Panthers99

Peterborough vs Sheffield - 12/07/21 - League Meeting

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

Good day... you've seen the forecast:lol:

I've got a spare Costa voucher if you want it, seems you could do with it

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Thanks for your kind words...

Would the match have been postponed if the weather forecasted for Monday have been no rain and sunshine? Because according to the website it was called off on the basis of the forecast. 

Quote from the website (the track) "will not take any more extensive rainfall."

Can you give your parents a call and ask them if there was anymore extensive rainfall?

In years gone by a promotion would do everything they could to put a match on, these days it looks as though they're looking for excuses to call it off if they can. Not just limited to the Peterborough promotion, yet year after year clubs run until the end of October on non race nights, sometimes running double headers,  in a rush to get the fixtures completed. 

As I've said before, if you're going to run this sport based on weather forecasts you may as well not run at all in this country. 

It’s completely frustrating for everyone whom meetings are postponed for the club, it’s riders and supporters, I do have some experience of trying to get race days at the Showground and it’s not as easy as it used to be because of other events on those weeks and health & safety issues which affect whether speedway can run alongside other events, mostly they cannot.

The track had clearly taken an excessive amount of rain on Friday and even getting it on having had no more would be have been a major task but the forecast was dreadful and quite rightly and likely to save considerable expense if nothing else the decision to try and run was correctly declined.

In years gone by Promotions were not required to pay the full cost of renting the stadium and travel costs for riders and officials including flights etc if matches were postponed late but those days are gone and they now are which clearly comes into the equation.

I dare say if you ran Peterborough Speedway things would be different but thankfully you are not and this way no one is unnecessarily inconvenienced other than you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I don't doubt there was rain Friday/Saturday. All I'm asking is if the forecast was for what the weather turned out to be would they have not postponed it?

Why bring forecasts into it? I went out for a walk this morning, the forecast told me the sun was shining... I had to return home after 5 minutes to get my coat as it started to rain... I made the wrong decision leaving the home without a coat. 

It looks like it's going to be a successful season for Peterborough, so I hope they don't run out of dates at the end of the year when they could have possibly been running on sunny summer nights

As a Farmer’s wife I totally understand any business following the Forecasts - it’s what we do 24/7. 365 days per year.  It just becomes part and parcel of daily life -  part of calculating what we do or don’t do each day -  the other thing not mentioned which we follow (not sure about the Eoes but they may do so) is the Water Table -  this year is exceptional and first time in over  30 years that we are not irrigating any crops and it’s the MIDDLE OF JULY -  this a job that has usually been going on for weeks by this time of the summer.    I doubt its hardly any different for Buster & Co so my feeling is that they made the right call - I would actually have been shocked if it had been on!   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

no one is unnecessarily inconvenienced other than you.

I was absolutely not inconvenienced in the slightest, all I was doing was questioning the wisdom in postponing a meeting based on a weather forecast that was 36 in advance of the event. People seem to be reading a lot more into it that is actually the case.

4 minutes ago, maneacat said:

As a Farmer’s wife I totally understand any business following the Forecasts - it’s what we do 24/7. 365 days per year.  It just becomes part and parcel of daily life -  part of calculating what we do or don’t do each day -  the other thing not mentioned which we follow (not sure about the Eoes but they may do so) is the Water Table -  this year is exceptional and first time in over  30 years that we are not irrigating any crops and it’s the MIDDLE OF JULY -  this a job that has usually been going on for weeks by this time of the summer.    I doubt its hardly any different for Buster & Co so my feeling is that they made the right call - I would actually have been shocked if it had been on!   

I hope you don't seed based on the weather forecasts or we'd be in a state of famine in this country :lol:

Have you seen the Clarkson series on his farm... an excellent piece of TV and a real eye opener for the uneducated like myself

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

It’s completely frustrating for everyone whom meetings are postponed for the club, it’s riders and supporters, I do have some experience of trying to get race days at the Showground and it’s not as easy as it used to be because of other events on those weeks and health & safety issues which affect whether speedway can run alongside other events, mostly they cannot.

The track had clearly taken an excessive amount of rain on Friday and even getting it on having had no more would be have been a major task but the forecast was dreadful and quite rightly and likely to save considerable expense if nothing else the decision to try and run was correctly declined.

In years gone by Promotions were not required to pay the full cost of renting the stadium and travel costs for riders and officials including flights etc if matches were postponed late but those days are gone and they now are which clearly comes into the equation.

I dare say if you ran Peterborough Speedway things would be different but thankfully you are not and this way no one is unnecessarily inconvenienced other than you.

Yet more intelligent background from someone who has been involved with the Club.

