British Speedway Forum
chris4gillian

Nicki P in trouble once again and potentially banned!

Having viewed the races (thanks Racers & Royals) I think only the first one (heat 4) was his fault.  He took Kildemand by surprise clearly and he did do a bit of a Pawlicki and came down easily but there looked to be some contact (and Pedersen himself has done this many times as well when passed on the inside, particularly on the first turn).

But, he definitely did not deserve to be exclude for heat 18 and 20.  There was clear space and for heat 18, they went into the bend side by side and the rider on the outside should have known they'd run out of room.  His questioning of the ref was justified but not knowing what he said then I cannot comment on the ban being deserved or not.

It did always get people energised though when a rider remonstrated with the ref, whether on the phone or in person and as not as no serious threats are made I don't see the harm in that.  I remember McEnroe in tennis using some choice language towards umpires/camera operators and other 'officials' which made him box office also. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Debbi said:

Cheers, I assumed that it would only be a DMU licence that would be affected and if you took out another under a different nationality then fair game!

One season, one license. As a Dane for him to get a Spanish license, he needs DMU permission. Cant see that happening at the moment.

21 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

My favourite  "vist to the refs box" was a young Martin Goodwin at Hackney .....who managed to smash a pane of glass in the refs box with his crash hat .  He was lucky he made it back to the pits surrounded as he was by booing Hackney Fans. Gave us all a good laughat the time.  

i was going to mention this too :D

Buster climbing up to clean the ref window too is another

Edited by stevehone
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevehone said:

i was going to mention this too :D

Buster climbing up to clean the ref window too is another

I remember that but i thought it was Gordon Kennett,but my i cant rember yesterday.But a lot of fun in those days with Andy Galvin even if he wasnt involved in a race ,would always be in the thick of things with handbags flying machanic always by his side to support him.Great entertainment to spice things up with knowone really getting nasty.I miss those days,when the CarrBrothers,Brett saunders,m Fiora,M puzy coming down from up north.

• Like 1

Sad to see the ban for Nicki. I am a self acclaimed Nicki's no1 fan having signed him in 1998 for the Diamonds, and selling him to Wolverhampton the following year. When you get close and understand him, he is the ultimate sportsman. and will take every opportunity to get the win. Yes, he goes overboard sometimes but, like in the cases with Zagar, it is  a carryover from a previous clash when Nicki had got done.  These spats go on, and continue for sometime years, and refs know that and as long as there is no injuries and it's just being competitive, the ref will allow it and the majority of fans will see what they have expected and paid for. There are others on this Forum, also close to him, and they will tell you what a great guy he is when he has gained your trust. He is intelligent, mannerly,  respectful and  has you as a contact and a friend for life. I am lucky in having worked with him, so I admit I can be biased when I see his crashes, and I have to step back and have a rethink sometimes. Refs do get it wrong of course, as in the case in 1998 at Stoke for the first time, when Nicki overtook Paul Pickering on the second bend and Paul somehow dropped his bike. The ref then excluded Nicki despite all the protests. At the end of the meeting, the ref approached our Team manager George English and apologised for his error saying he thought it was Ronni Pedersen. :o Just shows that some refs can also carry the grudge, not just fellow riders.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Have on film Alan Wilkinson's trip to the box at King's Lynn...wouldn't have wanted to get on the wrong side of "Wilkie".

I was there that day. It was so funny to see the reaction of Eric Boocock and Chris Morton who were talking on the centre green when they saw what Wilkie was going to do!

You could almost see the blood drain from their faces before they ran after him across the grass (didn't catch him though :lol:)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

Bloke is box office and every promoter in this country would have him in their lineup no question if they could afford him. 100% of the fans would have him also if he was on their team. He’s only a pariah if you don’t have him.....

Hes owned by Wolverhampton but will never be welcomed back by club or supporters after his exploits.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Sad to see the ban for Nicki. I am a self acclaimed Nicki's no1 fan having signed him in 1998 for the Diamonds, and selling him to Wolverhampton the following year. When you get close and understand him, he is the ultimate sportsman. and will take every opportunity to get the win. Yes, he goes overboard sometimes but, like in the cases with Zagar, it is  a carryover from a previous clash when Nicki had got done.  These spats go on, and continue for sometime years, and refs know that and as long as there is no injuries and it's just being competitive, the ref will allow it and the majority of fans will see what they have expected and paid for. There are others on this Forum, also close to him, and they will tell you what a great guy he is when he has gained your trust. He is intelligent, mannerly,  respectful and  has you as a contact and a friend for life. I am lucky in having worked with him, so I admit I can be biased when I see his crashes, and I have to step back and have a rethink sometimes. Refs do get it wrong of course, as in the case in 1998 at Stoke for the first time, when Nicki overtook Paul Pickering on the second bend and Paul somehow dropped his bike. The ref then excluded Nicki despite all the protests. At the end of the meeting, the ref approached our Team manager George English and apologised for his error saying he thought it was Ronni Pedersen. :o Just shows that some refs can also carry the grudge, not just fellow riders.

How did you come across Nikki?

12 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

How did you come across Nikki?

