British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

BERWICK v NEWCASTLE (Saturday, July 3rd: 7pm)

19 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Now that we've had a shot at guessing the line ups, who fancies having a shot at the crowd capacity for the meeting?

2 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

Take advantage stream it, sure our friends in Edinburgh and Glasgow would rather watch speedway than some football match, probably some in England as well.

Like you say "some" will prefer to watch the Speedway but there will be a % who will stay away to watch the football. Would it not make sense to change start time to say 4pm or 5pm. Like Redcar did  against Glasgow on Sun13th June to stop the clash with the England v Croatia match. Then "Sports Fans" get the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

Giving the restrictions from the Berwick Council I would guess that was a non-starter.

41 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Berwick Rangers are at home

Yes just spotted that. What on earth are they doing playing in the middle of the speedway/cricket season. Thought they would be on a beach somewhere. End of June League Football???

35 minutes ago, slyfox said:

Yes just spotted that. What on earth are they doing playing in the middle of the speedway/cricket season. Thought they would be on a beach somewhere. End of June League Football???

Berwick Rangers v North Shields kick off 2pm, tickets available. 

Just call it off, Newcastle fans don’t want to travel to watch their crap team, and Berwick fans would rather watch Englands Q/F, there’s a spare weekend in a couple weeks from the Cardiff gap, the week after is NL only, could double header that, or if not, 4th September, all better options than this Saturday 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Just call it off, Newcastle fans don’t want to travel to watch their crap team, and Berwick fans would rather watch Englands Q/F, there’s a spare weekend in a couple weeks from the Cardiff gap, the week after is NL only, could double header that, or if not, 4th September, all better options than this Saturday 

Still got to fit in last week's postponed meeting as well 

5 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

I am sure they will be counting and keeping check on pre-meeting ticket sales, if they aren't crash hot I would expect an announcement on our excellent official site sometime Friday.

9 hours ago, topsoil said:

My favourite memory of Newcastle matches was Peter Waite getting thrown in the fountain by the riders after we won at Brough Park round about 2006 or 7?

Was it as late as that cos I remember Claus being around for that?! 
definitely wouldn’t have been 2007... we only won 3 meetings all year that year I think it was :sad:

9 hours ago, topsoil said:

My favourite memory of Newcastle matches was Peter Waite getting thrown in the fountain by the riders after we won at Brough Park round about 2006 or 7?

8 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

Was it as late as that cos I remember Claus being around for that?! 
definitely wouldn’t have been 2007... we only won 3 meetings all year that year I think it was :sad:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/speedway-two-riders-sacked-1625762

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Will it though he had to ride 4Home 4 Away.He is arising star.Who knows!!

As I think I said originally, Leon stays at reserve throughout July.

The 4 x 4 thing is irrelevant, he's on a full rolling average, although this has risen impressively from (the minimum) 3.00 to 4.83 since the start of the season.

However, as this is still below Coty (4.95) or Kasper (4.86) he remains as a reserve (Rising Star status won't protect him if he improves above a member of the 1-5) until at least July 31st.

As both James and Sarah have mentioned in their Dirt Xtra blogs this week, Kasper has to fulfil a strangely-timed lunchtime match in Denmark on Saturday, and because he hasn't yet raced for Berwick we cannot claim his services yet.      

So back to r/r this weekend, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, screm said:

I am sure they will be counting and keeping check on pre-meeting ticket sales, if they aren't crash hot I would expect an announcement on our excellent official site sometime Friday.

Technically, one of the advantages of being all e-ticket -- this isn't specific to Berwick -- I see is that in the case of a rain-off, a promotion really only needs to (a) immediately halt ticket sales and (b) notify ticket-holders while immediately refunding their money.

Anyone intending to travel, or pick up a late ticket would learn that the meeting was cancelled when they tried to buy their ticket.

Thus, anyone who really needed to know of a cancellation would learn right away.      

But of course, in such a case the promotion of the track concerned will also notify the BSPL Press Office, who circulate the news, as well as the club presumably placing the information on their own social media. 

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Not all Berwick fans are English.

• Like 1