British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

GP 2021 rounds 1 and 2 Prague Fri/Sun 16th/18th July live on BT Sport

1 hour ago, Shockster said:

She was the UK presenter until end of last season.

She was much more than that... She was the first host presenter in the history of the sport on TV in the UK who was actually a knowledgeable fan.

Was able to bring more to the party than the stock "what is he thinking right now", "will he be making any changes to his setup" and "is the track changing" questions.

And was a decent presenter too. Everybody else has been a rent-a-presenter.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Technik said:

Why is there no Russian flag?

I noticed on the SGP site yesterday that Emil & Artum have no flags next to their name. Today on the top 3 presentation a Polish flag & a British flag flying but no Russian flag & on the race bibs Magic has a Polish flag under his name & Tai a union flag under his name but Emil has the SGP logo under his. Anyone know why?

I noticed the same.  Isn't there a worldwide doping ban on Russian athletes/sportspersons.  Something to do with the Russian Fereration refusing to co-operate with WADA. So I think Russian competitors have to compete as athletes without representation or some such description, hence no flag.  I then think it's up to the sports governing body to decide if any Russia nationals are allowed to compete.  Presumably on the basis that they believe them to be free of doping and/or that the individuals have co-operated in testing.

I think the same will apply at the Olympics. Although in the Euro's the team was definitely referred to as Russia.

Interesting to see what happens at the SON.  Are Sayfutidinov and Laguta still the defending champs?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, enotian said:

Isn't there a worldwide doping ban on Russian athletes/sportspersons.  Something to do with the Russian Fereration refusing to co-operate with WADA. So I think Russian competitors have to compete as athletes without representation or some such description, hence no flag.

Yeah, I don't know the full detail, but it is something along those lines...

9 minutes ago, enotian said:

Interesting to see what happens at the SON.  Are Sayfutidinov and Laguta still the defending champs?

Not only that but also when they go to Russia for the GP to be staged there. 

The SGP graphics had some kind of Russian motor federation flag next to the riders names I think

Edited by iainb

... Also, I don't know if anybody caught it but did you know that the tapes are now being released after a random amount of time after the ref puts the green lights on!

I'll mention it again in a minute or two if you like?

• Haha 1

I may be wrong but I think the rider's running the Anlas tyres were 1st & 2nd more often than Mitas & carried far greater straight line speeds too. 

Any stato to verify?? 

It would be nice to see which tyre each rider is using & engine manufacturer / tuner

Edited by Daniel Smith

1 hour ago, iainb said:

... Also, I don't know if anybody caught it but did you know that the tapes are now being released after a random amount of time after the ref puts the green lights on!

could be massive this.

seemed to have something of an impact tonight, interesting to see how it evolves. if it reduces the number of re-starts it can only be a good thing.

of course in theory or even reality the referee releases the tapes after a random amount of time in that they don't time the release so that it's the same every heat.  so there is no real change but psychologically for a rider if you're told the release time is random and automated the dynamic changes and the concept of anticipation disappears.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iainb said:

I heard that as well. The system needs a tweak as there were to many green light go starts. I was told we used to have a system like this in British speedway years ago but it was phased out because the timer used was taking between 5 & 7 seconds.

4 hours ago, Technik said:

I heard that as well.

You couldn't very well miss it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, enotian said:

I noticed the same.  Isn't there a worldwide doping ban on Russian athletes/sportspersons.  Something to do with the Russian Fereration refusing to co-operate with WADA. So I think Russian competitors have to compete as athletes without representation or some such description, hence no flag.  I then think it's up to the sports governing body to decide if any Russia nationals are allowed to compete.  Presumably on the basis that they believe them to be free of doping and/or that the individuals have co-operated in testing.

I think the same will apply at the Olympics. Although in the Euro's the team was definitely referred to as Russia.

If the ban is upheld by Wada's executive committee at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on 9 December, and backed by the Court of Arbitration should Russia contest it, it would not include the European Championship as Uefa is not defined as a 'major event organisation' in regards to rulings on anti-doping breaches :D

10 hours ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I don't know the full detail, but it is something along those lines...

The World Anti-Doping Agency banned Russia from international competition for four years last December. The ban includes Olympic Games and world championships, and Russia's flag or name cannot be used. Athletes, however, are not banned from competing but can only do so under a neutral flag

From the curling regs.  The Russian athletes were called the Curling Federation to allow them to compete in this years world championships.  Doping amongst Russian athletes has been rife, it was almost seen as a way of life in a lot of sports.  The curlers had to undergo drugs tests in the months leading up to the worlds - presumably Emil and Artem would have faced something similar

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

If the ban is upheld by Wada's executive committee at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on 9 December, and backed by the Court of Arbitration should Russia contest it, it would not include the European Championship as Uefa is not defined as a 'major event organisation' in regards to rulings on anti-doping breaches :D

12 minutes ago, Lioness said:

The World Anti-Doping Agency banned Russia from international competition for four years last December. The ban includes Olympic Games and world championships, and Russia's flag or name cannot be used. Athletes, however, are not banned from competing but can only do so under a neutral flag

From the curling regs.  The Russian athletes were called the Curling Federation to allow them to compete in this years world championships.  Doping amongst Russian athletes has been rife, it was almost seen as a way of life in a lot of sports.  The curlers had to undergo drugs tests in the months leading up to the worlds - presumably Emil and Artem would have faced something similar

So how does that affect Speedway? Could Emil still be the best rider to never have won the World Championship if he wins the SGP series? Just noticed on the SGP website there's no flag on the Russian GP which is being called the Togliatti GP. Would the national anthem be played if one of the Ruskies won? Just checked the F1 website, they also have no flag for Russia but are still calling the Russian GP, the Russian GP.

Edited by iainb

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It would be nice to see which tyre each rider is using & engine manufacturer / tuner

Just the type of more in depth coverage that Speedway has never really enjoyed on TV

Looks like a lot of rain moving south towards Prague.