British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Is anyone losing interest

Losing interest? Once a Speedway fan always a speedway fan or you wouldn't be bothering browsing sites like this. I've watched a couple of televised meeting now they are back on Eurosport and it's been a bit of a mixed bag. I enjoyed the Peterborough v Wolves match and was very impressed with Luke Becker. I watched a few heats of the Ipswich meet on Monday and turned it over because it was boring me. I think with the lack of foreign superstar riders over here now Speedway in the UK has a golden opportunity to re-set itself. 

Made the decesion to not go to Foxhall on monday. No point paying £19 when its "free" to watch at home. Spent money on a takeaway and watched match with a few mates. Was just like being at Foxhall, the heats got in the way of a good chat. Will do the same on monday and large probability I/We wont be going on the 8th, its just not worth £19. If the Witches were winning is might be different, but as been stated elsewhere when the home riders look alien to their home circuit staying away is best.

Well I have been to my first live meetings this year since 1993 after watching the Belle Vue v Sheffield match on TV and my son asking to go…..we went to Belle Vue …I didn’t think 20 quid was extortionate in the current sporting scene..tickets were bought online and sent to my phone within a second and scanned at the gate…really easy and convenient….no masks needed to be worn whilst watching the racing and I was impressed with the whole show….a COVID sellout and a good atmosphere …got tickets for the Belle Vue v Wolves match now and looking forward to it…

been a fan from 1978 and then a follower of my brother in law racing upto 1993 so seen speedway from all angles but not been to a live meeting since 1993 but I have been impressed this year from what I’ve seen and hopefully after July 19 things can get better at all tracks as it definitely seems different local authorities are interpreting the rules for crowds in different ways 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Over the years, in large, speedway has relied on regular fans introducing family members or friends to keep it going. The problem arises when these regulars stop attending or pass away, and then speedway's next generation disappears with them.

The sport is more than just about the racing spectacle. It sounds off-putting, but newcomers need to be introduced to the art of filling in a programme as soon as possible. Otherwise, however thrilling it initially is - four men skidding at speed into bends - it gets tedious before the end of the night when you don't know what's going on. I recall my first visit in 1975. Until I discovered the merits of keeping a programme, it was thrilling but I wasn't hooked.

Perhaps clubs, if they already haven't, should make a special effort to encourage newcomers in groups. Educate them on the basics of the sport and not rely on keeping them just because it's a great spectacle. Speedway is more than that.

Ignoring the moronic posts that seem to have proliferated this thread as regards programmes I do seriously regret having sold all mine as they were a constant source of reference.

I did some 'promotional' talks at some schools some years ago but got very little support from the promoter at the time and it all felt rather flat!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

The Premiership isn't very competitive.

Why did the BSPA allow Peterborough to field 6 number 1s in their side?

Averages you:icon_smile_clown:

22 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Over the years, in large, speedway has relied on regular fans introducing family members or friends to keep it going. The problem arises when these regulars stop attending or pass away, and then speedway's next generation disappears with them.

The sport is more than just about the racing spectacle. It sounds off-putting, but newcomers need to be introduced to the art of filling in a programme as soon as possible. Otherwise, however thrilling it initially is - four men skidding at speed into bends - it gets tedious before the end of the night when you don't know what's going on. I recall my first visit in 1975. Until I discovered the merits of keeping a programme, it was thrilling but I wasn't hooked.

Perhaps clubs, if they already haven't, should make a special effort to encourage newcomers in groups. Educate them on the basics of the sport and not rely on keeping them just because it's a great spectacle. Speedway is more than that.

I saw several Clubs doing excellent work along these lines in 2019. 

Brummies did and I also saw at Redcar; Somerset and Eastbourne on more than one occasion at those Tracks.

The impact of Covid 19 will mean that such schemes have had to be mothballed no doubt but hopefully Clubs won't lose heart and will return to them when they can. 

• Like 2

There appear to have been good sized crowds at early meeting ( except those where locla Covid rules prevent decent numbers attending ) the problem lies with, will those numbers continue throughout the season? Only then can we see if further interest has been lost on average attendences. 

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

There appear to have been good sized crowds at early meeting ( except those where locla Covid rules prevent decent numbers attending ) the problem lies with, will those numbers continue throughout the season? Only then can we see if further interest has been lost on average attendences. 

Pay on the gate needs to return desperately. People need to be able to decide on the day, especially in unsettled weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Pay on the gate needs to return desperately. People need to be able to decide on the day, especially in unsettled weather.

I've booked tickets at 4 tracks where actual event hasn't started.

2 called off before I travelled and got refunds on request same day as request. 1 called after I set off but got easy transfer to next match in one case another match as I was able to prove medical reason for not going. 

