British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

GP rounds 3 and 4 Wroclaw Fri/Sat 30th/31st July live on BT Sport

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Standings

1= Janowski and Laguta  66

SGP website shows Janowski first and Laguta second, presumably by virtue of Janowski having a lower GP number?

8 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

SGP website shows Janowski first and Laguta second, presumably by virtue of Janowski having a lower GP number?

Yes they have also split Woffinden and Madsen- i refused to do that at this stage of the season :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I am ok with 2 gp’s in a weekend, but I could easily change my view if a rider couldn’t compete the 2nd night due to injury. That could have happened at Wroclaw with Emils second accident. He must be badly bruised but it could have been much worse.               
Points system, still wavering between the two systems. Current system gives a chance to someone who suffered an engine failure a chance to do really well - I like that.

Under the old system you could have five wins and an engine failure in the semi and end with 15 points 

In this system you could have five wins and an engine failure and end with nine points.

This system is far more likely to punish you for one bad ride 

• Like 2

The top seven riders are some way ahead of the others at the moment, and I don't just mean in points. Six qualify for next year's GP, but we know that whoever comes seventh will get a pick as well, so it kind of devalues the fight for sixth place.

Of course there is still time for Doyle, Vaculik, Fricke and Lambert to prove this wrong but my guess is they won't. However, the real fight is on for them to prove they are worthy of a pick next year by finishing eighth, which, more or less, takes us back to the top eight automatically qualifying.

14 minutes ago, norbold said:

The top seven riders are some way ahead of the others at the moment, and I don't just mean in points. Six qualify for next year's GP, but we know that whoever comes seventh will get a pick as well, so it kind of devalues the fight for sixth place.

Of course there is still time for Doyle, Vaculik, Fricke and Lambert to prove this wrong but my guess is they won't. However, the real fight is on for them to prove they are worthy of a pick next year by finishing eighth, which, more or less, takes us back to the top eight automatically qualifying.

But the selectors do have a choice, before they didnt.   Pros and Cons with both ways, cant satisfy everyone I suppose.

I would think we going to say goodbye to Zagar this year. I been happy with him over the years, pity he couldnt have got more out of it.

Looking at the list so far, the ones from the GP Challenge are not doing too good (Thomson the best so far) whilst Lambert (Euro champ) is doing ok (two semis in the last two rounds). We already know who the 2022 Euro Champ contender is - I wonder if the GP CHallenge will give the series 3 good ones.

14 hours ago, r8gdp said:

Still  not a  lover of this points system .for me it devalues the heats 

I am with you, I think it was brought in to be in line with other motorsports. Personally I like that every race counts but I guess they call it progress.

35 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Looking at the list so far, the ones from the GP Challenge are not doing too good (Thomson the best so far) whilst Lambert (Euro champ) is doing ok (two semis in the last two rounds). We already know who the 2022 Euro Champ contender is - I wonder if the GP CHallenge will give the series 3 good ones.

Thomsen was one of the organiser wild card picks.

The riders that came from the challenge were Zagar, Kasprzak and Berntzon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Semi-finals and finals show how riders react under pressure.

Woffinden bottled it tonight.

speedway riders of any ability have probably got more "bottle" in their little finger than you(indeed most if us) would have in your entire body

• Like 7

On 7/31/2021 at 9:17 PM, OGT said:

Fantastic ride from BZ in the final.

His last bend move was reminiscent of Gollob & Jimmy Nilsen.

On 8/1/2021 at 12:37 AM, Pinny said:

Not sure I like the two GPs at one track over a weekend either.

I'm not sure I like 6 of the 11 GP's being held in Poland.

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

Me neither, roll on normality in the world. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iainb said:

His last bend move was reminiscent of Gollob & Jimmy Nilsen.

Was it better when every World Final was held at Wembley?

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

By "every" do you mean the first 16 World Finals between 1936-1939 & 1949-1960? I'm not sure of your point?

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yes, because top division league racing could then be staged on a Saturday night in the UK. Happy times visiting K Lynn, Coventry, Belle Vue, Halifax / Bradford, Swindon etc .... oh and Cradley! Without needing time off work. :unsure:

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

By "every" do you mean the first 16 World Finals between 1936-1939 & 1949-1960? I'm not sure of your point?

My point is that not only did it suit British speedway, British speedway fans "expected" it. Everyone was up in arms when it went to Malmo.

The thing to remember is that the world is a mess right now - and probably will be for a while to come. Would you just like to see one GP held in Poland?

As a speedway supporter, I want to see a lot of speedway. If most of it happens to take place on Poland, then so be it. They have the best riders, the best league, the best tracks, the best stadia, the best fans, and the most money...

At least we are getting a full season.

In addition, think about it; people on here complain about meetings taking too long. Would I want to travel across Europe and back for 90 minutes action? Hell, I drove to Berwick for that, and I flew to Glasgow for that! Having a full weekend really adds incentive, and gives much greater value. I'm not saying every GP should be a two-day affair, but were I still in the UK, I would be all over them...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Yes, because top division league racing could then be staged on a Saturday night in the UK. Happy times visiting K Lynn, Coventry, Belle Vue, Halifax / Bradford, Swindon etc .... oh and Cradley! Without needing time off work. :unsure:

To quote Arthur Foggen; "then's then, and now's now".

Honestly, I still have trouble believing that we have Saturdays in summer with no bloody speedway...:(

• Like 1