British Speedway Forum
Col

Tigers v Panthers 22/07

Predictably, Peterborough were the best team on the night and duly bagged the points. From a Tigers perspective, we could all see this coming due to only half the team performing. 

I'll miss the next home match due to holidays, so won't see any more speedway for five weeks. I hope by that time significant team changes will have been made or we can say goodbye to any hope of a top four place.

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Tbf to Pearson he's right about Batch,  he's not that bad a rider, he needs more speedway,  wasn't he the highest averaged rider at the start of the season?

He certainly looks awful just now, but he also looked awful last season in Poland. 2.50 average in the few meetings that Rybnik actually allowed him before they let him go down to the lower league, where he banged in a whopping 5.05 average. 

I've no idea what is wrong with him just now, but he isn't the same rider as before. Maybe he has just lost it after becoming a father? (he IS now a father, isn't he, or am I thinking of someone else?)

4 hours ago, bluebee said:

A poor match. Little passing. Is it always like that at Sheffield.

Yeah. I was NOT impressed by what was on offer tonight. If that's normal for Sheffield, I'd probably give that a miss.

4 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Sam is vastly experienced and knowledgable about speedway. He is exactly the sort of person we need on our speedway screens. 
Hopefully he will be back more regular. Great to see him and Jan adding comments tonight. More of the same please.

You don’t have to agree btw, the more knowledgable ex riders the better. 

Sam is knowledgable about the sport. He is an absolutely awful commentator, but could be useful as a summariser between races. Back in the very old days he used to be quite good in the studio on Sky for GPs.

3 hours ago, zlata prilba said:

Don't know I was just thinking who could replace him that's all even Bjerre comes to mind if they are willing to come over here

If Polish rules allow riders to sign a contract after their Polish season is over, Bjerre would only become available at the same time as Nicki...No idea around averages, but I'd definitely go for Nicki if he was an option rather than Bjerre, assuming averages allowed. For either of them, you have almost a month to wait until they are done in Poland, though.

Edited by HenryW

39 minutes ago, HenryW said:

I've no idea what is wrong with him just now, but he isn't the same rider as before. Maybe he has just lost it after becoming a father? (he IS now a father, isn't he, or am I thinking of someone else?)

yep

Sam is knowledgable about the sport. He is an absolutely awful commentator

i felt the same when Peter Collins did it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Can you see him doing what Bomber did tonight at reserve, he looks slow and was well tailed off in ht8 against Wright 

He has won heat 1 both times this week 

15 minutes ago, Flappy said:

He has won heat 1 both times this week 

Inside gate, slick track and riders unable to pass each other.

Hans doesn't struggle out the start. 

A triple team change is needed in my opinion.

Batch, Wright & Bates to make way, needs to happen sooner rather than later too.

• Like 2

Changes need to happen before the next meeting. Not sure Iverssen is the answer he seems to be injury prone last few years.  I don’t get why so many people slag basically all televised meetings off. This is modern day speedway. The bikes are too fast for the outdated British tracks. Sometimes the production of the meeting is poor as the camera seems to follow the race leader and not the race behind him. It’s the same with th GP. You never get 15 heats of brilliant speedway we never have. It’s a myth that some think that from the 70s  Arena Essex and Eastbourne always had poor meetings when they raced against teams from bigger tracks on their Mickey Mouse trick tracks. At the end of the day if the meeting is boring turn the Chanel over and watch a soap or love island. I know what I would rather watch 

• Like 1

Was probably the poorest advert for Speedway and Owlerton I've seen live.  Having been forced to watch the visit of the Aces from 3/4 bends I was looking forward to standing by the tapes, but ended up on the 3/4 bends after a few heats, the greyhound equipment on the home straight does impair the view.  I'd obviously got a good spot higher on the terracing earlier on previous visits.   The annoying thing is that you can get a reasonable unimpaired view on the entry of the first turn but it's got yellow hatch paint and some steward is standing guard - why?

Best race was Batchelor v/s Pedersen, Howarth didn't really get going I also think Stead missed a trick when Howarth hit the tapes, why didn't he put Bickley in the re-run to get his third ride out of the way?  It was rather pointless as it happens because the other Tigers reserve Wright didn't trouble the scorers much but he didn't know that.   And I'm afraid Tigers won't make the playoffs unless there is a change.  Another thing I think Stead is getting wrong, in the absence of Holder and while Batchelor remains highest in the averages surely putting Ellis at 5, Howarth with Guest at 3 & 4 and Pickering at 2 would make most sense?

