British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Fathers and Sons

Not sure if this is unusual but the Middlesbrough team of 1948 had Frank Hodgson, Wilf Plant and Derick Close in their line up. In later years sons Russ Hodgson, Graham Plant and Nigel Close rode for Middlesbrough albeit not during the same season.

Edited by steve roberts

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure if this is unusual but the Middlesbrough team of 1948 had Frank Hodgson, Wilf Plant and Derick Close in their line up. In later years sons Russ Hodgson, Graham Plant and Nigel Close rode for Middlesbrough albeit not during the same season.

Sounds pretty unusual to me!

You should know, it's weird things like that that interest me, so I'll do some research to see if there are any similar cases. That's if BL65 doesn't beat me to it!

• Like 1

Quite possible something similar has happened

Seem to think that Hartmut, Martin and Ben Ernst all rode for Stralsund. Grandad, son and grandson.Then quite possibly Mario Busch and Tobi Busch rode for Stralsund as well. Could well be that Mario rode with Martin Ernst and Tobi with Ben Ernst

• Like 1

I'm having trouble finding three fathers who even rode in the same team, let alone have sons that rode for that team!

I have Reg Luckurst, Trevor Hedge, and Bob Dugard, but I'm still looking...

1 minute ago, chunky said:

I'm having trouble finding three fathers who even rode in the same team, let alone have sons that rode for that team!

Talking of Bob Dugard….there was Charlie Dugard, then Bob, John and Eric, then Martin. Are there any great grandchildren at Eastbourne?

• Like 1

Paul Dugard is Martin's brother. Then Kelsey Dugard is Martins son.

You also have the Kennetts at Eastbourne , Gordon, Barney and Edward. 

Then the Collins clan , Peter, Phil , Les.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chunky said:

I looked at these three...obviously there was Jamie & Jeremy who both, I think, rode for Wimbledon and Trevor's son Gavin who also rode for the "Dons".

Roy Trigg, Colin Pratt and Bob Andrew’s are close at Cradley. But Bob moved to Hackney when Colin moved to Dudley Wood so they never rode together. Troy rode for Cradley at Stoke and Bobs grandson  rode at Monmore for the Hearhens. Think Triggys son rode some second halves? As I said close….,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, salty said:

Roy Trigg, Colin Pratt and Bob Andrew’s are close at Cradley. But Bob moved to Hackney when Colin moved to Dudley Wood so they never rode together. Troy rode for Cradley at Stoke and Bobs grandson  rode at Monmore for the Hearhens. Think Triggys son rode some second halves? As I said close….,

I didn't know about Bob's grandson, and I don't know about Roy's boy, but you could be right...

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Paul Dugard is Martin's brother. Then Kelsey Dugard is Martins son.

You also have the Kennetts at Eastbourne , Gordon, Barney and Edward. 

Then the Collins clan , Peter, Phil , Les.

Thing is, Steve isn't talking about brothers.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I looked at these three...obviously there was Jamie & Jeremy who both, I think, rode for Wimbledon and Trevor's son Gavin who also rode for the "Dons".

Correct, but Martin and Paul didn't. As I said, it's a struggle finding three dads in the same team!

• Like 1

Les Collins, Michael Coles & Kenny McKinna all rode for Edinburgh in 1992.   Their sons Aiden Collins, Adam McKinna and Connor Coles all rode for the monarchs at some time.

• Like 2

Reading 1993 team contained three riders whose sons have all ridden speedway professionally, but only one of the sons rode for Reading.

Not certain, but I seem to recall that Alan Jay and his father both rode for Sheffield, possibly even in the same match.

9 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Not certain, but I seem to recall that Alan Jay and his father both rode for Sheffield, possibly even in the same match.

They did, on 13th August 1964.  Wilf Jay rode at reserve in the home match against Long Eaton and scored 1. His sons, Alan and Derek, were also in the team and scored 10 and 0 respectively.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1