British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

GP rounds 3 and 4 Wroclaw Fri/Sat 30th/31st July live on BT Sport

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Add……. Nice house, still earning good money to add to pension pot.

interesting to watch last night when Robert Lambert was winning and Tai was at the back. I wonder what each was thinking?
I didn’t agree with Madson being excluded, and didn’t agree that Janowski wasn’t excluded - both situations with Emil. And Tai could have stayed upright in the earlier race (IMO).

Apart from some very good races, including Madson going from last to first, overall the racing was below par. I reckon the track tonight will be completely different……. For the better I hope.

Tai will continue to make a very decent living at league level in Poland and Sweden for as many years as he wants and will probably be in SGP for the next few years but I don't see him being World Champ again.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Most riders could stay on but in the GP,s it pays you to go down because it invariably gets you a second bite of the cherry

Lambert was in a great position but blew it, how hard is it to watch the tapes go up before you let the clutch go.

Riders need to understand if you move before the tapes go up your excluded, none of this warning crap, they are all experienced riders and are just trying to gain an advantage.

Woffinden actually made some starts last night but looked like he was on a lawnmower the way everyone went past him. If I was his in his team I would be very concerned he just isn’t riding well at all.

The racing was good towards the end but the first half was very processional, the tracks all look to slick with very little passing early on.

Much more difficult than you are making out I'd imagine. I think he knew he had to make a good one against those three riders and his relative inexperience showed, although Madsen twitching on gate one really didn't help .

He will have learned massively from it I'm sure. 

• Like 3

Woffinden certainly doesn't look the rider he was and it is hard to see him reaching those heights again but all top riders have their day. It just makes you appreciate just how good the likes of Crump were - was it ten successive seasons in the top 3 of the world standings including three world titles for Crump?

• Like 3

Can't argue with those saying Tai seems a more subdued rider in recent times but I still think he has it in him to challenge at the top table,  I've a feeling we'll get to see Woffy in his pomp tonight, that track can produce breathtaking speedway and he knows it like the back of his hand, just needs his bikes to be flying.   I've backed him e/w but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins it.

I backed Lambert last night e/w @| 40/1 and he was definitely in with a great shout of making the final, disappointed for him as much as myself, gave me a decent night's entertainment for my money, did think about backing him again for tonight @ 33/1 but Tai at the same odds , for me, offers better value.  Might still have a little nibble on Lambert, just think last night was his great opportunity.

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Much more difficult than you are making out I'd imagine. I think he knew he had to make a good one against those three riders and his relative inexperience showed, although Madsen twitching on gate one really didn't help .

He will have learned massively from it I'm sure. 

So surely the answer is to watch the tapes rather than a rider, as a lot of the tape breaking is due to riders going through them after seeing another rider twitch.

It surely is just technique, Mauger made an art form out of it, although I accept riders moved in his era.

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

So surely the answer is to watch the tapes rather than a rider, as a lot of the tape breaking is due to riders going through them after seeing another rider twitch.

It surely is just technique, Mauger made an art form out of it, although I accept riders moved in his era.

I expect Madsen was only in the corner of his eye as he was focussing on the tapes but even the slightest little movement would be enough, Nicholls described him as a coiled spring ready to go telly and thats good analogy. I'm sure technique is a large part of it but so is composure and coolness under pressure, both of those things are gained with experience and I'm sure even the great Mauger got better at it with age.

Edited by Bagpuss

One thing is for sure Smarzlik will do almost anything to win, risk vs reward, doesn’t always work but he is riding on supreme confidence, not only with his equipment but his own ability.

6 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Due to the new (confusing) GP point system introduced by the FIM , it seems that the heat races are not contested with the same intensity by the riders anymore, knowing that the points they score in the heats do not count for real in the world championship. A rider can affort to drop five or six points in the heat races, which will still be enough to make the top eight. Poinst scored to not count in teh end, so why shoud a riders take any risks in a heat race. That lack of desperation to go for every single point was quite obvious last night. The important races are only the two semis and the final. The heats have become rather dull now.

Also, the gap in points with the new scorign system has become huge already. And with only the top six (instead of eight) qualifying for next year, there will soon be a lot of riders below the top ten riding the SGPs without much motivation.   

I think that’s a very good point and this years first ten or twelve heats have generally been a trapping competition and then follow the leader.

I can understand the organisers wanting the winner to get the most points on the night, so just the give winner 25 points and everyone one else gets what they scored in the qualifying heats and semis.

I am still of the opinion that when every ride counted the qualifying heats were more hotly contested.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I expect Madsen was only in the corner of his eye as he was focussing on the tapes but even the slightest little movement would be enough, Nicholls described him as a coiled spring ready to go telly and thats good analogy. I'm sure technique is a large part of it but so is composure and coolness under pressure, both of those things are gained with experience and I'm sure even the great Mauger got better at it with age.

I've seen photographers flashes set riders into the tapes a few times

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Any VK link for tonight.?

Any luck?

Just now, DanielC said:

Better racing so far tonight, the Wroclaw we expect!

It's not being soaked like it was last night...

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

It's not being soaked like it was last night...

You sure?