British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Is anyone losing interest

It seems as though the promoters are losing interest... This Saturday in the height of the great British summer there is no meeting on anywhere in the UK. As @Gambo has suggested elsewhere this was originally the date scheduled for the British SGP but this was cancelled on April the 16th yet not one promoter has decided to put a meeting on.

Prague GP is on, maybe they didn't want to go against a GP with it being the first of the season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

Prague GP is on, maybe they didn't want to go against a GP with it being the first of the season

Possibly... but it's a sad state of affairs that there is no meeting on anywhere in the country on a Saturday night in the height of the summer without any leagues having any GP riders, no GP being staged in this country for 2 years and it being "televised" behind a pay wall... is that really how confident promoters are in their product?

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

Possibly... but it's a sad state of affairs that there is no meeting on anywhere in the country on a Saturday night in the height of the summer without any leagues having any GP riders, no GP being staged in this country for 2 years and it being "televised" behind a pay wall... is that really how confident promoters are in their product?

Maybe our promoters are so desperate for a full quota of fans these days that they won't risk running against ANYTHING that might keep them away .... Fans are THAT FICKLE!!!!

12 hours ago, iainb said:

It seems as though the promoters are losing interest... This Saturday in the height of the great British summer there is no meeting on anywhere in the UK. As @Gambo has suggested elsewhere this was originally the date scheduled for the British SGP but this was cancelled on April the 16th yet not one promoter has decided to put a meeting on.

I did read Stewart Dickson saying that Leicester had tried but that no one would go there on Saturday?

I'm having a day by the seaside on Sunday to see Eastbourne v Leicester (CL / NDL) Double Header. Nice touch that you can decide mid-match whether you watch just one or both. 

They should be cracking matches and the only real Speedway on the Cardiff GP weekend, other than Mildenhall v Kent NDL also Sunday

I guess that Eagles v Lions could have been Saturday night but that Leicester wanted to keep Saturday free as long as possible in case they got an opponent to come?

Hopefully Eastbourne and Mildenhall are rewarded by a lot of floating support.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HGould said:

I did read Stewart Dickson saying that Leicester had tried but that no one would go there on Saturday?

I'm having a day by the seaside on Sunday to see Eastbourne v Leicester (CL / NDL) Double Header. Nice touch that you can decide mid-match whether you watch just one or both. 

They should be cracking matches and the only real Speedway on the Cardiff GP weekend, other than Mildenhall v Kent NDL also Sunday

I guess that Eagles v Lions could have been Saturday night but that Leicester wanted to keep Saturday free as long as possible in case they got an opponent to come?

Hopefully Eastbourne and Mildenhall are rewarded by a lot of floating support.

...those were the days! A morning's picnic up on Beachy Head and popping down to Arlington for an afternoon meeting followed by an evening walking the prom at Eastbourne!

• Like 1

Nothing new unfortunately, I can recall many seasons within the last decade where you get to the school holidays and Lakeside might have two home meetings during the time over the six weeks.

50 minutes ago, marko said:

Nothing new unfortunately, I can recall many seasons within the last decade where you get to the school holidays and Lakeside might have two home meetings during the time over the six weeks.

A possible "excuse" back in the day may have been the lack of availability of GP riders, that's no excuse now though

Edited by iainb

‘ is anyone losing interest ‘ asks the title ?, well no as you ask. I find the ‘ sport ‘ fascinating now as individual promoters find their own interpretation of the rules ( are there any now ?). Having seen Poole’s and now Birmingham’s line ups for there next matches I am constantly entertained.  A facility granted for a rider who hasn’t ridden for you when that was against the rules but now isn’t ?. A guest for an ‘ injured ‘ rider ( injured in this country allegedly )who is now riding in his own country but not here ? I used to think I understood most of the rules but not any more.

I don’t think we can call speedway a sport for much longer as sports have rules, not guidelines to be used to increase an advantage for some but not all.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ringitsneck said:

‘ is anyone losing interest ‘ asks the title ?, well no as you ask. I find the ‘ sport ‘ fascinating now as individual promoters find their own interpretation of the rules ( are there any now ?). Having seen Poole’s and now Birmingham’s line ups for there next matches I am constantly entertained.  A facility granted for a rider who hasn’t ridden for you when that was against the rules but now isn’t ?. A guest for an ‘ injured ‘ rider ( injured in this country allegedly )who is now riding in his own country but not here ? I used to think I understood most of the rules but not any more.

I don’t think we can call speedway a sport for much longer as sports have rules, not guidelines to be used to increase an advantage for some but not all.

It will always be a 'sport', but one (in the UK), that can never hope to cut through to mainstream coverage given the nonsense that is allowed to carry on...

It seems that due to "covid" we have some strange rules interpretations...

What, I wonder, were the reasons for the many years of the same pre 2021...?:D

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It will always be a 'sport', but one (in the UK), that can never hope to cut through to mainstream coverage given the nonsense that is allowed to carry on...

It seems that due to "covid" we have some strange rules interpretations...

What, I wonder, were the reasons for the many years of the same pre 2021...?:D

Brexit, thatcher, The summer of 76, the Danish invasion, the Swedish invasion, the Polish invasion, the Australian invasion, the Poll tax riots....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Brexit, thatcher, The summer of 76, the Danish invasion, the Swedish invasion, the Polish invasion, the Australian invasion, the Poll tax riots....

Think the Trumpton riots were the last straw for the Chigley track

• Haha 2

Being not too good at pasting links, but surely someone will be able to do it.

Has anyone seen Belle Vue Colts, Paul Bowen basic analysis of what's wrong with speedway on Youtube.

A good watch and analysis.

The main mitigating factor for me is no promoting of the sport in the towns and cities where it is staged, period. 

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Think the Trumpton riots were the last straw for the Chigley track

The Chigley Heathens....?

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

The Chigley Heathens....?

A better name would have been the Chigley 'Wigglies"...  Their line-up was:

1 - Flack (Capt)
2 - Pugh
3 - Pugh
4 - Barney McGrew
5 - Cuthbert
6 - Dibble