A postponement decision is never taken lightly, as has been explained, but once it is made there is no going back. All 'iainb's comments are made with the benefit of 100% hindsight - wouldn't that be a valuable tool in a Promoter's toolbox.

50 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

A postponement decision is never taken lightly, as has been explained, but once it is made there is no going back. All 'iainb's comments are made with the benefit of 100% hindsight - wouldn't that be a valuable tool in a Promoter's toolbox.

Well, that's the chance you take when basing decisions on forecasts instead of what is actually happening.

And your track record as a "promoter" isn't exactly brilliant. 

Number of clubs I have closed down? Nil

Edited by iainb

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

Well, that's the chance you take when basing decisions on forecasts instead of what is actually happening.

And your track record as a "promoter" isn't exactly brilliant. 

Number of clubs I have closed down? Nil

Personal insults eh? maybe get your facts right.

Number of Clubs I have shut down? Exactly zero

5 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

It’s a while since I’ve read so much puerile rubbish in one post.

4 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Number of Clubs I have shut down? Exactly zero

See you at Brandon on Friday then... oh hang on a minute...

Just now, iainb said:

See you at Brandon on Friday then... oh hang on a minute...

I left Coventry at the end of the 2017 season to go back to Peterborough as Promoter. In any event Coventry shut because the stadium was made unavailable by the Landlord… 

Puerile and ignorant…

18 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

I left Coventry at the end of the 2017 season to go back to Peterborough as Promoter. In any event Coventry shut because the stadium was made unavailable by the Landlord… 

Puerile and ignorant…

Being co-promoter and part custodian of the Coventry name at the point the club closed you have arguably done more to ruin Speedway in this country than any other man with the exception of Mick Horton... so I'll take no lessons on how a club should be run from you. 

In case you need your memory jogging:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/speedway/coventry-bees-speedway-team-sale-12666571?

Just search for "Watson" you actually get a couple of mentions

Edited by iainb

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

Being co-promoter and part custodian of the Coventry name at the point the club closed you have arguably done more to ruin Speedway in this country than any other man with the exception of Mick Horton... so I'll take no lessons on how a club should be run from you. 

In case you need your memory jogging:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/speedway/coventry-bees-speedway-team-sale-12666571?

Just search for "Watson" you actually get a couple of mentions

I was thinking something along the same lines.

Although I accept that the only name over the door of Coventry Speedway at this time was that of the infamous M Horton, Neil Watson's long association as his co promoter inevitably means he will be tarred with the same brush.

I would describe their time as Brandon as at best very poor , at worst abysmal, & if were in Neil Watson's position I would be keeping a very low profile not bulling myself up as someone of importance in British speedway

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I was thinking something along the same lines.

Although I accept that the only name over the door of Coventry Speedway at this time was that of the infamous M Horton, Neil Watson's long association as his co promoter inevitably means he will be tarred with the same brush.

I would describe their time as Brandon as at best very poor , at worst abysmal, & if were in Neil Watson's position I would be keeping a very low profile not bulling myself up as someone of importance in British speedway

What is your importance to the sport? 

23 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

What is your importance to the sport? 

He's probably just a paying fan... absolutely of no importance at all :t:

The trouble is and its great that Neil comes on here, but once your on that inner side of speedway ,it seems there is "i wont have a bad word to say about speedway" attitude.You just have to look at Neils posts,he wont have a negative thing to say about speedway,always defending the sport,i would love to know his honest opion at what happened to Coventry speedway,but sadly i dont think we will ever know how a well supported club ended up where it did.i trusted Sandu but looked what happened.I would love on a seperate topic to put questions to you Neil because its clear you love speedway,but i dont think i would get an honest open view of things.

1 hour ago, speedwaysliders said:

The trouble is and its great that Neil comes on here, but once your on that inner side of speedway ,it seems there is "i wont have a bad word to say about speedway" attitude.You just have to look at Neils posts,he wont have a negative thing to say about speedway,always defending the sport,i would love to know his honest opion at what happened to Coventry speedway,but sadly i dont think we will ever know how a well supported club ended up where it did.i trusted Sandu but looked what happened.I would love on a seperate topic to put questions to you Neil because its clear you love speedway,but i dont think i would get an honest open view of things.

I value Neil's contributions on here - whether I agree with them or not - for the simple reason that he has been at the sharp end of speedway promotion and, for all my experience of the sport, I have not. 

There are an awful lot of people  - most of whom have never risked a single penny of their money running a speedway track - out there who think they know better and, frankly, they don't.  A rain off with riders at the track costs even an NL club at least three grand [and possibly as much as 5] so any speedway promoter that ignores weather forecasts is worse than a fool. I should say, though, that I have occasionally considered that some postponements take place a little too early for comfort. 36 hours, in my view, is excessive.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2