British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Is anyone losing interest

Yes Cityrebel and pre internet you could understand it to a point, but once the internet came about there was no excuse for just being honest, it was a meeting at another track, Ronnie had nothing to lose by being honest with the fans, instead he caused resentment which may have affected his home gates moving forward.

I personally would still consider going to a meeting if a promoter was open and honest up front, the promoters do not like the internet because it spoils their ability to fleece the fans and exposes all their wrong doings.

They would  rather tell a lie and say sorry than tell the truth and seek sympathy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, marko said:

Yes Cityrebel and pre internet you could understand it to a point, but once the internet came about there was no excuse for just being honest, it was a meeting at another track, Ronnie had nothing to lose by being honest with the fans, instead he caused resentment which may have affected his home gates moving forward.

I personally would still consider going to a meeting if a promoter was open and honest up front, the promoters do not like the internet because it spoils their ability to fleece the fans and exposes all their wrong doings.

They would  rather tell a lie and say sorry than tell the truth and seek sympathy.

To be fair to Len Silver. After last weeks Kent v Eastbourne fiasco, he did apologise and admit that he got it wrong by not pulling the plug earlier. It was refreshing to hear, when most promoters don't accept liability for anything. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iainb said:

It's a pantomime...

Ohhhh yes it is!

Behind You! Look, back in the last century to some of us it was Much , Much Better ( me included ) and no my cataracts are not rose tinted. 

• Like 2

I just think that all the ,fun,banter,health and safety rules,and most inportantly the characters in the sport,has been replaced by bland meetings that when riders turn up is just a number to them and move on to the next one,

that if you speak out or raise your hand bag you get fined ,no pit phone to add a bit of spice to the meeting,even if the track served up crap racing,at least you had something to talk about!! AT Hackney where i started i was completely hooked not just by the racing but everything else that happened at the meetings with Andy Galvin and co always at the front of it.Today i look at a meeting and ask myself is it really worth the effort,maybe just to see a couple of good heats and nothing else.

Edited by speedwaysliders
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

I just think that all the ,fun,banter,health and safety rules,and most inportantly the characters in the sport,has been replaced by bland meetings that if you speak out or raise your hand bag you get fined ,no pit phone to add a bit of spice to the meeting,even if the track served up crap racing,at least you had something to talk about!! AT Hackney where i started i was completely hooked not just by the racing but everything else that happened at the meetings with Andy Galvin and co always at the front of it.Today i look at a meeting and ask myself is it really worth the effort,maybe just to see a couple of good heats and nothing else.

Just look at the F1 yesterday... it's ignited the whole season!

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, iainb said:

1. Floppy

2. Shaggy

I'm struggling now :D

Pretty sure there’s a couple Dopey’s about:P

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

I just think that all the ,fun,banter,health and safety rules,and most inportantly the characters in the sport,has been replaced by bland meetings that if you speak out or raise your hand bag you get fined ,no pit phone to add a bit of spice to the meeting,even if the track served up crap racing,at least you had something to talk about!! AT Hackney where i started i was completely hooked not just by the racing but everything else that happened at the meetings with Andy Galvin and co always at the front of it.Today i look at a meeting and ask myself is it really worth the effort,maybe just to see a couple of good heats and nothing else.

"Bland"...

Truly a word that should never be allowed to be associated with something so high octane, fast and adrenaline fuelled, as Speedway racing...

Yet your use of it resonates as very apt when describing what gets offered up on far too many occasions.. 

Speedway should be perpetually delivered in "colour" yet, sadly, varying degrees of "grey" seems to be its chosen hue..

• Like 3

nothing bland about the meeting at Peterborough last night (or any of the other ones i have seen there this year)

20 minutes ago, startline sid said:

nothing bland about the meeting at Peterborough last night (or any of the other ones i have seen there this year)

An exceptional track, that will be sorely missed when it eventually goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

An exceptional track, that will be sorely missed when it eventually goes.

It can be, yes. Just like it was the other week against Sheffield when they could have easily called it off.

sorry did i misunderstand  something? the match was called off

9 hours ago, startline sid said:

sorry did i misunderstand  something? the match was called off

the Sheffield match before the Sheffield match that was called off... some superb "proper" Speedway that night. The BV match was good score wise, but the "racing" wasn't up to much imo