British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Glasgow v Plymouth CL 2/7/21 @19-30

That was a downpour and a half . There was a Somerset KO Cup.match a few years ago.that got stopped in.similar monsoon conditions , but I think.the rain tonight was even worse than that day . Brilliant sunshine up until.7-20 , then that . You couldn't make it up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MD said:

F@#£ing weather!!!!

Spot on. After a glorious week of warm weather in Glasgow it starts to rain at Ashfield not long  before tapes-up and kept on going until it was called off. Other parts of the central belt had little or no rain apparently, just our luck. Feel sorry for those that travelled up from England.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MD said:

F@#£ing weather!!!!

…….and F@#£ing weather forecasters. “Light rain showers”…….aye, that’ll be right………

Couldn’t believe just as my partner & I waved when the announcer asked if anyone had traveled up from sunny! Devon the heavens opened! Did fill my Tennents up almost quicker than I could drink it! Talked to some very friendly people & had more drinks in the bar before getting train back to city centre. Gutted I didn’t see any speedway but will make the effort to go back once I’ve dried out!!

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Red flag, Google makes it 484 miles Plymouth to Glasgow. I have travelled some miles in my time to see meetings rained off , but that must be hard to beat! 

Luckily I live in Exeter so can knock off 40!!

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Red flag, Google makes it 484 miles Plymouth to Glasgow. I have travelled some miles in my time to see meetings rained off , but that must be hard to beat! 

Throw in traveling to Newcastle last weekend for nothing I think I should stop going to away meetings as I’m obviously a jinx!!

6 minutes ago, Redflag said:

Throw in traveling to Newcastle last weekend for nothing I think I should stop going to away meetings as I’m obviously a jinx!!

Sorry you had a wasted journey , was brilliant sunshine all week up until ten minutes before the tapes were due to go up . Nobody could really believe how hard it came down , we stayed for a few pints and within an hour the track could have probably held racing , bit too late though . 

Hope you can manage back one day and actually get to see some racing on our fantastic track 

• Like 1

Once a meeting at Craven Park Hull in 1999 was rained off, I should say 'monsooned off'.  As I drove into CP car park you know those videos of folk on a Niagra Falls boat trip and they ride under a wall of water, it was just like that.  20-odd year ago rain offs apart, I also recall in Scunny's CL days, the fixtures fell, CL, KOC, rain off replay?, that Plymouth visited 2 or maybe even 3 consecutive weeks.  Now compared to Glasgow Scunny is relatively 'just up the road' but, each time half or dozen or more Plymouth fans turned up wearing team caps, most with 'red devil' capes.  Good stuff....

Edited by martinmauger
speeling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Once traveled from Workington on a bank holiday  to Oxford in morning then Swindon in the evening both called off around start time due to massive rain showers !!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Redflag said:

Couldn’t believe just as my partner & I waved when the announcer asked if anyone had traveled up from sunny! Devon the heavens opened! Did fill my Tennents up almost quicker than I could drink it! Talked to some very friendly people & had more drinks in the bar before getting train back to city centre. Gutted I didn’t see any speedway but will make the effort to go back once I’ve dried out!!

Lol……Karma.  My wife and I were in Devon for the rained off Plymouth/Glasgow meeting but at least we hadn’t travelled specifically to attend. Feel for you Redflag but don’t let it put you off….do please make a return visit.

• Like 1

Watching your team away is great but rain is a b—-er. As a family we have travelled to watch Poole at Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Edinburgh only to be rained off. However most away matches have been fine.

Never the less it never stopped us travelling. Don’t do it now as age creeps up but would not have missed it.

Edited by Sherborne Green
  • Like 2

Could any Glasgow fans tell me if ticket refunds automatically happen or do I have to apply for a refund through the ticket company? Thanks in advance 

2 hours ago, Redflag said:

Could any Glasgow fans tell me if ticket refunds automatically happen or do I have to apply for a refund through the ticket company? Thanks in advance 

We're in new ground for this kind of thing . We had tickets for Berwick v Glasgow last Saturday,  which was rained off , and we got refunded by the Tuesday without having to do anything . I'm sure Glasgow will be the same , just keep an eye on your bank account 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redflag said:

I'd be very very disappointed if this didn't just happen automatically.

Truthfully I was a wee bit pleasantly surprised how quickly and uneventful the Berwick refund was. 

This is no diss on Berwick, more on refunds in general. 

My partner and I booked a Cardiff city centre chain hotel two years ago for the GP last year and we're still waiting on a refund, over a year since applying for it. 

Truth be told it was actually through a booking agent, unbeknownst to us.

Apparently based in Spain, and after Brexit, well who the hell is going to force them to pay up?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1