Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
PowerfulPierre

Leicester vs Poole 24 July 2021

Recommended Posts

Just got back and has to go down as one of the shock results of the season. But arriving at the track with the Poole boys walking the track you could see they were really up for it and so it proved. Every rider battled hard for every point and Pirates were often first out of the gate and at Leicester it’s not easy to pass. A good crowd, no controversy, and three unexpected but certainly deserved points for Poole. First home defeat for Leicester in three years but all good things have to come to an end and clearly they are still the team to beat if you want the title in 2021.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Poole well deserved winners!

 

Morris just couldn’t get out the starts tonight but won Heat 13 well. Not Lions night but they will come back soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robinh88 said:

Well done Poole well deserved winners!

 

Morris just couldn’t get out the starts tonight but won Heat 13 well. Not Lions night but they will come back soon enough.

Two falls for him too, that's completely out of character this year .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Trees said:

Two falls for him too, that's completely out of character this year .....

Looked like the shadow of the rider he was when at Swindon a few years ago. Definitely looks like his best seasons are behind him. Thought he would progress to bigger things but slipped back considerably.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lions outgated for most of the evening. Simple as that.

Edited by Happy Hunter
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Trees said:

Whatever happened to Nick Morris tonight, 2 falls? Out of character so far this season?

 

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Two falls for him too, that's completely out of character this year .....

His fall in Heat 15 was because he was busting a gut to get by Worrall to salvage a draw. They could still be racing now and he still wouldn't be able to get by.

I thought it was a good match score wise but the racing was almost non existent! Heats 9 & 10 were quite good tussles. Otherwise everything was settled after bend 2 of lap 1. Unbelievably the announcer was yet again blowing smoke up the messiah's bottom during the interval when trying to get positive comments about the track from Kennedy. It maybe very nice to ride on, I don't know, but to make a pass on it's almost impossible, or was last night, that's why Morris had to pull his kamikaze move in the last "race".

Still at least it was all over quickly... another 92 minute meeting.

Well done to Poole.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Looked like the shadow of the rider he was when at Swindon a few years ago. Definitely looks like his best seasons are behind him. Thought he would progress to bigger things but slipped back considerably.

Utter crap

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Robinh88 said:

Well done Poole well deserved winners!

 

Morris just couldn’t get out the starts tonight but won Heat 13 well. Not Lions night but they will come back soon enough.

Thanks for the praise Robinh88. I didn't expect to get anything last night. Leicester are a top side and we will have to be on our guard on Wednesday as the Lions will be looking for revenge.

I thought the meeting was full of action and close riding. Leicester is not the best race track for passing but all in all there were some decent heats.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iainb said:

 

His fall in Heat 15 was because he was busting a gut to get by Worrall to salvage a draw. They could still be racing now and he still wouldn't be able to get by.

I thought it was a good match score wise but the racing was almost non existent! Heats 9 & 10 were quite good tussles. Otherwise everything was settled after bend 2 of lap 1. Unbelievably the announcer was yet again blowing smoke up the messiah's bottom during the interval when trying to get positive comments about the track from Kennedy. It maybe very nice to ride on, I don't know, but to make a pass on it's almost impossible, or was last night, that's why Morris had to pull his kamikaze move in the last "race".

Still at least it was all over quickly... another 92 minute meeting.

Well done to Poole.

Pleased they got on with it. Hate dragged out meetings. As for the track, there was as much passing last night as when Helmsley designed the original track. Almost none. I have been to Leicester quite a few times over the years and can count the amount of passing there on my fingers of both hands. Hardly ever any. Gate, make sure you are leading down the back straight and game over. Last night in heat 15, once Worrall had gated, I thought the only way he would lose it is if he had an ef or a bad mistake. 
 

They have changed the shape by bringing in the corners but something is still seriously wrong. The inside off bend two needs to work but once on the high line a rider could bust a gut, only to see the other rider ride the wide line and maintain the lead. The third and forth bends just don’t seem to give any opportunity of a pass, though Hans fell asleep in one heat allowing Worrall up the inside for a straight. The club had the opportunity of a Bydgoszcz shaped track from the get go and completely blew it. 

