British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Oxford 1964

39 minutes ago, norbold said:

I bought quite a few from him.

50 or more years ago Derrick Neave used to place a weekly advert in the Speedway Star, with a list of featured programmes he had for sale.  He resided in Benfleet at the time and later relocated to Saxmundham.  He was still advertising in the Star in the 1980s, but in one letter I received from him he told me that sadly he was finding the task of sorting through programmes and dealing with correspondence was becoming too difficult and painful, as he was badly afflicted with arthtritis.  He actually gave me a huge pile of early post-war programmes sometime in the mid to late 1980s as he was winding down.

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

50 or more years ago Derrick Neave used to place a weekly advert in the Speedway Star, with a list of featured programmes he had for sale.  He resided in Benfleet at the time and later relocated to Saxmundham.  He was still advertising in the Star in the 1980s, but in one letter I received from him he told me that sadly he was finding the task of sorting through programmes and dealing with correspondence was becoming too difficult and painful, as he was badly afflicted with arthtritis.  He actually gave me a huge pile of early post-war programmes sometime in the mid to late 1980s as he was winding down.

That is so weird... I'd forgotten all about Derrick and his ads (I never bought anything from him).

As soon as I saw his name here, Saxmundham was the first thing that came to my mind!

Edited by chunky

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

That is so weird... I'd forgotten all about Derrick and his ads (I never bought anything from him), but didn't he live in Saxmundham?

As soon as I saw his name here, Saxmundham was the first thing that came to my mind!

He did live there after Benfleet.

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

He did live there after Benfleet.

I know, but it's just funny how we have things stored away in the back of our minds! As I said, I never had any dealings with Derrick, but I remembered something like that from years ago...

Definitely remember his name, but I don’t think I bought anything from him directly. I did buy a few pre-war programmes at Wembley in 1970.

Back to Oxford 1964- there were two novice promoters in charge that year, one was called Rodney Rycroft  the others' name escapes me. I think they may have been posh guys-only stayed that one year . There were rumours of money troubles when they left. Anyway, did these two assemble the all conquering team  or did they do something as promoters that made Oxford such an all conquering team in 1964.

25 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Back to Oxford 1964- there were two novice promoters in charge that year, one was called Rodney Rycroft  the others' name escapes me.

Cyril Melville...

15 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Back to Oxford 1964- there were two novice promoters in charge that year, one was called Rodney Rycroft  the others' name escapes me. I think they may have been posh guys-only stayed that one year . There were rumours of money troubles when they left. Anyway, did these two assemble the all conquering team  or did they do something as promoters that made Oxford such an all conquering team in 1964.

Cyril Melville and Rodney Rycroft were partners in the promotion, but they lasted just one season.  They added a couple of riders, How and Gooch, to create a winning team which they couldn't afford, as despite the success on track attendances left something to be desired that year.  Cyril Melville owned an advertising business in Exeter and I believe Rodney Rycroft may have been involved in car sales at the time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BL65 said:

They added a couple of riders, How and Gooch, to create a winning team which they couldn't afford

Oh, so it's not a new thing then??? :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

Oh, so it's not a new thing then??? :rolleyes:

Sadly not.