Every bit of television my kids watch is via an app "on demand", they never watch any tv in the traditional sense.

21 minutes ago, Deano said:

If streaming isn't viable to a current aging disappearing fanbase, how do you get youngsters addicted? They certainly aren't coming through the turnstiles. Every bit of television my kids watch is via an app "on demand", they never watch any tv in the traditional sense.

I do wonder sometimes what is the target audience with all these trashy 'celebrity' based shows aimed at? I've never heard of the majority of the so-called celebrities who are featured on these programmes! TV has been so dumbed down I watch very little 'live' programmes preferring to delve into my extemsive DVD collection.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, Deano said:

I've been going on about this for a while, it ain't going to be cheap, but I do think British Speedway needs some kind of interactive app to attract the kids, especially on race night, with interactive collectables etc.

Just something simple, like get selfies with all of the riders in an online album like the old Panini sticker books... and a club emblem badge hidden around the stadium somewhere.

Not sure how you'd do swaps though... got, got, got, got, got, got, got, NEED! :rofl:

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Over the years, in large, speedway has relied on regular fans introducing family members or friends to keep it going. The problem arises when these regulars stop attending or pass away, and then speedway's next generation disappears with them.

The sport is more than just about the racing spectacle. It sounds off-putting, but newcomers need to be introduced to the art of filling in a programme as soon as possible. Otherwise, however thrilling it initially is - four men skidding at speed into bends - it gets tedious before the end of the night when you don't know what's going on. I recall my first visit in 1975. Until I discovered the merits of keeping a programme, it was thrilling but I wasn't hooked.

Perhaps clubs, if they already haven't, should make a special effort to encourage newcomers in groups. Educate them on the basics of the sport and not rely on keeping them just because it's a great spectacle. Speedway is more than that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Over the years, in large, speedway has relied on regular fans introducing family members or friends to keep it going. The problem arises when these regulars stop attending or pass away, and then speedway's next generation disappears with them.

The sport is more than just about the racing spectacle. It sounds off-putting, but newcomers need to be introduced to the art of filling in a programme as soon as possible. Otherwise, however thrilling it initially is - four men skidding at speed into bends - it gets tedious before the end of the night when you don't know what's going on. I recall my first visit in 1975. Until I discovered the merits of keeping a programme, it was thrilling but I wasn't hooked.

Perhaps clubs, if they already haven't, should make a special effort to encourage newcomers in groups. Educate them on the basics of the sport and not rely on keeping them just because it's a great spectacle. Speedway is more than that.

It's an extra £3 for a prog these days though. Perhaps you should get a free race card on entry and then if you choose buy a "Match Day Magazine" for £3.

And like I said in a previous post, free entry to the 2nd halves is what initially got me started... to lump out £20 on something you may or may not like is quite a lot these days, especially when there are generally no other offers these days since they stopped reducing the price of TV matches.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

the art of filling in a programme. 

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sent home from school again, Jim, to self isolate?

2 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

I am heading to the cinema tonight mate, new Fast and Furious is out 

"nah come to the speedway where you can learn the art of filling in a programme" 

tenor.gif

Have you got that long-covid?

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

The guy added, "Because I'm a little concerned with that feaky-looking man ogling at you over there." 

"feaky"

tenor.gif

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

1 minute ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

leading moxey a dance again, ya dancer. :rofl:

giphy.gif

In And Out Sand GIF

• Haha 1

Just now, moxey63 said:

In And Out Sand GIF

:D

Such a joy showing you up to the wider audience for the eejit you are, you always bite..

Here commmmesssssssssssssss moxeeyy...

tenor.gif

:rofl::rofl:

The master of filling out a programme. 

giphy.gif