1 hour ago, Robinh88 said:

Utter crap

Sorry but that’s how I see it and his scores show the same. When he came onto the scene he was a bright rising star who looked destined to go places. At Swindon he looked a real force and with Doyle was very hard to beat. But the fact that Poland are not interested, and his scores are mediocre shows the forward momentum he had has vanished, and he is now at his level. Potential unfulfilled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pleased they got on with it. Hate dragged out meetings. As for the track, there was as much passing last night as when Helmsley designed the original track. Almost none. I have been to Leicester quite a few times over the years and can count the amount of passing there on my fingers of both hands. Hardly ever any. Gate, make sure you are leading down the back straight and game over. Last night in heat 15, once Worrall had gated, I thought the only way he would lose it is if he had an ef or a bad mistake. 
 

They have changed the shape by bringing in the corners but something is still seriously wrong. The inside off bend two needs to work but once on the high line a rider could bust a gut, only to see the other rider ride the wide line and maintain the lead. The third and forth bends just don’t seem to give any opportunity of a pass, though Hans fell asleep in one heat allowing Worrall up the inside for a straight. The club had the opportunity of a Bydgoszcz shaped track from the get go and completely blew it. 

Sorry but that’s how I see it and his scores show the same. When he came onto the scene he was a bright rising star who looked destined to go places. At Swindon he looked a real force and with Doyle was very hard to beat. But the fact that Poland are not interested, and his scores are mediocre shows the forward momentum he had has vanished, and he is now at his level. Potential unfulfilled. 

They should give Chris Morton a call... when you're starting off from such a bad base that turd needs a really good polish, there's obviously a fundamental problem with the shape/ track proportions at Leicester but the surface and preparation is all they can realistically work on. In the last week I've been to Peterborough, saw a track record but not 1 good race that I can recollect,  been to Birmingham, watched the "racing" through clouds of dust, watched the Sheffield match on TV,  absolute garbage... and Leicester last night, 2 good races out of 15.

As for Morris, he's plateaued and got as good as he's going to get for me, which is OK, not everybody is going to be world champion and he still does a good job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pleased they got on with it. Hate dragged out meetings. As for the track, there was as much passing last night as when Helmsley designed the original track. Almost none. I have been to Leicester quite a few times over the years and can count the amount of passing there on my fingers of both hands. Hardly ever any. Gate, make sure you are leading down the back straight and game over. Last night in heat 15, once Worrall had gated, I thought the only way he would lose it is if he had an ef or a bad mistake. 
 

They have changed the shape by bringing in the corners but something is still seriously wrong. The inside off bend two needs to work but once on the high line a rider could bust a gut, only to see the other rider ride the wide line and maintain the lead. The third and forth bends just don’t seem to give any opportunity of a pass, though Hans fell asleep in one heat allowing Worrall up the inside for a straight. The club had the opportunity of a Bydgoszcz shaped track from the get go and completely blew it. 

Sorry but that’s how I see it and his scores show the same. When he came onto the scene he was a bright rising star who looked destined to go places. At Swindon he looked a real force and with Doyle was very hard to beat. But the fact that Poland are not interested, and his scores are mediocre shows the forward momentum he had has vanished, and he is now at his level. Potential unfulfilled. 

I would agree he has found his level and injuries haven’t helped. Pre last night averaging 10.17 no reason why he can’t achieve a 10 point ave which would be his best return at pl level ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truth is Hemsley shaped a speedway track like his beloved cycle speedway, long straights tight bends followed speedway all my life across Europe many tracks now days limited passing. still go take the family but passing is limited at Leicester. Only real solution is to widen the bends as most riders coming off the 4th bed about hit the fence. To do this you either move the temp stands back or re locate back straight never going to happen only the day I win the lottery and buy for the fans and secure long term with other uses ie football stock cars dogs to get some business revenue in we can but dream. Up the lions..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the space available, t is possibly the worst designed track of recent years. there were no restrictions, an entirely blank page...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spiegal said:

With all the space available, t is possibly the worst designed track of recent years. there were no restrictions, an entirely blank page...

And built with no thought as to where the sun would be setting lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The track has been excellent for the most part this season, Last night it appeared to be super smooth, so don’t know if that contributed to less passing than usual this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy