British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Panthers v Aces II 19/07/21

Because almost no-one was wearing a mask in the Grand Stand?

Strange meeting really, the early heats it seemed as if all the riders were so fast & smooth it just didn't produce any racing, I bet up to heat 8 no matter who had gate 1 came first and whoever had gate 4 finished last, gate 2 second and gate 3 third more often than not.  Until then it seemed as if the Panthers had the advantage but just couldn't pull away.

Heat 8 produced a great race between Worrall & Harris.  Worrall clearly quicker but impeded by Etheridge in front of both a couple of times which allowed Harris a sniff,  they swapped places until the final bend when Worrall failed to take Harris wide enough to end his challenge.

Heat 10 was odd, Andersen remonstrated with the referee at the end, obviously thought that Wright has grasstracked to pass him on the inside.

During the interval either the Aces found their gating gloves or the Panthers discarded theirs because it was simply one way traffic.  Kurtz woke up.  Harris had an EF at the tapes, even a Plam Toft TS did nothing to ease the flow of points to the Ace's.  MPT had been the most consistent Panther to that point.

Heat 15, saw Harris redeem himself a little outfoxing Bewley in a good battle for the minor placings, his EF didn't help but certainly didn't cost Peterborough the meeting.

Panthers are a strange team, it's almost as if they have 4 3rd heat leaders, 2 better than average second strings and a reserve.  Will see if they can bounce back at Owlerton on Thursday.

Edited by Col

Track was poor for racing last night, Edwin may be having a little death in the box (if you know what I mean) because of the race times but it doesn't make for great Speedway racing.

And... What on earth is Bomber riding these days? They don't appear to be GM's, I know he's dabbled with GTR's in the past, is he now riding Goddens? Or something else? Is he riding subsidised engines? His e/f in Heat 12 was the turning point in the match, when he came round to the tapes I could see he was on a "new" whatever it is and thought to myself, I hope that doesn't pack up and within yards of leaving the tapes it had.

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

Track was poor for racing last night, Edwin may be having a little death in the box (if you know what I mean) because of the race times but it doesn't make for great Speedway racing.

And... What on earth is Bomber riding these days? They don't appear to be GM's, I know he's dabbled with GTR's in the past, is he now riding Goddens? Or something else? Is he riding subsidised engines? His e/f in Heat 12 was the turning point in the match, when he came round to the tapes I could see he was on a "new" whatever it is and thought to myself, I hope that doesn't pack up and within yards of leaving the tapes it had.

I've just been looking a some of Jeff Davies' action  shots  from last night's meeting & there is one of Bomber . He is definitely using G M engines but I can't read who the tuner is I'm afraid.

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

I've just been looking a some of Jeff Davies' action  shots  from last night's meeting & there is one of Bomber . He is definitely using G M engines but I can't read who the tuner is I'm afraid.

The ones on Twitter? Yeah he is in that shot but he came out on one for heat 12 with a more rounded top (I'm not a technical person as you can tell lol)

Interesting to read the comments re the track.

Attended as a neutral. Thoroughly enjoyed the meeting. I have definitely seen better racing at Peterborough but still thought it was very watchable. A number of the races without passing were still very close. In addition, for there to be no dust on such a hot day was something that the track staff should be proud of.

A few digs at Buster Chapman on here but I have also been to Kings Lynn this season and the racing was excellent.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Revenge on the Aces.

Landslide victory for us. Dan Bewley's form has dropped right off and since that happend Belle Vue have started to drop points everywhere. Bewley has to go through the card in order for the Aces to take a league point imo.

Oops 

• Haha 2

Since this was the first no restrictions meeting, what was the crowd like compared to previous meetings.

15 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

Since this was the first no restrictions meeting, what was the crowd like compared to previous meetings.

It looked pretty healthy (by today's standards), it was a beautiful summer's evening... for exact figures, ask somebody on the turnstiles, as somebody once told me :D

Edited by iainb

34 minutes ago, iainb said:

It looked pretty healthy (by today's standards), it was a beautiful summer's evening... for exact figures, ask somebody on the turnstiles, as somebody once told me :D

One for the tax records,  one for me, one for the tax records, one for me.......

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KIRKYLANE said:

I wasn't at the first meeting on bank holiday Monday 31 May but was told there was more at that first meeting then Monday even though it was suppose to be restricted!
That being said though I thought Monday was a healthy crowd and better then some of the crowds I've seen there in previous years.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:34 AM, Rob B said:

I wasn't at the first meeting on bank holiday Monday 31 May but was told there was more at that first meeting then Monday even though it was suppose to be restricted!
That being said though I thought Monday was a healthy crowd and better then some of the crowds I've seen there in previous years.

I was there, Grandstand looked fuller due to Covid restrictions, great meeting. I was on holiday in Wisbech so not far to go, but the Belle Vue fans traveling home would surely of had a good journey home. 

On holiday in Wisbech? Good grief.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

On holiday in Wisbech? Good grief.

Former Speedway rider and multi Hot Rod World Champion, Barry Lee, once described Wisbech as the "ar5e end of the universe" and that was before the stadium was knocked down and a supermarket built on the site. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Former Speedway rider and multi Hot Rod World Champion, Barry Lee, once described Wisbech as the "ar5e end of the universe" and that was before the stadium was knocked down and a supermarket built on the site. 

He'd never been to Stoke then :rofl:

• Haha 1