British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Eastbourne v Leicester CL 18/7/21 3pm

8 hours ago, Elmo said:

It was the hose pipe today.

They got away with it at one grading break when they had 2&4 in 4 consecutive heats, hence the fight back, but got caught next time round and were made to even then all out.

It certainly was an interesting bit of track grading.

Basically a bit of over watering on gates 1&3 ( flooded were the words I heard ) which coincides with Leicester having those gates for two heats in a row mid meeting which resulted in two 5 1s for the home team! Needless to say the Leicester TM and Captain were on the centre green next to the start line for the next grading and watering which resulted in the tractor having to come back out to grade all the starts after consultation with the referee who inspected the track prep & was dissatisfied as all four gates were not prepared the same..

Also not Kevin Coombes finest afternoon.

Arrived late, consistently got the name of Leicesters sponsors wrong (JBC?) got the score wrong (probably due to the late arrival in part fairness) and didn’t notice Dan Thompson had replaced Zaine Kennedy in heat 11.

they did the same when glasgow were there and when the glasgow team manager complained to the referee Christina Turnbull she told him the home team can do what they want when it comes to track prep which is wrong and pretty sure stewart new this and demanded all gates be the same good strong team management 

29 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

It certainly was an interesting bit of track grading.

Basically a bit of over watering on gates 1&3 ( flooded were the words I heard ) which coincides with Leicester having those gates for two heats in a row mid meeting which resulted in two 5 1s for the home team! Needless to say the Leicester TM and Captain were on the centre green next to the start line for the next grading and watering which resulted in the tractor having to come back out to grade all the starts after consultation with the referee who inspected the track prep & was dissatisfied as all four gates were not prepared the same..

Edited by mac101
  • Like 2

Nothing’s changed at Eastbourne then as gate grading for the home team there has been going on for years - back to the 90’s it was always fun to watch Bob Dugard look at his programme just before going out to track grade- that is apart from the away riders having to try and miss him going out onto the track as soon as the chequered flag was waved :)

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, mac101 said:

they did the same when glasgow were there and when the glasgow team manager complained to the referee Christina Turnbull she told him the home team can do what they want when it comes to track prep which is wrong and pretty sure stewart new this and demanded all gates be the same good strong team management 

I'm generally sceptical of how much value a TM can add to a team's performance, but in many ways Mr Dickson was very much the Lions match winner yesterday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I'm generally sceptical of how much value a TM can add to a team's performance, but in many ways Mr Dickson was very much the Lions match winner yesterday.

Does your scepticism go back to the 90’s ? :D

4 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Does your scepticism go back to the 90’s ? :D

Well I suppose there was the little matter of that blank space in the Belle Vue programme :D

14 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

RR for Tara O`Callaghan all season ;)

Oh yes, all those extra rides for Lee Richardson

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Agree to a point  , eastbourne lost this match rearranging for when kemp was missing Imo

So, with such "suspect" track watering and gate prep going on to the disatisfaction of the referee, does this go into the refs report to the B.S.P.A., and are sanctions put in place to ensure that this cheating does not go on again?  First it was Glasgow 2 years ago, now it's an English team managed by a most competent Glaswegian who's being got at!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PowerfulPierre said:

So, with such "suspect" track watering and gate prep going on to the disatisfaction of the referee, does this go into the refs report to the B.S.P.A., and are sanctions put in place to ensure that this cheating does not go on again?  First it was Glasgow 2 years ago, now it's an English team managed by a most competent Glaswegian who's being got at!!!

think any manager going there now will be carefully watching what’s going on at the track after ht 10 if there winning durning the interval having a flooded away teams gates  or slick gates because they have ripped up the home  gates will always give the home team advantage there out the starts as most races are over by the first bend really unless a rider makes a mistake 

• Like 2

To partially quote an earlier poster, with my comment in italic.

"you have to hand it to the Eagles management for their track preparation"

Good to be vindicated for something I knew always happened at Arlo ........ prepping the track riding lines to suit the home team happens everywhere, but doctoring the start grids is a step too far in unsportsmanlike behaviour.

The "seagulls"  took a pasting in part 2 as well I see in the training meeting.

• Like 2

Leicester were excellent value yesterday and Dan Thompson at reserve was the difference. Also must applaud the team riding of Dan Thompson by Scott Nicholls in heat 11 . shepherded him for all 4 laps. Many riders would of disappeared into the distance which may of allowed Lewi Kerr to get past but Nicholls was sublime in riding the inside line. Nigel Pearson would of approved hopefully re-run or British Speedway put this up on social media because it was excellent. 

AS for the track preperation that has been an artform for years at Arlington , I don't see it changing any. 

• Like 1