British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue -V- Wolves (Eurosport)

Wow...

How average has the racing got at the NSS?

Geoff will be on soon telling us that everywhere else is rubbish... :D

I have read on various forums that the racing wasn't up to its usual standard but watching four riders riding really fast in a freight train really isn't entertainment...

Especially when the back section of the freight train sometimes more than half a straight behind..

Wolves should have won by much more with Nick Morris giving the Aces a 4-2 by blocking the fast riding Ryan Douglas and letting Brennan ride past the pair, before Doiglas came back very hard (good to watch a rider with that commitment)...

And with Leon Flint you could have added a few more to their score as Jack Smith gave it his all but was a long way behind (apart from his third ride when he wasn't too far behind R Worrall)...

The engine room for the Aces looks like (as always it seems to be year in year out) the problem...

Often getting beat by the opposition reserves and never being good enough to cover a heat leaders off night seems to be the criteria sort by the management for the Aces middle order over the past more than a few years..

Becker and Douglas showed what a number two and four should be all about with fantastic commitment and capability..

It must be great for Wolves to have such strength in the second string dept..

Masters and Rory a class apart on the night..

The scores kept the meeting interesting but the racing wouldn't have me looking up the next meeting with any eager anticipation to be honest..

And I blame my lad for going anyway as I didn't know it was on and he only mentioned it at six o clock when I got in from work..  :rolleyes:

Best part of fifty quid for the two of us spent by three hours later to watch 'follow the leader' for most of the evening..

Next time I won't cave in so easily...:D

Dan seems to have developed a consistent 'snake' starting style too over the past few weeks from what I have seen on TV and both tonight and Sheffield the other week..

He need to sort that and quickly as he is too far behind at the first turn...

What has gone wrong with that track  Geoff?

Do pray tell... :D

Edited by mikebv

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Wow...

How average has the racing got at the NSS?

Geoff will be on soon telling us that everywhere else is rubbish... :D

I have read on various forums that the racing wasn't up to its usual standard but watching four riders riding really fast in a freight train really isn't entertainment...

Especially when the back section of the freight train sometimes more than half a straight behind..

Wolves should have won by much more with Nick Morris giving the Aces a 4-2 by blocking the fast riding Ryan Douglas and letting Brennan ride past the pair, before Doiglas came back very hard (good to watch a rider with that commitment)...

And with Leon Flint you could have added a few more to their score as Jack Smith gave it his all but was a long way behind (apart from his third ride when he wasn't too far behind R Worrall..

The engine room for the Aces looks like (as always it seems to be year in year out) the problem...

Often getting beat by the opposition reserves and never being good enough to cover a heat leaders off night..

Becker and Douglas showed what a number two and four should be all about with fantastic commitment and capability..

It must be great for Wolves to have such strength in the second string dept..

Masters and Rory a class apart on the night..

The scores kept the meeting interesting but the racing wouldn't have me looking up the next meeting with any eager anticipation..

And I blame my lad for going anyway as I didn't know it was on and he only mentioned it at six o clock when I got in from work..  :rolleyes:

Best part of fifty quid for the two of us spent by three hours later to watch 'follow the leader' for most of the evening..

Next time I won't cave in so easily...:D

Whats gone wrong with that track  Geoff? :D

I think i read on here last season that your track produces better racing when on the slick side. Could it be the rain you have had?. Certainly not the shape, as we know.

Kurtz not moved on at all, doing exactly what he did at Poole 

2 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I think i read on here last season that your track produces better racing when on the slick side. Could it be the rain you have had?. Certainly not the shape, as we know.

Correct, fast times tonight which means poor racing as the inside is grippy and fastest way round. It got bit better in last couple of heats when Wright started finding some grip on the outside line but too late then. I do wonder how much difference this new tyre has made too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bald Bloke said:

It was very grippy on the inside but as you say, everyone knows that this spoils the racing at the NSS so why not remove some material from the inside?

Some times were quick (sub sixty seconds), and the outside didn't really work till around heat 12 or so..

Maybe the new tyres don't help either?

• Like 1

I had a feeling we would lose this one, i wasnt convinced when we signed the Worralls and Kurtz who to be kind have been inconsistent, five race winners tells its own story, Wolves were head and shoulders above us. I also get the feeling Bewley dosent want to be here, looking at how hes kicking on under Woffindens wing in Poland he should be cleaning up in our league, i just feel Dan probably thinks he owes us a season after we stood by him as he came back from serious injury far from full fitness. I dont think he will ride in the UK next year, what would be the incentive? Any other up coming British rider when getting to Dans level i think will also drop the UK, we will just be a training league for the Extraliga, we would probably be better off going to one league, apart from a handful its the same riders in both leagues the only difference we pay more to watch them in the Premiership. Wolves are my tip for the play off final they are superb around Monmore and very good an all other away tracks, i cant see any team beating them over two legs, As mikebv says above we dont even have the consolation of good racing as its been poor generally this season, not a patch on other seasons, we always look vulnerable at home, i think we look a better side on our travels at the moment, so well done Wolves who really won this at a canter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

You can forget about this one too. 

No, I think I will I keep this at the forefront of the memory banks. Appreciate that no excuses have been made.

First visit to the NSS, not sure if BV were that bad or Wolves were that good but they were consistently outgated heat after heat in mainly processional racing. You can't win meetings with 5 race winners. I expected more from Bewley and Kurtz who were disappointing. Masters had it easy other than ht15 though Becker looks like he's developing into a great rider. As mentioned above it was very much FTG, not sure i'd rush back if it is always like this.

25 minutes ago, MD said:

First visit to the NSS, not sure if BV were that bad or Wolves were that good but they were consistently outgated heat after heat in mainly processional racing. You can't win meetings with 5 race winners. I expected more from Bewley and Kurtz who were disappointing. Masters had it easy other than ht15 though Becker looks like he's developing into a great rider. As mentioned above it was very much FTG, not sure i'd rush back if it is always like this.

You're spoiled by the racing at Glasgow :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MD said:

As you will have watched it on TV over the last 5 years you will know it’s not normally like that. 
Was very grippy which meant fast times but poor racing as riders just held it to the inside. 

34 minutes ago, Rob B said:

As you will have watched it on TV over the last 5 years you will know it’s not normally like that. 
Was very grippy which meant fast times but poor racing as riders just held it to the inside. 

Indeed, perhaps my expectations were set too high for a single meeting. I'd hoped BV would have done better. An unrestricted crowd next time will also make it better.

Compared with previous seasons the quality of racing at the NSS has taken a dip.

Last night for the first part of the meeting the track was grippy everywhere and riders could not catch up distance wherever they were or wherever they rode.

Lots of very fast times in a similar fashion to the Friday of the World cUp in 2016.

Wolves gave the Aces a dominant display re the art of starting, getting to the first bend in many of the races.

There was some good races in the latter part with Charles / Sam Masters heat 15 being the highlight.

Hopefully we can get back to a good racing strip by preparing the track differently..as it used to be

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

What's happened to Geoff? Has he drowned in his own pool of bull shine

He has just finished some Humble Pie for lunch.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

What's happened to Geoff? Has he drowned in his own pool of bull shine

Hes sulking in the shadows somewhere :party::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1