1 hour ago, OdsalBoy said:

A triple team change is needed in my opinion.

Batch, Wright & Bates to make way, needs to happen sooner rather than later too.

Sheffield definitely not making the playoffs but who’s out there to bring in .

My first visit to Owlerton for a while and it was worth it to see Panthers record a great win in the end and a very welcome 4 points.

Their seemed less places to watch from the last time we were there and we ended up on the 3rd/4th bend which was cooler and had a welcoming breeze.

I must be honest and thought it was a better racing track than that but the actual racing was pretty dire, most races were pretty much done and dusted by the second bend or back straight on lap one and it was follow the leader after that. Bomber was the only rider who made a decent pass early doors.

For Sheffield Ellis was quick, Howarth good value and Morris was ok but the rest were pretty poor and Batchelor looks like his confidence is shot, the reserves were woeful.

For Panthers Bomber was excellent and really attacked the track, Andersen and Pedersen both started well but faded and Palm Toft and Nicholls were solid rather than spectacular, nice to see Palin score a few and Ostergaard was excellent after blowing a bike up in his second.

I also thought Rob Lyon did a cracking job in getting Panthers home with a full 4 Points.

All in all a cracking effort after Monday’s woes at Alwalton.

I always enjoyed the racing at Sheffield and rated the track in the top 3 British tracks. …….used to go 8 or 9 times a season.

In recent years the quality of racing has taken a nose dive to the point where I rarely go as I have been so disappointed with the racing.

Last night, I watched it on Eurosport and my mother who has watched Speedway since the 60s commented around heat 11 “ there hasn’t been much passing”

would love to see Sheffield get back to having a good race track

• Like 2

That was what we all expected, well done Peterborough, we are hampered going into every match with a reserve riding a number 1

The management need to tell us why they are keeping Batchelor

in order for us to win we need Howarth and Pickering to be at the top of their game each week, and they arent going to do that, which is why they are at 2 and 4 in the team

they both never stop trying but on a track like last night there was not much chance of them passing anyone

Well done to Ellis as well another great display, Morris wasnt bad but we no guest will replace Holder

Why do we ask Bickley to guest?, he has never scored a point for us

Hopfully changes before the next meeting, or i can see the crowd going down

6 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

My first visit to Owlerton for a while and it was worth it to see Panthers record a great win in the end and a very welcome 4 points.

Their seemed less places to watch from the last time we were there and we ended up on the 3rd/4th bend which was cooler and had a welcoming breeze.

I must be honest and thought it was a better racing track than that but the actual racing was pretty dire, most races were pretty much done and dusted by the second bend or back straight on lap one and it was follow the leader after that. Bomber was the only rider who made a decent pass early doors.

For Sheffield Ellis was quick, Howarth good value and Morris was ok but the rest were pretty poor and Batchelor looks like his confidence is shot, the reserves were woeful.

For Panthers Bomber was excellent and really attacked the track, Andersen and Pedersen both started well but faded and Palm Toft and Nicholls were solid rather than spectacular, nice to see Palin score a few and Ostergaard was excellent after blowing a bike up in his second.

I also thought Rob Lyon did a cracking job in getting Panthers home with a full 4 Points.

All in all a cracking effort after Monday’s woes at Alwalton.

It was a little crowded on the 3/4 bend .1st trip for me since the dreaded covid . You were the better side Harris really enjoyed it ,the track definitely suited him . Would have liked to see palin a little more looks a decent prospect 

54 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

I always enjoyed the racing at Sheffield and rated the track in the top 3 British tracks. …….used to go 8 or 9 times a season.

In recent years the quality of racing has taken a nose dive to the point where I rarely go as I have been so disappointed with the racing.

Last night, I watched it on Eurosport and my mother who has watched Speedway since the 60s commented around heat 11 “ there hasn’t been much passing”

would love to see Sheffield get back to having a good race track

The racing last night reminded me of how Swindon became before they shortened it. Four riders going round equispaced for four laps in many races.