British Speedway Forum
Col

Tigers v Aces. 01/07

8 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And good to see Adam racing over here again...

Once again tonight, easily one of the best 3 riders on show....

Ellis? I'd put him behind Holder, Bewley, Kurtz & C Wright as far as his impact on the meeting was concerned but along with Brennan & Rowe he's the only rider I'd not complain about the performance of as a team manager.

Having sat at home in France and watched online as he was taken out in some foreign country, frantically texting his girlfriend at the scene, waiting for what seemed like an eternity to find out if he could move his legs… it’s hard. It’s really hard. 

I despair at the organisation in the UK who really take for granted the talent they have at their resources. The lack of foresight and any semblance of a cohesive plan to forward the sport has been obvious for years. 

Britain could win world cups and world titles if only the powers that be could realise it’s no longer 1974. The world’s moved on. British speedway hasn’t. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, r8gdp said:

That’s true  but what would you do in his situation  we are fans of the sport and tend to to see things differently 

Ride as if it was your club that you are guesting for and it is money at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

This fits in perfectly with the current speedway ethos as it is complete gibberish

Not gibberish at all,But the truth hurts

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

And this anorak style post is why speedway won’t appeal to the masses. 

People thinking it's no more than just 4 blokes going round a track one after the other and no more is why it won"t appeal to the masses.

The masses will have no knowledge of me making a post on a forum and will have no knowledge of the rule book.

Also, riders' families being condescending towards anyone who feels inclined to look at the rules on the bspa website and commenting on them by refering to them as an "anorak" won't help either. 

I've been a fan of speedway since 1974, and the intricacies of the rules and the averages were always a big part of its appeal to me. Sorry if you don't like them.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Rowe’s average is immaterial. Bates is an absent 4* RS, the facility (Reg 12.4.D.1) is a ‘same star rider of lower’. Rowe has a 4* RS grading. It’s unusual circumstances, which may well not have been considered when the rule was written.

So why have a rule that says that they are determined by average once they achieve one? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grachan said:

People thinking it's no more than just 4 blokes going round a track one after the other and no more is why it won"t appeal to the masses.

The masses will have no knowledge of me making a post on a forum and will have no knowledge of the rule book.

Also, riders' families being condescending towards anyone who feels inclined to look at the rules on the bspa website and commenting on them by refering to them as an "anorak" won't help either. 

I've been a fan of speedway since 1974, and the intricacies of the rules and the averages were always a big part of its appeal to me. Sorry if you don't like them.

They'll never learn.

They might work out one day (although somehow I doubt it) that the £20 (and more) that a paying customer shells out every week pays their wages and therefore to keep their stupid comments to themselves. 

The rules of speedway - and in particular averages - are important to every single person who supports a team and, in the case of Rowe's guest appearance, something that has been mentioned several times here and on social media. After all, we are well aware just how crooked speedway can be.

Thanks to Neil Watson for his clarification, and whether the rule is contradictory or not it exists. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Grachan said:

So why have a rule that says that they are determined by average once they achieve one? 

SR 12.3.1 governs a rider’s position in a declared 1-7. Reg 12.4.D.1 dictates their eligibility to guest.

• Like 3

Can see why Sheffield have not been complaining about the restrictions now, while other clubs have been limited to 25-33% of capacity, Sheffield must have been at around 75% last night, locals were saying it was bigger crowd then they were getting pre-covid.

Great atmosphere with a large amount of Aces fans and a nip and tuck meeting. First half of the meeting was poor but second half made up for it.

Rowe although his points on board don’t look much he was the match winner with some of his last gasp passes, don’t know where he got the grip from on the inside of last bend.

Disappointing to lose by 2, but there was couple of mistakes like Richie fall and Etheridge tapes touch in easiest ride.

2 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

SR 12.3.1 governs a rider’s position in a declared 1-7. Reg 12.4.D.1 dictates their eligibility to guest.

Thanks for the clarification, although it does seem a little odd that a rider not riding as a rising star and averaging over 5 points per match can be used in such a way. 

Be careful with the rule quoting. You'll get accused of being an anorak! :)

Difficult to tell of crowds are bigger than pre-covid or not as we’ve lost viewing on the first bend and the bar is closed, so all those people have had to go somewhere else.

That was my first meeting for about 4 seasons and I went with my brother and he hasn't been for about 34 years. We both thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Even the early races were quite closely fought and racing really stepped up after about heat 8. There seemed to me to be a good crowd and, with a lot of Aces fans present, a good atmosphere. I'm glad they don't segregate the fans, would make it too much like football if they did and it's good to chat to fans of both teams and get their perspectives. The lack of segregation is one of the strengths of the sport, in my view.

I was really impressed with the two rising stars on view, both well on the pace and involved in some of the best racing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Thanks for the clarification, although it does seem a little odd that a rider not riding as a rising star and averaging over 5 points per match can be used in such a way. 

Be careful with the rule quoting. You'll get accused of being an anorak! :)

A little odd, it’s bloody ridiculous.

Yet another example of what was basically a good idea (Rising Star) being ruined by rules which yet again work against each other and offer an advantage to one team and disadvantage others.

It could all have been avoided by proper assessed averages for Rising Stars (for those without the appropriate MA) instead of grades and team building built accordingly which most people understand.

• Like 2

Had a great night in sheffield despite the defeat, thats what speedway was all about, 2 good teams going at it right to the end, 

maybe it wasnt a polish type atmosphere but we will never have that, but that was the best atmosphere ive been in since the 2016 play off final with wolves, plenty of aces fans in attendance.

the crowd was a good one, deffo no limit on there crowd as we were all packed in, good to see.

14 hours ago, Col said:

A bit of a slow burner, but definitely improved, the middle few heats especially.
Rowe wins it for Sheffield with two 1 points towards the end when re-passing Brennan and one of the Worrall's.

I'd be interested to hear who the hefty contingent of Ace's fans point the finger as for the loss.  Kurtz was awful first few rides, I've seen him ride Owlerton much better, also allowed Holder to bully him to the first turn in heat 15 and both Worrall's were passed when in points scoring positions. C Wright wasn't gating, Etheridge touching tapes in heat 2 and Bewley started slowly.
For Sheffield, Batchelor isn't right, totally not interested if he doesn't gate, Howarth was entertainingly up & down. After his first ride when he went too wide trying to pass S Worrall when it was never on and it allowed C Wright to pass Ellis did as much as could be expected.  Holder was untouchable except for heat 13, when he retired after a lap - did Batchelor get in his way?  Difficult to tell from bends 3&4.  Barely noticed Sedgmen!  J Wright was on the pace but never looked like scoring.

Having now done all 3 this year, Owlerton is a better drive from North Wolverhampton than NSS & EoESg even when the closest M1 junction to Owlerton is shut south bound on the way home!  With no diversions in place.  So glad I know Worksop has an M1 junction and was sign-posted.

You only had to follow the "diversion signs" & travel north to the Meadowhall junction then come back down the M1 South (approximate 3 miles out of your way!)