British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn v Ipswich 05/07/21

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Wrong kind of Visa so rumour has it.

From what I have heard repeatedly on Edinburgh Live Stream Commentary they keep questioning why no Premiership Club has picked up Picko already.  Have never heard either of the commentators mention any stumbling blocks such as wrong type of Visa and both seem to know Josh very well.   Lynn is the type of track which would suit young Josh down to the ground with plenty of grip and wide open spaces to wind it on.  Pickering is certainly one of the most entertaining riders I can recall seeing in recent years.   Every race 100% effort and a never give up attitude and he can score plenty points too ( mostly from the back ).   Try to chose a race of the season and you will find that Josh has been in most of them.  Getting better all the time too - it would be a great shame if was a Visa issue that was keeping him back.   Looks as if KL may well have to go back to the drawing board anyway to turn round their season and this kind of move may prove to be the catalyst.

Check out some of his races and make up your own mind !

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rickyb said:

I beg to differ too, making it safe is doing a whole lot for the spectators.

It is not just cosmetic

I would think that many would agree with me that the viewing experience was better when I travelled from Norwich for every meeting in the mid to late seventies.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

You just really do wonder whether there is a more deep seated problem at Kings Lynn.   Well that's half a team and a team manager now gone from Kings Lynn 2021. By "mutual consent" seems to be  the common theme.   "Going in a different direction"   I still cannot undestand the Craig Cook fiasco - once he left KL he hasn't looked back, and yes he cann ride the Kings Lynn track (as he proved last night)

Maybe the trouble starts at the top ?????????????????

Doesn't the man at the top not even talk to his own son... "by mutual consent"? Seems like a bit of a Sociopath

Edited by iainb

Stock car catch fence is not an issue when you stand on terraces nor when you sit in the 'royal box'.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I beg to differ , if you are at track level the fence obscures the view. As I have said many times the undoubted cosmetic upgrade of the Stadium has done little or nothing for spectators

Several years ago, long before Brandon closed, a similar fence was erected for safety reasons at stock car meetings. We were told it was mandatory. Generally speaking it wasn't too much of a problem when watching the speedway, except when the sun caught it at a certain angle. Then you couldn't see anything. Ironically, I think it would have been a lot better if they'd painted it black.

As a complete outsider, King's Lynn seem to be in complete melt down.

Whatever our personal opinions of anyone associated with the club, it's sad to see. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Personally I wouldn't watch speedway at a track If I had to peer through a mesh fence which is bound to degrade the viewing experience. 

From most viewpoints around the stadium you hardly notice the catch fence is there, it does not impede the view. Plus you have the comfort of knowing it should stop any errant machinery from descending onto the terraces. If you haven't been there to see it you cannot say it will degrade the viewing experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Potman said:

From most viewpoints around the stadium you hardly notice the catch fence is there, it does not impede the view. Plus you have the comfort of knowing it should stop any errant machinery from descending onto the terraces. If you haven't been there to see it you cannot say it will degrade the viewing experience.

Having stood on the Lynn terraces and had at different times had 2 bikes (David Norris was one, forgot the other) and one rider ( Dukie Ermolenko) fly over the fence and land within feet of me, I was quite pleased to see the fencing installed. The benefit of safety far outweighs the very small effect on the view. 

• Like 3

The only reason anyone would see the catch fence as a problem is because the racing is just so bad. 

If there was good racing the fencing wouldn't be talked about 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The only reason anyone would see the catch fence as a problem is because the racing is just so bad. 

If there was good racing the fencing wouldn't be talked about 

I thought the racing was ok on Monday. But people are moaning. I don't know how many of them have watched it live though, if any on this thread, would be my guess. You get used to it, i don't even think about it until it's mentioned.  

• Like 1

I watched it avidly Live on TV. Got a vastly better view of every aspect of the racing than I did from the disabled bench I used to occupy on a regular basis. Live TV for me and I would happily pay for a Live Stream view ( not going to be of that standard I know ) while Delta variant endangers many of the Vulnerable Elerly ( and that will get worse for the rest of the season under B.J. "freedom" policy ). And there were six races worthy of the name on Monday, with a pass or a distinct possibiility of one - again an improvement on season 2019 , where if you got 3 races in a match you had done well.

• Like 1

WtoG….. the like is for you reference to health problems and your reason not to go.

Many think come July 17 the terraces will be packed. They may well be but it’s certain there are many like yourself with health problems who won’t go because of the current situation which will be made worse for many come July 17.  
In the late 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and up got early 80’s I was an avid BV fan, every Saturday night during the season. Drifted away, didn’t see much of the Sky tv racing, but came back in 2013 by going to Cardiff, and in 2014 and 2015.  Only been to 2 live meetings other then Cardiff, the World Team Championship 2016 at BV and late 2019 to watch the Colts thrash Mildenhall if I remember correctly. I pay BT to watch speedway gp’s and MotoGP’s on tv/tablet plus whatever other motor sports that take my fancy and that’s it.  I would be very cautious at going to any stadium meeting at the moment, seems like too many supporters just dying to get together in groups chatting etc because “that’s what speedway supporters do”, yes maybe when it’s safe to do so but just because the government is relaxing rules doesn’t mean to say COVID has agreed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

WtoG….. the like is for you reference to health problems and your reason not to go.

Many think come July 17 the terraces will be packed. They may well be but it’s certain there are many like yourself with health problems who won’t go because of the current situation which will be made worse for many come July 17.  
In the late 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and up got early 80’s I was an avid BV fan, every Saturday night during the season. Drifted away, didn’t see much of the Sky tv racing, but came back in 2013 by going to Cardiff, and in 2014 and 2015.  Only been to 2 live meetings other then Cardiff, the World Team Championship 2016 at BV and late 2019 to watch the Colts thrash Mildenhall if I remember correctly. I pay BT to watch speedway gp’s and MotoGP’s on tv/tablet plus whatever other motor sports that take my fancy and that’s it.  I would be very cautious at going to any stadium meeting at the moment, seems like too many supporters just dying to get together in groups chatting etc because “that’s what speedway supporters do”, yes maybe when it’s safe to do so but just because the government is relaxing rules doesn’t mean to say COVID has agreed.

The crowds at Lynn look the same to me as 2019. (Apart from Mondays live meeting, which was almost empty). Only difference i can see is 95% are wearing masks. I have a lung condition, but have had both jabs, i still go, and although i don't have to wear a mask, i do wear one of the blue NHS type as i find i can breath a little better than the cloth types.I hope  we can get back to normal soon, and the fans that are not coming feel like they can.

On 7/6/2021 at 4:11 PM, TheScotsman said:

Quite possibly.

But these things can readily be overcome - if there's a will.

Might cost a couple of quid but got to be worth it.

I don't know all the rule's & regs about visa's & permit's but as I wanted to change a permit when I was very much younger & I was in NZ I was unable to change it in NZ & was instructed that I would need to go to another country to make the change to an existing permit. I declined & decided to go on to Australia as I had already planned. Still love NZ.