British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Fathers and Sons

46 minutes ago, BL65 said:

They did, on 13th August 1964.  Wilf Jay rode at reserve in the home match against Long Eaton and scored 1. His sons, Alan and Derek, were also in the team and scored 10 and 0 respectively.

Thanks, was not sure. Before I started going.

53 minutes ago, BL65 said:

They did, on 13th August 1964.  Wilf Jay rode at reserve in the home match against Long Eaton and scored 1. His sons, Alan and Derek, were also in the team and scored 10 and 0 respectively.

...and I think that father Wilf beat his son Derek in scoring his only point?

15 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Also 3 generations, Guy Nicky and Adam Allott all rode for Sheffield.

Same with the Dugards at Eastbourne, and (slightly differently) Neil Street and the Crumps at Swindon.

48 minutes ago, chunky said:

Same with the Dugards at Eastbourne, and (slightly differently) Neil Street and the Crumps at Swindon.

The Dugard clan could have put their own 'team' out.  Charlie first appeared for Eastbourne in 1936, John first rode for the team in 1957, Bob in 1959, Eric 1972, Martin 1985, Paul 1992 and Kelsey 2015.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BL65 said:

The Dugard clan could have put their own 'team' out.  Charlie first appeared for Eastbourne in 1936, John first rode for the team in 1957, Bob in 1959, Eric 1972, Martin 1985, Paul 1992 and Kelsey 2015.

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but are there any other cases of FOUR generations involved in British speedway?

8 hours ago, chunky said:

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but are there any other cases of FOUR generations involved in British speedway?

No problem with that Chunky...I enjoy threads that develop further. I did raise the Dugard "Clan" in another thread and can't think of another example of four generations of the same family competing in speedway?

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

No problem with that Chunky...I enjoy threads that develop further. I did raise the Dugard "Clan" in another thread and can't think of another example of four generations of the same family competing in speedway?

Not British, but

Anton Jansson who competed in the FIM Youth Gold Trophy last weekend is a fourth generation rider.

Father Jimmy

Grandpa Bo (and great uncle Tommy)

Great grand father Joel

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 2

I also remember this- I think Wilf was in his fifties and got drafted in because there was a regular unavailable (I could be wrong though)

On 7/20/2021 at 10:54 PM, BL65 said:

I'm not 100% sure but I believe Sam Hagons mother is a Dugard.

48 minutes ago, Technik said:

I'm not 100% sure but I believe Sam Hagons mother is a Dugard.

Alf Hagon was an accomplished rider in the 1950s and 1960s, principally with Harringay, Wimbledon, Leicester, Oxford and West Ham.  His son Martin represented clubs including Hackney, Sheffield and Ipswich in the 1980s.  Sam Hagon is the son of Martin Hagon and Charlotte (Bob Dugard's daughter, sister of Martin Dugard), becoming the third generation of Hagon's in speedway.

• Like 1

John & Chris Louis & at a push you could include Jem Doncaster who is Stepfather to Chris

1 hour ago, Technik said:

John & Chris Louis & at a push you could include Jem Doncaster who is Stepfather to Chris

Remember, this thread isn't just about finding fathers and sons - there are many who haven't been mentioned. The original question asked if there were any cases of three fathers (at the same time) and each of their sons, riding for the same team.

5 hours ago, chunky said:

Remember, this thread isn't just about finding fathers and sons - there are many who haven't been mentioned. The original question asked if there were any cases of three fathers (at the same time) and each of their sons, riding for the same team.

That is incorrect.

The heading is Fathers & Sons. There is no mention of any number.

The first post gives us the names of 3 men that rode for a club & then their respective sons but at no point does it mention three is the required number.

The first poster to mention "3" is you in the 4th post on the topic.

You are the one reading something that is not there & taking over a topic again & making the rules up to suit yourself.