British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Must admit I have enjoyed the differing opinions on this thread.. 

Makes the forum what it should be..

Open and honest debate..

And having read so much of what has been said and discussed around what a nightmare Rob Grant found himself in, then I really hope the fans of Newcastle all turn out to support the club this weekend..

It would be great if all those 'flouting fans' who go now and again, but still closely follow the club, all made the deliberate effort to all attend this weekend..

Be a good boost for the Promotion I would think...

NB. As an aside, I do think that the 'pay at the gate', 'stand where you want' message needs to pushed massively by all the tracks on their social media pages. Still lots of confusion out there from lots of people as to "the covid rules", so Speedway should be 100% hammering home that message..

The nightmare that Rob Grant found himself in is extremely unfortunate. What is also unfortunate is the people who think that they can post on his behalf. If Rob has ok’d that then fine, it’s his business to destroy. I would like to think that he would be mortified. slagging on social media officially or by proxy is not the way to go. The past cannot be changed.

• Like 5

Info for all fans planning on attending the home championship clash with Glasgow Tigers Speedway on Sunday 15th August.
 For this meeting ONLY we will be reverting back to our previous tapes up time of 6️⃣.3️⃣0️⃣PM!!
This is as not to clash with Newcastle United's opening home fixture against West Ham (2pm kick off)

8 hours ago, StevePark said:

Does this mean there was no discussion with Trollope before the track was prepared? Who briefed Trollope and didn't discuss it with the riders? Frankly an apology after the event isn't needed, the Diamonds were always going to struggle this year based on the late entry in 2020 and the relative inexperience of the promotion. No need to chuck the lads under a bus there have been changes galore all season they will have felt bad enough after the weekend without further public humiliation.

Oh and a spell checker for whoever is doing the website releases might help, it's beginning to look like the village fete committee are at the helm!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Does this mean there was no discussion with Trollope before the track was prepared? Who briefed Trollope and didn't discuss it with the riders? Frankly an apology after the event isn't needed, the Diamonds were always going to struggle this year based on the late entry in 2020 and the relative inexperience of the promotion. No need to chuck the lads under a bus there have been changes galore all season they will have felt bad enough after the weekend without further public humiliation.

Oh and a spell checker for whoever is doing the website releases might help, it's beginning to look like the village fete committee are at the helm!

Agree on all aspects...

Playing a blame game is never a good response as a leadership team...

As you say, given the team they have they are going to take a few 'beastings' so no need to give out apologies..

And as most riders get paid based on performance, I am sure it wasn't down to lack of effort.

Lack of ability maybe, but any team who get beat by a superior one can testify to that...

If it needed mentioning then it should have been a simple "We are all extremely disappointed but are all equally committed to turn it round"..

And as you say, if you go public as a professional entity, for heaven's sake, get your message out using the correct English language, as it can come across as amateurish, and brand damaging, when you don't..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

Don’t think apology is needed,most fans know that is a very weak Diamonds Team and Redcar are a good Team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think apology is needed,most fans know that is a very weak Diamonds Team and Redcar are a good Team.

Agree with that, but most isn't all. Any good news on moving forward might/could be better.

Have to agree with most whilst the frustration of the promotion is evident a public apology stating that riders have been told its not good enough doesn't smack of harmony within. The track was a little different to usual and the boys struggled a little but im confident they will all be suitably adjusted for our next home meeting would have sufficed IMO.

• Like 1

Once again he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. If it had happened at other teams it would have been “How refreshing shows how much he cares” At Newcastle not a chance.

• Like 6

I don’t see the problem.. yes the track was different but should Alfie Bowtell, Dan Thompson and Ashley Morris be getting paid 34 points absolutely not! 
Redcar are a decent side but we should not be losing by 20 points.

One or two of our riders are off the boil and thank god for Howarth and Barker otherwise it would of been a lot more. 

Hopefully we should see an improvement on Sunday :t:

• Like 3

With the team assembled way under the points limit.  A number one released to cut costs.  Two riders making comebacks and originally signing a NDL second string as a reserve then you surely can’t expect a winning team as well !!!!

especially when you don’t put your top scorer in heat 15 presumably to keep your wage bill down. 

1 hour ago, MrP said:

Once again he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. If it had happened at other teams it would have been “How refreshing shows how much he cares” At Newcastle not a chance.

Totally agree with you. They can’t do right for doing wrong. It’s ok for others to complain about Sunday night but when the management team apologise it’s a different kettle of fish. In future Rob and team don’t bother as your no better thought of. It’s called caring about Newcastle speedway and doing the best with what they have.

• Like 6

Honestly

What the real shame was... is this meeting wasn't bad and there was plenty of passing and some good competitive racing; there was a healthy crowd in the stadium and it was the first time this season the overflow car park had to be used so there were a lot of positives to take out of Sunday; however I couldn't get my second nose bag because of the queue at the chuck waggon which again I suppose isn't a bad thing cos one; I'm fat enough and two; it means the food was selling well although there were no chips available; come on guys "No chips" I'm starting to think this is a witch hunt against fat lads; you'll be selling salad next... however the result was just the wrong way round and its accepted that Redcar have a good team but again apart from the dust off the track it was a good days entertainment... the club have nothing to apologise for IMHO or to feel embarrassed about that's for sure...

Onwards and upwards and bring on Berwick this Sunday and lets see how we get on... As a team surely we cant gate as poorly as we did against Redcar... Here's a question has the promotion set up for a change with that strongly worded statement? maybe... who knows but possibly there could be news coming... but all in all there were a lot of positives to take out of Sunday other than the final score and the dusty track... and on that point... this defeat does not technically hit the top 20 biggest defeats at Brough... (that might change when Poole come or maybe Edinburgh again... Doh) that 20 point differential has been matched 3 times in the past and sits in the joint 20th place and those others were 32 - 52 against Edinburgh 27th July 1951; a 29 - 49 against Poole 19th June 1961 and 29 - 49 against Cradley Heath on the 6th August 1984 and on the 21st of June 2012 we pumped Redcar down their place 58 - 37 so "Schmit Happens" and what goes around comes around... however saying that Middlesbrough did do us on the 19th of May 1947 with a 30 - 65  reversal for our joint top (sitting in second place by date only) heaviest ever home defeat; but even Barry Wallace can barely remember that one...

As D:Ream said "Things can only get better" and they will... Honest... I think the Berwick match will be much more keenly contested and much closer...

Regards
THJ

Data Supplied from the excellent book compiled by Joe Wake "History of Speedway at Brough Park Newcastle 1929 to 2018"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

With the team assembled way under the points limit.  A number one released to cut costs.  Two riders making comebacks and originally signing a NDL second string as a reserve then you surely can’t expect a winning team as well !!!!

especially when you don’t put your top scorer in heat 15 presumably to keep your wage bill down. 

Not quite right Jason

Vissing getting released had nothing to do with cutting costs...

It would have been cheaper to put Kyle in heat 15 rather than James; however James had wanted to try something on his bike and his set up... and presumably practice his rolling starts (Ahem)… so again you are wide of the mark with the last comment...

However you are spot on with the bit in the middle... 

Regards
THJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1