British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Fathers and Sons

3 hours ago, Technik said:

That is incorrect.

The heading is Fathers & Sons. There is no mention of any number.

The first post gives us the names of 3 men that rode for a club & then their respective sons but at no point does it mention three is the required number.

The first poster to mention "3" is you in the 4th post on the topic.

You are the one reading something that is not there & taking over a topic again & making the rules up to suit yourself.

That's a very unfair comment, Technik. the opening post talks of three fathers and sons as the topic he wanted discussed. The discussion generally follows in that vein with contributors looking to match the number of three. It is really not just chunky who took that to be the subject of the thread.

• Like 3

Guest compost

I thought this subject had already been covered (though I can't find a link to the thread) ?

3 minutes ago, compost said:

I thought this subject had already been covered (though I can't find a link to the thread) ?

It has in so far as a long list of father and sons can be found. 
But this is a bit different with them riding with other father and sons

I don’t know if the Zabiks rode with the Kasprzaks or the Tomiceks with one of the other Czech families etc

Guest compost
8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It has in so far as a long list of father and sons can be found. 
But this is a bit different with them riding with other father and sons

I don’t know if the Zabiks rode with the Kasprzaks or the Tomiceks with one of the other Czech families etc

Thanks, my bad (would have clicked on the thanks icon but it keeps giving me an error message when I do that)

In the Czech Republic the Pardubice club has Ales Dryml, Vaclav Milik & Jiri Jirout & their sons Ales jnr & Lukas Dryml, Vaclav Milik jnr & Mario Jirout 

In Prague Jiri Stancl, Petr Ondrasik, Antonin Svab, & Antonin Kasper with their sons George Stancl, Pavel Ondrasik, Toni Svab & Toni Kasper 

• Like 2

David Kennett & Colin Richardson both riding for Eastbourne in 1977 and sons Edward & Lee in 2008.

For a Speedway Club with such a short history, may I humbly submit the following:

1964 Sunderland 'Saints' - Ken Sharples (Father), Paul Sharples (Son).

1973 Sunderland 'Stars' - George Barclay (Father), Terry Barclay (Son).

Our 1964 Team had 9 Home Meetings only, as we were closed down after that.

Our 1971 to 1974 Team managed four years before the same thing happened to us. So in that short space of time, we tracked two Fathers and Sons in the same team.

Must be some sort of record?

Does anybody know of any others in so short a time?

• Like 1

I remember reading in the Star about the 3 Jays riding in the same meeting in 1964 (last year of the long gone and lamented Prov. League). I recall seeing Alan ride many times in the mid sixties-is Alan Jay still with us (hopefully) ?

• Like 1

Ivan and Kym Mauger ? i am sure they did meet in competition? Barry/ Tony Briggs i don’t think Barry ever rode against Tony.This was mainly because Tony started his career in the USA and i can remember there being a rumpus about Tony/ Dave Bargh being to young to ride in the Australasian Final.They could of met in one of those finals but didn’t, even though both of the Briggoe’s did ride endless laps against each other.

• Like 1

John Louis & Mike Lanham at Ipswich in 1976 and twenty years later sons Chris and Leigh.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:02 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Ivan and Kym Mauger ? i am sure they did meet in competition? Barry/ Tony Briggs i don’t think Barry ever rode against Tony.This was mainly because Tony started his career in the USA and i can remember there being a rumpus about Tony/ Dave Bargh being to young to ride in the Australasian Final.They could of met in one of those finals but didn’t, even though both of the Briggoe’s did ride endless laps against each other.

Not sure Sid but I think they both represented New Zealand perhaps in a WTC Qualifying Round?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure Sid but I think they both represented New Zealand perhaps in a WTC Qualifying Round?

Spot on Steve your memory is still terrific, sorted through my World team cup programmes.1985 KYM MAUGER rode with IVAN at BRADFORD he was surprisingly in the team in front of Alan Mason.Was never really a fan of the World team cup Steve my three main memories of the tournament are 1979 New Zealand winning  1982. USA winning it for Denny Pyeatt( RIP) at White City and Tommy Knudsen scoring a brilliant 12 point maximum at Long Beach California 1985.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Spot on Steve your memory is still terrific, sorted through my World team cup programmes.1985 KYM MAUGER rode with IVAN at BRADFORD he was surprisingly in the team in front of Alan Mason.Was never really a fan of the World team cup Steve my three main memories of the tournament are 1979 New Zealand winning  1982. USA winning it for Denny Pyeatt( RIP) at White City and Tommy Knudsen scoring a brilliant 12 point maximum at Long Beach California 1985.

I only managed to see one final live and that was at White City when the Kiwis were successful in 1979. England's triumph in Poland in 1974 must go down as one of the most remarkable and duly claimed England as being at their peak internationally in my opinion. In 1976 they caught a cold (perhaps too complacent?) when Australia beat them at Ipswich but returned to add two further titles in 1977 and 1980 when they overturned the Yanks! The 1989 triumph was over shadowed by Erik Gundersen's tragic accident.

Edited by steve roberts

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

I only managed to see one final live and that was at White City when the Kiwis were successful in 1979. England's triumph in Poland in 1974 must go down as one of the most remarkable and duly claimed England as being at their peak internationally in my opinion. In 1976 they caught a cold (perhaps too complacent?) when Australia beat them at Ipswich but returned to add two further titles in 1977 and 1980 when they overturned the Yanks!

I only went to  the rain soddened Reading world team cup round,  White City 1982  Kings Lynn 1984  as i said was never a real fan of the competition.