British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Aldershot

Guest compost

Hi

Can anyone (BL65 perhaps) let me know the track records for Aldershot at the end of the 1952, 59 & 60 seasons please ?

Thanks much appreciated

20 minutes ago, compost said:

Hi

Can anyone (BL65 perhaps) let me know the track records for Aldershot at the end of the 1952, 59 & 60 seasons please ?

Thanks much appreciated

Not sure if this of any use but the track record at Aldershot on  02/07/1960 was 71.0,  established on 21/05/1960 by Eric Hockaday.

At the end of 1959 it was 71.7 set by Derek Timms on 3rd Oct 1959

At the end of 1960 it was still 71.0 as detailed in the previous post

Edited by Sotonian

3 hours ago, compost said:

Hi

Thanks much appreciated

I believe the record at the end of the 1952 season was 66.0 by Trevor Redmond, set in a match race on 12th September 1951. Speedway Researcher shows Bert Edwards setting a record of 69.4 on 17th May 1952, however this time was bettered the following week but it is not stated on the file to be a new record.  The subsequent Aldershot programmes in 1952 continued to show Redmond's time as the record.

In the early 1950s the track measurement was stated in the programmes to be 302.6 yards, whereas in in 1959 and 1960 it was shown in the programmes as 300 yards.

Edited by BL65

Guest compost
On 7/15/2021 at 12:19 PM, BL65 said:

I believe the record at the end of the 1952 season was 66.0 by Trevor Redmond, set in a match race on 12th September 1951. Speedway Researcher shows Bert Edwards setting a record of 69.4 on 17th May 1952, however this time was bettered the following week but it is not stated on the file to be a new record.  The subsequent Aldershot programmes in 1952 continued to show Redmond's time as the record.

In the early 1950s the track measurement was stated in the programmes to be 302.6 yards, whereas in in 1959 and 1960 it was shown in the programmes as 300 yards.

Thanks BL65. Regarding the slightly shorter track length, wonder if the inside curb was taken in to accomodate the stock's (obviously it could just have been a measuring error as well) ?

53 minutes ago, compost said:

Thanks BL65. Regarding the slightly shorter track length, wonder if the inside curb was taken in to accomodate the stock's (obviously it could just have been a measuring error as well) ?

Quite possibly it was taken in for that purpose.  I don't recall seeing any explanation.  Years ago the Control Board had to authorise re-measuring of tracks and it should have been accurate.