British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Why speedway is failing

Good point. I'm not suggesting Grasstrack type racing on shale replacing speedway more like complementing. Grasstrack supporters are a more diverse bunch drawing from motor sports in general. Unfortunately Speedway supporters have become quite unique and prepared to watch rather boring events at a premium admission price watching the latest bunch foreign superstars. Realistically with more tracks closing and just 6 teams in the Premier League it's unlikely to survive in it's current form. Excellent point about the 1000cc Sidecars but no track is large enough to provide full on racing. There are loads of riders with equipment suitable for the Grass but nowhere to ride transferring to shale is an ideal opportunity to race. This is a conversation I never thought I'd have back in 2016 !!

18 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...evidently you never witnessed the Eastbourne tearaways take part in second halves at Cowley with Barney Kennett thrown in for good measure! ;)

Always stayed for the second halves at Brandon…. and the third halves!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lots of mentions of grasstrack riders. How many “progress” successfully to shale? Stand-out grasstrack riders like Wajtknecht and Shanes came over full time. Neither set the house on fire. 

26 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Lots of mentions of grasstrack riders. How many “progress” successfully to shale? Stand-out grasstrack riders like Wajtknecht and Shanes came over full time. Neither set the house on fire. 

You can see good racing, without 'setting the house on fire'! 

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

needs a root and branch review and radical overhaul as the operating model is failing abysmally and needs throwing out and a new one bringing in...

But, as this 1991 document shows.

That wont ever happen.

It's the hammer in the air of Going, Going,....... waiting on the axe to fall with GONE! So few care or want to know now about  UK domestic league speedway.

3 hours ago, Bear_Bottom said:

Where on earth have you dug that up from?!?

1 hour ago, Bear_Bottom said:

Same place I found these... ;)

End of Speedway?

Sad End

See, it's not all doom and gloom...

Looks like it's doing better than Pigeon Racing..... 

I believe they were doing really well until there became a shortage of pigeons due to them starting to compete in international races at weekends...

So they started to allow sparrows and blackbirds in to guest for the missing pigeons...

Not crows though as they were deemed too good (they fly direct like a crow flies you see), to replace the missing pigeons so they did have some integrity... 

They did though allow magpies to replace losing birds during a race, and their mileage was counted as double due to them being black and white....

I'll get me coat...

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

See, it's not all doom and gloom...

Looks like it's doing better than Pigeon Racing..... 

I believe they were doing really well until there became a shortage of pigeons due to them starting to compete in international races at weekends...

So they started to allow sparrows and blackbirds in to guest for the missing pigeons...

Not crows though as they were deemed too good (they fly direct like a crow flies you see), to replace the missing pigeons so they did have some integrity... 

They did though allow magpies to replace losing birds during a race, and their mileage was counted as double due to them being black and white....

I'll get me coat...

;)

Pigeons all emigrated to Peru

6 minutes ago, Normski said:

Pigeons all emigrated to Peru

...except those outside my house who insist eating all the food I throw out for the two tame blackbirds who frequent the grassy area! :angry:

A business plan,

1.Your staff will demand far more money than is coming into your business to find expensive equipment that is totally unsuited to the UK operation but they insist on having it because they do in other market places that have both the  infrastructure & income to support it.

2.your staff demand these high wages in an attempt to survive for 12 months on 6 months income.

3.While your paying these unaffordable wages your staff can also sign a contract with another employer all be it in a slightly different sector of the same industry. While this has no direct disruption to your business as this sector works on a different day there is a risk of the employee injuring themselves or burning themselves out that would effect your business massively.

4.In addition to working in a slightly different sector your employees can also guest work for your direct competition as long as you're not open on that day. This could affect your business directly though injury to said employees or their efforts for your direct competition could mean that your competition is more successful than you thus costing you loss of income.

All of the above is driven by a desire too become champions of your sector however points 2 to 4 mean that rising to the top has very little reward apart from a brief mention in your local paper because these points make the industry a non event.

Finally should you succeed in achieving all your targets for the year and who knows even breakeven doing it then the other jealous employers in your sector will ensure that the employment rules are changed for the following year meaning they can grab your prized assets to being them success thus directly affecting your business.

All this is overseen by the auditors who are infact the owners of both your direct and indirect competition who can change rules at a drop of a hat 'in the interest of your industry'

Should you succeed in getting backers for your business plan make sure you don't mention the way the biggest market in the world can also control your employees with you having any say.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

A business plan,

1.Your staff will demand far more money than is coming into your business to find expensive equipment that is totally unsuited to the UK operation but they insist on having it because they do in other market places that have both the  infrastructure & income to support it.

2.your staff demand these high wages in an attempt to survive for 12 months on 6 months income.

3.While your paying these unaffordable wages your staff can also sign a contract with another employer all be it in a slightly different sector of the same industry. While this has no direct disruption to your business as this sector works on a different day there is a risk of the employee injuring themselves or burning themselves out that would effect your business massively.

4.In addition to working in a slightly different sector your employees can also guest work for your direct competition as long as you're not open on that day. This could affect your business directly though injury to said employees or their efforts for your direct competition could mean that your competition is more successful than you thus costing you loss of income.

All of the above is driven by a desire too become champions of your sector however points 2 to 4 mean that rising to the top has very little reward apart from a brief mention in your local paper because these points make the industry a non event.

Finally should you succeed in achieving all your targets for the year and who knows even breakeven doing it then the other jealous employers in your sector will ensure that the employment rules are changed for the following year meaning they can grab your prized assets to being them success thus directly affecting your business.

All this is overseen by the auditors who are infact the owners of both your direct and indirect competition who can change rules at a drop of a hat 'in the interest of your industry'

Should you succeed in getting backers for your business plan make sure you don't mention the way the biggest market in the world can also control your employees with you having any say.

Imagine taking this business plan to the Dragons Den? :D

If they still weren't biting you could add in that you will plan your opening hours around when your employees can fit you in to come and work for you, rather than when your customers want you to open..

Can't understand why all four wouldnt be crawling over themselves to throw money at you... :D

• Haha 1