British Speedway Forum
chris4gillian

Nicki P in trouble once again and potentially banned!

On 7/7/2021 at 10:09 PM, Wolfie456 said:

No it was an away meeting at Coventry that finished him for wolves fans.

Following his antics the evening before when Wolves rode at Oxford.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, The White Knight said:

I'm no fan of Pedersen but this does look like the Referee did have it in for him.

Referees don't half have life easy these days. 'Visiting' the Referee was a common occurrence years ago. It used to entertain the crowd too. I can remember a number of Riders popping into the Referee's box to dispute a decision. It was fun, all the booing and cheering, depending on which team you supported was all part of the Sport and the entertainment.

Ah well, "The past is another country, they do things differently there". (Quote: L. P. Hartley).

And i remember one rider known for his visits would stand there waving his arms asking how the refs kids were, it used to be part of the show. But with sgp things have become too serious

• Like 1

Eric Boocock mentions in his excellent book "Booey, Around In Circles" that he once saw a lady fan climb the ladder to the refs box at Halifax to protest his exclusion. 

He later found out - it was his own mum (!) :o....

• Like 3

On 7/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, Tsunami said:

Sad to see the ban for Nicki. I am a self acclaimed Nicki's no1 fan having signed him in 1998 for the Diamonds, and selling him to Wolverhampton the following year. When you get close and understand him, he is the ultimate sportsman. and will take every opportunity to get the win. Yes, he goes overboard sometimes but, like in the cases with Zagar, it is  a carryover from a previous clash when Nicki had got done.  These spats go on, and continue for sometime years, and refs know that and as long as there is no injuries and it's just being competitive, the ref will allow it and the majority of fans will see what they have expected and paid for. There are others on this Forum, also close to him, and they will tell you what a great guy he is when he has gained your trust. He is intelligent, mannerly,  respectful and  has you as a contact and a friend for life. I am lucky in having worked with him, so I admit I can be biased when I see his crashes, and I have to step back and have a rethink sometimes. Refs do get it wrong of course, as in the case in 1998 at Stoke for the first time, when Nicki overtook Paul Pickering on the second bend and Paul somehow dropped his bike. The ref then excluded Nicki despite all the protests. At the end of the meeting, the ref approached our Team manager George English and apologised for his error saying he thought it was Ronni Pedersen. :o Just shows that some refs can also carry the grudge, not just fellow riders.

I'm a fan of Nicki too, have been ever since he ran an Interspan training school at Newport which my lad attended. World Champion at the time he was out in the pouring rain all day and nothing was too much trouble for him, he was working on kids bikes, pushing them to get them started and explaining everything to them with a smile. Very different to a couple of the riders generally perceived to be 'nice' who did the minimum to collect the money.

One of the nicest guys you could ever meet with no hint of the aggression he can show on track, to be fair there are many times you wouldn't want to be an on track opponent but off track a great bloke.

As for arguing with the ref, they should get a bonus not a fine. Same with punch ups between riders which will always get spectators through the gate for future meetings. As far as I'm concerned the riders should be allowed to get on with it but any non rider or rider not in that meeting hitting a rider should be banned from the pits for life.

Edited by Vince
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, racers and royals said:

The meeting Nicki got the ban for was on June 2nd.

My bad then, had no idea this had been going on for a month. 

Like I said at the time, Lahti incident was just speedway, if Kildemand was involved he’s to blame so that only leaves the third incident. What a wänccer of a ref! He should stay home.

54 minutes ago, Vince said:

I'm a fan of Nicki too, have been ever since he ran an Interspan training school at Newport which my lad attended. World Champion at the time he was out in the pouring rain all day and nothing was too much trouble for him, he was working on kids bikes, pushing them to get them started and explaining everything to them with a smile. Very different to a couple of the riders generally perceived to be 'nice' who did the minimum to collect the money.

One of the nicest guys you could ever meet with no hint of the aggression he can show on track, to be fair there are many times you wouldn't want to be an on track opponent but off track a great bloke.

As for arguing with the ref, they should get a bonus not a fine. Same with punch ups between riders which will always get spectators through the gate for future meetings. As far as I'm concerned the riders should be allowed to get on with it but any non rider or rider not in that meeting hitting a rider should be banned from the pits for life.

Slight parallel with Jack Millen...hard as nails on track but apparently a very nice guy off it where helping fellow riders was never too much trouble (unless you were Frank Auffret!) As regards Pedersen I can only comment on what I saw on track and certainly during his short spell at Cowley and never warmed to him. Was glad when Greg Hancock joned the team who had a bettter understanding of team ethics and went about helping his partner on track unlike Pedersen.

Good to see the threat of a ban has been lifted, Nicki is in the line up tonight in Poland 

• Like 2

Just now, iris123 said:

Nicki posted yesterday that he got a call from his lawyer to say the ban was lifted and he had a few tears on his eyes

Fair enough, not seen that.  Maybe the SGP will update the article accordingly in due course.

The ban has not been lifted. Punishment has been suspended, pending the hearing of his appeal.

However there must be a good chance that when the appeal is heard the punishment will be reduced.

54 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The ban has not been lifted. Punishment has been suspended, pending the hearing of his appeal.

However there must be a good chance that when the appeal is heard the punishment will be reduced.

Probably reduced to 3 months covering Nov to Feb ;)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Yes, and the hearing must be held within 30 days.

5 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Probably reduced to 3 months covering Nov to Feb ;)

That would be good . We could use him at Sheffield as a replacement rs for josh Bates lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1