British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Why speedway is failing

14 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Interesting comments on the pay scales and Workington was a class example of a winning team , with possibly excessive wages, killing the club off when the crowds didn’t match the results.

From my travels this season so far your right on the crowd levels, I would think the average around the northern clubs is about 5-600 level currently, some slightly more , some less but I think that’s the average.

They are no different down south. They started off higher, but have soon reduced to a lower level. They might creep up a bit, now that restrictions are lifted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

They are no different down south. They started off higher, but have soon reduced to a lower level. They might creep up a bit, now that restrictions are lifted.

It will be interesting to see how crowds are affected by “freedom day”.  Wife has been shopping this morning to 2 super stores. Virtually all shoppers wearing masks, and all store staff were. She noticed majority of people still staying a safe distance apart. Seems some folks not rushing to be part of 50,000 people getting COVID symptoms each day, and growing.

Workington was in terminal decline for at least two years before it closed , it just managed to win everything in its last season of existence.

5 hours ago, iainb said:

OK... I'll make it easier for you, can you tell me just the profit or loss from a club over a season, any club, your choice, any season... I'll leave it up to you

Figures are available from Companies’ House website. The following are approximate losses made in the 2019 season:

Leicester £30k

Poole £16k

Berwick £9k

Belle Vue £84k

Edinburgh £18k

Redcar £35k

Scunthorpe £3k

Swindon £78k

and the only profit I could find:

Wolverhampton £7,000

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Figures are available from Companies’ House website. The following are approximate losses made in the 2019 season:

Leicester £30k

Poole £16k

Berwick £9k

Belle Vue £84k

Edinburgh £18k

Redcar £35k

Scunthorpe £3k

Swindon £78k

Wolverhampton £7,000

Wow!

8 hours ago, iainb said:

OK... I'll make it easier for you, can you tell me just the profit or loss from a club over a season, any club, your choice, any season... I'll leave it up to you

Try doing some work for yourself, look on companies house. It’s all in the public domain, no big secrets.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Leicester £30k

Poole £16k

Berwick £9k

Belle Vue £84k

Edinburgh £18k

Redcar £35k

Scunthorpe £3k

Swindon £78k

Wolverhampton £7,000

Scary stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Try doing some work for yourself, look on companies house. It’s all in the public domain, no big secrets.

I'm not that bothered tbh

51 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Scary stuff.

Especially for BV & Swindon. Leicester not too clever either!

4 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Leicester £30k

Poole £16k

Berwick £9k

Belle Vue £84k

Edinburgh £18k

Redcar £35k

Scunthorpe £3k

Swindon £78k

Wolverhampton £7,000

Not many could sustain a loss of 84k, without some kind of quid pro quoi! i.e. another business which is tied in with the same set up, that makes a profit and allows the loss to be offset against profits. :unsure: 

• Like 2

These are only the figures they accounted for, if the world goes cashless then Speedway will be over

If these were true losses they wouldn't do it

Most probably saying they got 300 in the gate when it's more like 900, speedway is small enough to get away with being investigated 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Are you Robert 72 reincarnated?

Who he?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Not many could sustain a loss of 84k, without some kind of quid pro quoi! i.e. another business which is tied in with the same set up, that makes a profit and allows the loss to be offset against profits. :unsure: 

Which also means it becomes a 'plaything' that doesn't have to be sustainable in its own right..

Which can never be a good thing for collective organic growth...

"Don't include Glasgow" was a comment re salaries further up the thread...

Well you have to...

The inference was I presume that they pay more, therefore, by doing so, they bring "heat" to the pay scales which then filters down to the rest, as riders expectations grow as the "going rate" increases..

Collectively the tracks spend literally hundreds and hundreds of thousands of pounds which is subsidised to a certain amount by hundreds and hundreds of thousands of income..

All to have a sport hardly anyone in the country knows about... 

Explain that one... :rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1