Rob B

Ipswich v Belle Vue 8 July

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

And did you get a reply ?

"In the interest of Speedway"?

:D

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

And did you get a reply ?

Not yet, but I see that Leicester’s press release refers to the Thompsons getting averages. Any achieved MA for an RS rider will be used for team positioning but won’t count towards the team’s total points so unlikely to affect Kemp’s position.

Edited by NeilWatson

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

Spot on...

The 19 people who run the sport in the UK obviously 100% know that the way they run it won't ever get any cut through with a wider sporting audience, nor get any mainstream coverage, nor bring in any large companies to sponsor it with big money, however..

They seem more than happy with what they deliver, so what we have now is simply what we will always get...

The downside to it is the obvious one of over time, you will inevitably lose more fans than you attract, but the upside is that 'ringers' getting brought it will, in the vast majority of meetings, keep the score close, and the racing very watchable...

A perfect storm for me personally, as I can watch UK Speedway on Eurosport "just for the racing" not caring who wins, and just "enjoy it", and with the money I save by not regularly attending, get to go over to Poland to watch "Real Team Speedway" several times a year, as well as attending a fair few FIM events...

(Hopefully a soon to return scenario, with a Wroclaw play off and possibly a final on the agenda)...

A 'win/win' for me in modern parlance I believe.....  ;)

Whilst I’m sure everyone who can remember them would love to see the good old days back of the 1980’s it sadly ain’t going to happen.  I for one just feel fortunate for the opportunity to go and see live speedway again.  There just isn’t the rider pool or frankly money available to provide the quality of racing you quite clearly desire.  however, at least there is now the RS programme in place and we are for once starting to develop some grass roots talent.  Why are you not willing to put your hand in you pocket to give to the sport now to build a better future?  

Sorry for singling out your post but you do tend to bleat on about the unfairness of this and that and picking out the holes rather than looking at the positives.  What with the last year or so we are lucky still to have this many clubs in existence.

Edited by chun
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chun said:

Whilst I’m sure everyone who can remember them would love to see the good old days back of the 1980’s it sadly ain’t going to happen.  I for one just feel fortunate for the opportunity to go and see live speedway again.  There just isn’t the rider pool or frankly money available to provide the quality of racing you quite clearly desire.  however, at least there is now the RS programme in place and we are for once starting to develop some grass roots talent.  Why are you not willing to put your hand in you pocket to give to the sport now to build a better future?  

Sorry for singling out your post but you do tend to bleat on about the unfairness of this and that and picking out the holes rather than looking at the positives.  What with the last year or so we are lucky still to have this many clubs in existence.

I do think it's great that the sport still have a following from people such as yourself as it does help build whatever the future entails..

As for me, the sport is still great to watch nowadays, at any level, and doesnt need 'the worlds best' to make a great night out at the Speedway...

I remember the halcyon days of the 70's and some of the racing level of today is easily on a par with much of what I saw then...

Unfortunately the sport in the UK does seem to want to ignore its potential and try to put it into some contrived team competition structure which, unfortunately, does absolutely nothing for that huge potential it has, and in my opinion actually holds it back..

However. I am sure though, to be fair to them, that the promoters know this but simply, no matter how willing they may be, are just not capable of turning this potential into results...

For probably a myriad of reasons which get discussed on here ad infinitum...

As I said previously, I can watch Eurosport to just enjoy the racing, and that is how the sport should be enjoyed in the UK, and is done by countless others, and taken seriously in places like Poland where the league structures deliver some truly staggering financial rewards, respect and kudos..

The important thing for the UK is that there are plenty of opportunities for the riders to earn as much as they can to make it worth their while, as without them there is no UK Speedway...

If that means DU'ing and Guests galore are the only way it can happen then so be it...

It clearly won't ever help the sports future growth though, but it is what it is, and we have what we have..

Keep your faith and keep attending...

On 7/9/2021 at 8:48 AM, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

I would enjoy the racing.... but what's to enjoy at the moment? Speedway got stale at Foxhall a few years back, a few of us tried and succeeded in bringing some fun to the night with various instruments and themes. Hi vis night and buffet night being 2. ( a wallpaper pasting table was even bought in and set up to aid with the last) :D A combination of not sitting together with mates and poor racing led me to not going last night through choice... 1st time in years. 

The 15 heats actually stop the conversations we are having ... rather than the heat action making the next  conversation . 

I'm able to watch "proper speedway" on a sunday from Poland . Then the circus act on Eurosport on a Monday with good company :drink:

Did I miss going last night ? No. And i know i wont be the only one in this position. Yes I checked on the scores through the night. ( 1st time about 8 when I then remembered it was on)  But would I get value for my £19 .... not a chance. Would I go if it was less probably not. 

It's now another 2 weeks before speedway at Foxhall is back... Will I be ? It could be 50/50 but edging more towards giving it a miss...

Yeh, fair enough, brain needs updating. It’s hard to see good future here for the sport.

Issue 10 of the Championship GSAs gives a clue to how the RS rider averages are being calculated.

Jordan Palin, while retaining his 1* RS grading, has moved up the Scunthorpe team roster from 7th to 6th, above Josh MacDonald with a 4.00 average and below Simon Lambert at 6.09. This suggests that Palin has a CMA of >4.00 and <6.09, but it seems the actual figure is not to be published.

This may means that Drew Kemp does have a CMA from his 4h4a for Ipswich but it doesn't exceed Paul Starke's 4.67.

• Thanks 1

I had seen the move previously but did not think why as reserves can be either 6 or 7 in the line up. We have just moved Palin to no6 while he has been no6 for Peterborough all season.

As regards Drew Kemp, this is possibly why his average after 4H & 4A has not been published anywhere & why posters have been asking why it is taking so long as his 4H 4A or rolling average should have changed a while ago.

Many thanks & will watch for more.

Sorry Neil, just another question. The 4H 4A when it applies is it the 1st 4 of each, the last 4 when the other is reached or all meetings when limit is reached as Palin has ridden 7H & 4A after Wednesday's meeting at Birmingham. If it is the latter, I have him as 46R 66P CMA 5.74