British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Why speedway is failing

On 8/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, mikebv said:

There is actually some mileage in this I would suggest HH..

Maybe there should actually be some kind of "minimum standard" checklist that needs completing..

Businesses in the retail and entertainment sector have "mystery shoppers" so why shouldn't Speedway..?

Your list covered pretty much the "day to day" stuff that most expect to see and receive and maybe some "independent feedback" would help their overall offering? 

Seeking and then reacting to feedback, both good and bad, (but especially the bad), is one of the priorities of any forward looking modern business as without this information it wont move forward.. 

Some kind of mystery shop feed back would be fine I guess.

But there are thousands of pages right on this very forum that if the promotors were really interested in feedback they could look at. 

However they don't seem that bothered & Seem to regard this forum as something of minority view from people who are negative about the sport.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Some kind of mystery shop feed back would be fine I guess.

But there are thousands of pages right on this very forum that if the promotors were really interested in feedback they could look at. 

However they don't seem that bothered & Seem to regard this forum as something of minority view from people who are negative about the sport.

I think you are correct.. 

Instead of seeing those on here as people who are actually bothered enough to still follow the sport, and (hopefully) constructively criticise and offer feedback..

The outlook of many on here might be those of a "minority", however that's because you never hear any more from the huge amount of ex fans who share/shared exactly the same views but no longer even care enough to provide any more feedback..

I would suggest there are literally tens of thousands more of these people (who still regard themselves as fans of the sport), NOT attending any meeting this week...

A significantly much higher number indeed than the number who will attend..

Why that will be the case should be the most pressing concern for the Promoters...

i can’t remember which CEO quoted this, but somewhere I read it cost 4x as much to get new customers than it does to keep customers. Surely this forum is that free source of data to tap into ex customers still interested in the sport in some way. Rather than try and get new ones.

• Like 2

The main problem has been underinvestment - that’s why we have crap stadiums and poor investment in the product - speedway . It’s been a in-house managed - club . 

Now it’s all coming home to roost , other sports have invested and people have so many more options . Speedway isn’t relevant . 

The only option I see , as the sport slowly implodes … is that the sport re- invents itself at a lower level as community interest company - business model with lower overheads based on track field circuits like long track and temporary stands and facilities . With a property constitution- chairman - secretary etc . All funds put back into the grass roots of the sport .. with a drive to focus on the community and the future of the sport . Money back into the sport - for the benefit of the sport !!!!! . 

The sport needs to survive at a lower financial base - with one of run events - championships etc - individual rider events in stadiums e.g belle vue etc … to regain the excitement of one off events , or possible Grand Prix style . 

Either way it needs to find the correct business model - and I believe it needs to be owned by the fans . 

An independent body - overseeing the re - growth of the sport … 

Strength  in numbers the fans … 

Speedway has always had passionate fans , and I’m sure many have the talents in order to bring sponsors on board , organise club events , and steer the sport in the right direction 

Edited by Apollo

Just watching the World Longtrack Championship from Poland talk about sorted or what and Zach Wajtknecht is superb? Speedway is suffering from the British disease living in the past, we've been doing it for the last 50 years and it works ok. We managed to crash both the motorcycle and car industries into the wall and Speedway is following the same tracks. RIP British Speedway.

On 8/27/2021 at 6:45 PM, noaksey said:

Where will the money come from to pay these independent people?

Well speedway needs to go back to its grass roots …. Plenty of promotions have volunteers …. . In this case it will all be volunteers and money coming back to the sport … that’s where it’s gone wrong high overheads and money going to individual owners .  No money to the sport !!!! 

• Like 1

Speedway will not be professional in the near future - but may be saved by volunteers ,,!!! And money at the gate re- growing clubs and the sport 

A professional division of 12 clubs with full time riders is probably where we need to be and secure the sport here. 

Having 3 different leagues isn’t doing the sport any good with clubs struggling and over extending themselves financially - Eastbourne - Newcastle - Birmingham and a few more.

The BSPL to have total control of the clubs and the buck stops with them to make it pay and work.

Limits on spending on equipment with engines restricted with limiters.

The sport contracted before (1957 - 60) when faced with disappearing crowds and tracks closing down so it needs to restructure to survive.

• Confused 1

On 8/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, Pieman72 said:

Just watching the World Longtrack Championship from Poland talk about sorted or what and Zach Wajtknecht is superb? Speedway is suffering from the British disease living in the past, we've been doing it for the last 50 years and it works ok. We managed to crash both the motorcycle and car industries into the wall and Speedway is following the same tracks. RIP British Speedway.

i watched that too. A poor advert for Longtrack, shouldn't be run on a Speedway track IMO. FIM is trying to introduce Poland to Longtrack, but I don't think that's the way and judging by the tiny crowd it's not working. I doubt Zach was happy with 7 points from a possible 20 in the heats.

Edited by Rich

I agree it's a track for speedway bikes and 18" tyres. I noticed it was very deep. Zach did well to win one race. It was very well presented better than Kings Lynn which looks like a builders yard. I wish we had a track of that stature.

• Like 1

Look at the Ipswich v Peterborough match this coming Thursday for another example why this sport is going down the shutter!

Peterborough come to town operating rider replacement & tracking 2 guests due to injuries picked up by their riders while doubling up in the championship, how long is this madness going to go on for???

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Look at the Ipswich v Peterborough match this coming Thursday for another example why this sport is going down the shutter!

Peterborough come to town operating rider replacement & tracking 2 guests due to injuries picked up by their riders while doubling up in the championship, how long is this madness going to go on for???

As long as just about enough punters keep colluding with the promoters that it's a proper sporting competition they run, and turn up to watch it..

There are though thousands more who could possibly go back to it regularly if they stopped the nonsense.. 

But I suppose we shall never know for certain if that is the case, as stopping the nonsense will never happen..

Because they are too good at it now after so many years of experience..

53 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

It's a VERY dangerous sport, what do you suggest? Using juniors?  Fans would 100% NOT BE HAPPY with that!