British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Why speedway is failing

9 minutes ago, Trees said:

It's a VERY dangerous sport, what do you suggest? Using juniors?  Fans would 100% NOT BE HAPPY with that!

It is a very dangerous sport however those in charge are far more dangerous in the fact they have run the sport into the ground with decades of mismanagement. And even as the sport is drawing it's final breath's they won't allow anyone to administer a different treatment.

2 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

It is a very dangerous sport however those in charge are far more dangerous in the fact they have run the sport into the ground with decades of mismanagement. And even as the sport is drawing it's final breath's they won't allow anyone to administer a different treatment.

I think the way BV have signed NBJ is the way forward..

Have a rider out through injury then sign a lower averaged rider to replace him for 'x' weeks..

Say 21 days minimum, and even if the injured rider is back fit he has to sit out 21 days so as to ensure no manipulation of any injury situation takes place.

Using a rider either not in this country currently or from a lower league..

Or sort out a fit for purpose RR facility that doesnt mean your No1 for example has to be replaced by riders third and fourth in the averages..

Ultimately though, if a meeting becomes a bit 'Mickey Mouse' if ran, then dont run it...

21 minutes ago, Trees said:

It's a VERY dangerous sport, what do you suggest? Using juniors?  Fans would 100% NOT BE HAPPY with that!

Perhaps pre season every club can pick two riders from a division lower up to a combined average to be thier guests that season. Usual rules apply so can only cover riders averaged above them. Bit like a mini squad system. Obviously 100's of flaws to be considered (although normally not) but least it would give a bit of affiliations to the stand in riders.

18 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Perhaps pre season every club can pick two riders from a division lower up to a combined average to be thier guests that season. Usual rules apply so can only cover riders averaged above them. Bit like a mini squad system. Obviously 100's of flaws to be considered (although normally not) but least it would give a bit of affiliations to the stand in riders.

Give ya that, but if your number one and two are missing everyone will be happy with these lower division riders as replacements?  Absolutely nobody would be happy, it would be a definite loss!!

32 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

How many people are coming up with the readies to buy out all the clubs?  Are you? Go for it, invest!!

29 minutes ago, Trees said:

How many people are coming up with the readies to buy out all the clubs?  Are you? Go for it, invest!!

I may have done in the 80s and the 90s when clubs had assets that were worth something the riders. Today because of the crazy rules in operation those assets are now worthless. 

Just out of interest I wonder what the valuation is of the BSPL

39 minutes ago, Trees said:

Absolutely.  I love the sport,  but even if I had millions of pounds in the bank, I would not entertain investing a penny of it into British Speedway in its current operating model.  I'd may as well go into out the back garden, light a fire and spend the evening tossing fifty pound notes onto it.

59 minutes ago, Trees said:

If the sports business model was designed to make money, promoters would come forward. While it doesn’t make money, expect more tracks to disappear under houses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Look at the Ipswich v Peterborough match this coming Thursday for another example why this sport is going down the shutter!

Peterborough come to town operating rider replacement & tracking 2 guests due to injuries picked up by their riders while doubling up in the championship, how long is this madness going to go on for???

In fairness jordan palin is our rider was signed to scunthorpe first so can't see any problem with that if Peterborough wanted to they could of used another rising star 

1 hour ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I may have done in the 80s and the 90s when clubs had assets that were worth something the riders. Today because of the crazy rules in operation those assets are now worthless. 

Just out of interest I wonder what the valuation is of the BSPL

As it’s just a group of individuals running a sport from a rented office with no real assets to speak of, then I would say very ,very little.

7 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

In fairness jordan palin is our rider was signed to scunthorpe first so can't see any problem with that if Peterborough wanted to they could of used another rising star 

I think you're missing my point. Riders being employed by multiple clubs through the out of control doubling up rule is another reason the sport isn't taken seriously & lacks any form of credibility outside of the ever shrinking speedway bubble.

10 hours ago, MattB said:

Absolutely.  I love the sport,  but even if I had millions of pounds in the bank, I would not entertain investing a penny of it into British Speedway in its current operating model.  I'd may as well go into out the back garden, light a fire and spend the evening tossing fifty pound notes onto it.

If you bought all the stadiums and all the promoters out you'd have a free hand to do exactly what you like to make British speedway a rich sport ..... You would be the "Barry Hearn" of speedway lol. 

So you don't think league racing is the way to go? Club days ala Aussie wouldn't work here, a few fun days ala IOW wouldn't work from March to October, every other country sticks to league racing so I'm at a loss. 

The only other thing would be your millions could get it on TV more, which could potentially Bering in big sponsorship and so on ......

Shame you haven't got those millions ..... 

I think you're missing my point. Riders being employed by multiple clubs through the out of control doubling up rule is another reason the sport isn't taken seriously & lacks any form of credibility outside of the ever shrinking speedway bubble.

No I fully understand the point and in fairness I despise the doubling up of riders . My point is Peterborough new a rider was already signed for another club it was there choice to use him so can be no complaints. Doubling up will continue as long as clubs carry on selecting the same riders 

It's a chicken and egg situation though, if we had more riders we wouldn't need riders to double up but we need more fans/money in the sport to encourage guys to come into the sport (or come from abroad) to race for the clubs ....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Trees said:

It's a chicken and egg situation though, if we had more riders we wouldn't need riders to double up but we need more fans/money in the sport to encourage guys to come into the sport (or come from abroad) to race for the clubs ....

We almost nearly kind of do have the riders though, it's just that they aren't given the chance. Look at Jason Edwards, binned from Eastbourne and binned from Plymouth in favour of a rider from the upper league. BV elect to go for NBJ instead of a home grown rider... and they operate a NDL "feeder" team!!!! Just 2 examples, there'll be loads of others from the last few years

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1