Credit to Leicester, Brummies; Eastbourne, Plymouth . Last three of them seem to use same Booking Company.

No complaints from me for those Clubs.

My own personal view is this is safer for me than turning up in damp and meeting being called off after I've travelled or see could of poor races then called off and have to go back weeks or months later.

I do get a sense some Clubs are calling off more with fans in mind than maybe been case in the past.

It will be interesting to see what Clubs do after July 19th assuming it happens

Will they go back to all cash and card, will they go online and cash and card or will some stay online only.

I'll see what happens on 19 July and then aim to see Brummies Away in August and as many other decent looking Fixtures as I can.

Hoping Brummies run next Wednesday, that may need England to lose though tomorrow.

I toyed with Sheffield last night, didn't go, seems I missed an absolute belter. Will do U21 at Redcar next Friday.

Comments on here indicate some clubs really suffered from online whilst others don't seem to be reporting much of a drop off though could be on small capacity sell outs.

West Midlands has been badly affected and both Peter and David and CVS have referred to local fan base and attitude to online. 

11 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

The Premiership isn't very competitive.

Why did the BSPA allow Peterborough to field 6 number 1s in their side?

Oh you mean " Dads Army" the 6 riders "past their best" who everyone wrote off as wooden spoonists at the beginning of the season. :nono:

Highlights the issue that shorn of the GP sooperstars their isnt much left to beat in UK speedway ........ gives the youngsters a chance to learn and hopefully improve.

These experienced " Dads Army" must be laughing all the way to the bank.

33 minutes ago, HGould said:

I've booked tickets at 4 tracks where actual event hasn't started.

2 called off before I travelled and got refunds on request same day as request. 1 called after I set off but got easy transfer to next match in one case another match as I was able to prove medical reason for not going. 

Credit to Leicester, Brummies; Eastbourne, Plymouth . Last three of them seem to use same Booking Company.

No complaints from me for those Clubs.

My own personal view is this is safer for me than turning up in damp and meeting being called off after I've travelled or see could of poor races then called off and have to go back weeks or months later.

I do get a sense some Clubs are calling off more with fans in mind than maybe been case in the past.

It will be interesting to see what Clubs do after July 19th assuming it happens

Will they go back to all cash and card, will they go online and cash and card or will some stay online only.

I'll see what happens on 19 July and then aim to see Brummies Away in August and as many other decent looking Fixtures as I can.

Hoping Brummies run next Wednesday, that may need England to lose though tomorrow.

I toyed with Sheffield last night, didn't go, seems I missed an absolute belter. Will do U21 at Redcar next Friday.

Comments on here indicate some clubs really suffered from online whilst others don't seem to be reporting much of a drop off though could be on small capacity sell outs.

West Midlands has been badly affected and both Peter and David and CVS have referred to local fan base and attitude to online. 

If restrictions on crowd levels are not lifted, some clubs will fold. It's inevitable.

we in the racing fraternity are waiting patiently til july 19, im sure most other sports are like us, praying normality resumes

Just watched Zielona Gora v Czestochowa recorded on Freesports. 

Fantastic advert for the sport.  There appeared to be a great atmosphere in the stadium and the racing was top notch for the most part.  I don't think there was any R/R or guest riders but admitedly I did fast forward as there were long gaps between blocks of heats.  Maybe for TV but certainly too long even if the 15 minutes of action were mostly fantastic.

I'd definitely pay £25+ to see action of that standard and I imagine if someone new to speedway watched it I'm sure it would have caught their interest. Notwithstanding the length of time the meeting took.

Unfortunately this is the benchmark British speedway is up against and  it doesn't compare favourably. Even if you could attract the big names back plenty of tracks are just not conducive to modern racing and/or the stadiums are basic. I can only imagine if someone new to speedway had watched that match on Freesports and thought they'd fancy watching some live action in the UK they'd end up feeling disappointed.   

I know there is no magic wand to resolve this but I've said before, if you can't beat them join them.  Once people decide freedom is worth the risk again if you could enter Belle Vue into the Polish League there'd at least be some top level action supporters could access in this country. Maybe if it was successful in attracting visitors to Manchester other local authorities might be interested in having a similar facility? However fanciful that might seem right now.

Of course it would undermine the position of the Premiership being the top level of sport in the country but that might just temper expectation. Although I'm not sure what that would mean for the pricing.

My general point is that the sport needs to find away of being able to provide a product of comparible standard if there is any chance of attracting a new audience.

• Like 2

Foreign clubs can not join the Ekstraliga.

A British Club may apply to join the Polish League, but has to start in Division Two, like a couple of German clubs did. But this level of competition is worse than what You already have in the SGB Premiership in Britain, perhaps not even as good as SGB Championship. No option for a club like Belle Vue.