The then owner of Brough Park went bust in about July 97 which was our first year. We were allowed to complete the season under the guidance of KPMG the receivers. it was offered for sale on the market and 3 potential buyers were identified. All three guaranteed to continue with speedway if they bought Brough Park, and we advised the BSPA we were OK for 1998. We are put in the Cups and included in the Premier League, and in mid January the sale was completed with Alan Roberts Bookmakers and we confirmed were were running. Obviously we owned Jesper from 1997 but we needed two more heat leaders. Brent Werner, a Yank, was available and lived in England, and then we heard that Nicki was looking for a teamplace but everyone  else was fixed up. He knew of Jesper and he was easily persuaded to join a fellow Dane in his first year racing in this country. He picked up all of his brother Ronni's contacts, so therefore had lodgings with a guy in Peterborough. He stayed overnight with Jesper when he had away and home meetings up North.

On April 1st we got an invoice for £5 k from the BSPA for failure to declare we were running within their agreed timetable. Barstewards :o

To pick up on a point Wolfie456 was alluding to I think. With him staying down south he missed out on all the local functions and meeting the fans away from the track. He has admitted to me that was a mistake, and he wished he had connected with our fans by being with us at such events. However he has on every available occasion since, made up for that and at Cardiff he never forgets his Geordie fans and loves to chat and spend time with them. We stayed in the BSPA hotel once, the Marriott I think, and he  was overwhelmed to see all my family remembering all their names except our Lee's boyfriend (now fiance) who was an addition to the family then. He knows he missed out with the fans, and even missed out with the Wolves fans despite the journey home was shorter. He was a bit more withdrawn then, and preferred to head on home alone straightaway after the meeting with a long journey to get home.. 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The then owner of Brough Park went bust in about July 97 which was our first year. We were allowed to complete the season under the guidance of KPMG the receivers. it was offered for sale on the market and 3 potential buyers were identified. All three guaranteed to continue with speedway if they bought Brough Park, and we advised the BSPA we were OK for 1998. We are put in the Cups and included in the Premier League, and in mid January the sale was completed with Alan Roberts Bookmakers and we confirmed were were running. Obviously we owned Jesper from 1997 but we needed two more heat leaders. Brent Werner, a Yank, was available and lived in England, and then we heard that Nicky was looking for a teamplace but everyone  else was fixed up. He knew of Jesper and he was easily persuaded to join a fellow Dane in his first year racing in this country. He picked up all of his brother Ronni's contacts, so therefore had lodgings with a guy in Peterborough. He stayed overnight with Jesper when he had away and home meetings up North.

To pick up on a point Wolfie456 was alluding to I think. With him staying down south he missed out on all the local functions and meeting the fans away from the track. He has admitted to me that was a mistake, and he wished he had connected with our fans by being with us at such events. However he has on every available occasion since, made up for that and at Cardiff he never forgets his Geordie fans and loves to chat and spend time with them. We stayed in the BSPA hotel once, the Marriott I think, and he  was overwhelmed to see all my family remembering all their names except our Lee's boyfriend (now fiance) who was an addition to the family then. He knows he missed out with the fans, and even missed out with the Wolves fans despite the journey home was shorter. He was a bit more withdrawn then, and preferred to head on home straightaway after the meeting with a long journey to get home.. 

Thanks for that Dave, I’m a huge fan of Nikki, he is the Michael Schumacher of speedway.

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:11 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

My favourite  "vist to the refs box" was a young Martin Goodwin at Hackney .....who managed to smash a pane of glass in the refs box with his crash hat .  He was lucky he made it back to the pits surrounded as he was by booing Hackney Fans. Gave us all a good laughat the time.  

1 hour ago, Diamondboy said:

Thanks for that Dave, I’m a huge fan of Nikki, he is the Michael Schumacher of speedway.

No it was an away meeting at Coventry that finished him for wolves fans.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BobC said:

Of the three incidents, the only one I would have excluded him for was Ht18.

In Ht4, Kildemand used the old dying swan act. Known for it.

Ht20, Birkmose showed his lack of experience going into a turn. He left a gap which Nicki exploited.

I dont blame him for wanting an explanation from the referee. Maybe he went over the top, I dont know, I wasnt there.

Just my opinion, of course.

Agree with you... well at least 66.6%

Killer falls off if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction and he seemed alright with it after the incident

With Lahti, Nicki didn't move off his line, was marginally in front when Lahti came off, there was still a lot of track left to ride and the throttle goes both ways

Birkemose would do well to wind his neck in and show a bit more respect to the 3 x World Champ, all his histrionics after the incident was embarrassing

To be involved in 3 incidents in one night is unusual and the law of averages says there's going to be one wrong decision, no excuse for any alleged violent behaviour but nothing wrong with a frank exchange of opinions

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Agree with you... well at least 66.6%

Killer falls off if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction and he seemed alright with it after the incident

With Lahti, Nicki didn't move off his line, was marginally in front when Lahti came off, there was still a lot of track left to ride and the throttle goes both ways

Birkemose would do well to wind his neck in and show a bit more respect to the 3 x World Champ, all his histrionics after the incident was embarrassing

To be involved in 3 incidents in one night is unusual and the law of averages says there's going to be one wrong decision, no excuse for any alleged violent behaviour but nothing wrong with a frank exchange of opinions

Did you watch the right meeting? I recall that Lahti incident from weeks back…

6 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Did you watch the right meeting? I recall that Lahti incident from weeks back…

Followed the link R&R posted