British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazysue

Mildenhall v Berwick 4th July

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site please? If so,  could you please send me a private message which includes your mobile phone number  

Thanks 

The meeting was cancelled at 6pm without a wheel being turned  - heavy rain at 3pm and the track work was in vain.

As soon as I saw the massive tractor and a grader go on to the track I knew it was all over.  So much clay in the track it just rolls it into lumps.  Then the more laps the bigger the clods get. 

Feel for everyone who had to stand around and watch the disaster unfold today. Rain shower couldn't be helped, 2 hour track work was a questionable choice and spending 3 hours to no avail is ridiculous.  A lot of folks could have been home by then or certainly close. I admire the optimism but ive stood and watched these debarcles at Mildenhall before and the track can rarely be saved. Bad day at the office for all involved and another mess the sport can ill afford. 

• Like 2

Another Sunday, another Mildenall disaster.

The promotion needs to get a grip.

The meeting literally had the "rug pulled from underneath" it when it started raining right on at 3pm then stopped at 3.30pm which gave the promotors the idea of trying to salvage the meeting and prevent the Berwick boys incurring heavy costs by returning for the restaging.

I thought the track looked tricky but rideable when Bickley and Jenkins had a spin and looked to ride easier the more they rode but they told the ref it wasn't so that was that.

Not a good advert but like I said, circumstances were against the promotion.

20 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

The meeting literally had the "rug pulled from underneath" it when it started raining right on at 3pm then stopped at 3.30pm which gave the promotors the idea of trying to salvage the meeting and prevent the Berwick boys incurring heavy costs by returning for the restaging.

I thought the track looked tricky but rideable when Bickley and Jenkins had a spin and looked to ride easier the more they rode but they told the ref it wasn't so that was that.

Not a good advert but like I said, circumstances were against the promotion.

Whilst admirable of the Mildenhall promotion to try and save further costs for both sides it dramatically backfired and left them looking very much the poorer because of it. Has the track team changed or are the stubborn old guard still present because thay surface is very difficult to save when heavy. 

Hats off to Jenkins and Bickley for being honest and considering the riders of all grades in each side. Mildenhall can be an unforgiving track when things go wrong. 

Dont be too hard on the Mildenhall promotion they drew the short straw today.

The track was dry at 2.45 at 3.15 Mark Spitz did a lap of honour doing the breaststroke. I left at that point realising that there was no chance of any racing and only riding isn't speedway for me.

I presume that the real motivation for trying to "get to 10 heats" was to avoid all the re-admission tickets (i was pleasantly surprised how many were in the stadium) for another meeting. This would have been a big loss for the promotion in an already tough financial year.

As a Rayleigh then Rye House fan I am far from a Mildenhall supporter but I do urge fans to put today down to bad luck and continue to support the club through the rest of the year.

• Like 1

With the amount of rain that came at 2.55 it was obvious that it should have been called off. Sadly I have seen this so many times and the tracks are rarely salvageable 

Rider safety is of paramount importance and watching  Jordan Jenkins hit the third bend then almost hit the air fence on the fourth Bend showed it would be dangerous to continue

Unfortunately that’s not what the discussion is really about. Having done eighty miles to get there the last thing I wanted was to sit there watching tractors circulate the track. Not only should the Promotion and the referee be concerned about rider safety but also the effect of a disastrous two and a half hours on the public.

ultimately the chatter I heard as people left was hardly praiseworthy of the efforts to get racing but more along the lines of should have called it off and there was never going to be racing after that rain

A lot of damage was done to Mildenhall today I will return but only to use the readmission ticket. I chose Mildenhall today Over a closer option at Eastbourne because I value clubs like Mildenhall more. I feel for the Promotion and for the Berwick side but on a personal note 6hrs wasted on top of fuel etc hasn’t gone down well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, westhamboy66 said:

With the amount of rain that came at 2.55 it was obvious that it should have been called off. Sadly I have seen this so many times and the tracks are rarely salvageable 

Rider safety is of paramount importance and watching  Jordan Jenkins hit the third bend then almost hit the air fence on the fourth Bend showed it would be dangerous to continue

Unfortunately that’s not what the discussion is really about. Having done eighty miles to get there the last thing I wanted was to sit there watching tractors circulate the track. Not only should the Promotion and the referee be concerned about rider safety but also the effect of a disastrous two and a half hours on the public.

ultimately the chatter I heard as people left was hardly praiseworthy of the efforts to get racing but more along the lines of should have called it off and there was never going to be racing after that rain

A lot of damage was done to Mildenhall today I will return but only to use the readmission ticket. I chose Mildenhall today Over a closer option at Eastbourne because I value clubs like Mildenhall more. I feel for the Promotion and for the Berwick side but on a personal note 6hrs wasted on top of fuel etc hasn’t gone down well. 

There was a downpour at Eastbourne right on start time, but luckily it didn't last long enough to do too much damage.