British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petecc

Birmingham v Redcar ko Cup,

22 minutes ago, ch958 said:

Wheels was a great track - surely cheaper to operate from there?

It's a sh!thole.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, OGT said:

It's a sh!thole.

looks like where Redcar are set up - also in the less salubrious part of town but steadily improving facilities and more importantly a top track

• Like 1

It is a rubbishhole though. Went there for a stox meeting in 2018, it was far worse than the last time speedway was raced there in 1986. Also the track is tarmac, the centre green is a total mess and the fence is Armco. The speedway track was only ever any good in 1985 and even then it deteriorated before the end of that season. The stockcars carried on ruining it through 86, then the promotion gave up. It's in the wrong part of Brum too, not exactly dripping with transport links. A definite no-no IMO. 

• Like 5

I went to the first ever meeting at the Wheels in 1984, and a further six meetings over the next 2 seasons. Unfortunately one of those was against Ellesmere Port, when Joe Owen had his awful accident. Some i did by car, some by train. I seem to remember it was a fair walk from New street station.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Osirian08 said:

Is the Birmingham club website down ?  Keep getting a page cannot be found error

Looks like it's down 

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went to the first ever meeting at the Wheels in 1984, and a further six meetings over the next 2 seasons. Unfortunately one of those was against Ellesmere Port, when Joe Owen had his awful accident. Some i did by car, some by train. I seem to remember it was a fair walk from New street station.

I was there too. A horrible crash, poor Joey. 

Do people only come on this forum to have a rant about speedway? Its very sad that all fans can do is moan, always looking for the negative, No mention yet of a great nights racing, pleanty of passing , a great performance by all of the Brummies, no mention of Grobauer being on the pace, ash back to form , a great perfomace by Paco who beat Jake Allen,, Riss with his jaw dopping ride  against the air fence in ht 15., come on peeps lighten up.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, OGT said:

It is a rubbishhole though. Went there for a stox meeting in 2018, it was far worse than the last time speedway was raced there in 1986. Also the track is tarmac, the centre green is a total mess and the fence is Armco. The speedway track was only ever any good in 1985 and even then it deteriorated before the end of that season. The stockcars carried on ruining it through 86, then the promotion gave up. It's in the wrong part of Brum too, not exactly dripping with transport links. A definite no-no IMO. 

10 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The Wheels area would be a great place to re-locate, but I suspect the area will be a prime site for redevelopment once HS2 Curzon street opens. The nearest station is Adderley Park. Once New street has some of it London traffic relocated to Curzon Street, more local services can be added, so the service to Adderley Park could be increased making the area a prime site for re-development 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Historian said:

Do people only come on this forum to have a rant about speedway? Its very sad that all fans can do is moan, always looking for the negative, No mention yet of a great nights racing, pleanty of passing , a great performance by all of the Brummies, no mention of Grobauer being on the pace, ash back to form , a great perfomace by Paco who beat Jake Allen,, Riss with his jaw dopping ride  against the air fence in ht 15., come on peeps lighten up.

No disrespect to you Historian....but I think the talk of Birmingham's future is a positive and not a rant about speedway? May be the topic is being discussed on the wrong thread?

Just my thoughts.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

No disrespect to you Historian....but I think the talk of Birmingham's future is a positive and not a rant about speedway? May be the topic is being discussed on the wrong thread?

Just my thoughts.....

I was referring to earlier posts

Wrong thread,

36 minutes ago, Osirian08 said:

Is the Birmingham club website down ?  Keep getting a page cannot be found error

Maintenance work being done on the server I have been told but should be all up and running again soon.

the wheels is up for re-development, so it will disappear. current tennents have been told to leave.

I enjoyed last night, role on Plymouth. A much better performance by the lads.

Drinks of cordial I believe for kids and pints of tap water with ice at the bar are FREE! Fill your boots.. I did. :)

Edited by Deano
  • Like 2

It can often be difficult to accurately assess crowd levels at Perry Barr, especially on a night like last night when it was unbearably hot. On these sort of evenings many spectators who normally don't care for watching the racing from inside, will change their stance and go into the bar which is air conditioned and allows them to watch the meeting without sweltering.

The same situation also occurs on very cold nights when the bar is centrally heated and much more comfortable.

For what it is worth, I thought the attendance was a bit better last night than in the previous two meetings. I'm not saying we do not need more if the speedway is to become viable, but it is at least a good sign, and if the quality of the racing that we saw last night can be maintained, then the signs are positive. I know that the new track curator Dixie Dean, is working hard on the track surface, and it is showing a definite improvement.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Osirian08 said:

Yes.its still not working at the moment,dunno but a few sites have been down today like the Speedway Star site ?..

Must be the weather , ha ha

Edited by Bluenose