British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

8 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Think they made it a Friday night because they knew I couldn't make a Friday? Doh...

Regards 

THJ

Aye, they've got you sussed. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Think they made it a Friday night because they knew I couldn't make a Friday? Doh...

Regards 

THJ

No chance, they would have made a fortune from the bar & food wagon if you was there !!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, pablo133 said:

The word from the pit fence area was that only Barker wanted to ride the other 6 riders refused, until Wrighty decided to give it a go, poor team spirit  if it's true! 

:rofl:

The little fella, "baby" Bjerre back at Newcastle?

• Haha 1

I'll be VERY happy with we DON'T end up with Lasse, yes...

What's happening with Josh Auty??? Hardly inspiring but at least he's a solid enough rider and may take the pressure off Clegg and Mountain if he becomes the 3rd heatleader...

Still dreaming about Rene or Ludvig's return :( Then I'll be VERY happy

12 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Nope...

Does that mean we're getting in a new rider? And you know who it is? OR are you just saying nope about wanting Lasse? I think a team change is more desperately needed now than ever before, to spark some kind of interest again...

Just now, Dandelion said:

Does that mean we're getting in a new rider? And you know who it is? OR are you just saying nope about wanting Lasse? I think a team change is more desperately needed now than ever before, to spark some kind of interest again...

We are not getting Lasse as far as I am aware and I know the promotion have been working tirelessly behind the scenes to try and bring in a new face however things are proving difficult on this matter... 

Unfortunately there isn't a shelf out there with riders sitting on who are waiting for a team slot at a Sunday venue...

So the last I heard was we were using a guest for Matty on Sunday...

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

I was going by what THJ had put on our topic about picking up "little man" at Newcastle Airport.

42 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I was going by what THJ had put on our topic about picking up "little man" at Newcastle Airport.

Lol no that little fella I picked up is a Scunny rider as it happens...

Regards 

THJ

Tero? Thanks but shame it's off but I know a few of us fans were missing so look forward to the re-staging.

• Like 1

Important Statement from the Promotion.
As we will have all seen recently, the Birmingham Brummies have unfortunately reached a crossroads in their season that they are describing as 'make or break', putting out an urgent plea for their fans, old and new, to get behind their club once and for all and attend their forthcoming meeting on Wednesday night, or face the reality that Birmingham may have to close it doors.
It is with extremely heavy hearts, that the Newcastle promotion would also like to make their supporters aware that due to low crowd numbers, we regrettably find ourselves in an insecure financial position leaving us uncertain of the future.
After a meeting held today following the low attendance numbers of the majority of the meetings this season, Co-promoters Rob Grant, Dave Tattum and Commercial Manager, Rachel Robley have came to the heartbreaking decision that unless this weekends double header meeting has a drastic improvement of crowd numbers, or any potential sponsor comes forward with a donation towards the club, then after 92 years, the future of Newcastle Speedway will be in doubt.
When the new promotion came to the rescue of the club at the end of 2019, the vision that was held for Newcastle was one of a brand new-era. Every person involved shared the belief that we could collectively bring this club back from the ashes and make the Diamonds shine bright once again.
First and foremost, the promotion would like the fans to understand that this vision does still firmly remain central in their hearts and it is all they want to achieve for the club. However, speedway is not a charity and we have all now lived through a pandemic and are still continuing to live through the after effects of a pandemic that has crippled business after business, with Rob's successful family butchers and event catering business also being no stranger to these after effects.
The grim reality of the matter is that Rob and his business has invested a large sum of money into Newcastle Speedway, especially after having to buy the club twice due to the liquidation and losing all revenue invested in the old company, and this is no longer sustainable.
Rob's main business has heavily subsidised the speedway through the uncertain times of the pandemic, whilst at the same time not being able to bring in its own potential full revenue due to the event and hospitality industry being forced to close over the past 18 months. It is only now that this sector can hopefully start to pick itself up for the rest of this year and 2022, meaning that Grants Event Catering is unable to continue subsidising the Speedway in the way it has been throughout Covid.
Newcastle Speedway can no longer continue running at the financial losses it is each week. This weekends double header meeting, against Poole Pirates and the Plymouth Gladiators featuring Steve Worrall, Danny King, Rory Schlein, Bjarne Pederson and hopefully former world champion Jason Crump, really is the best chance to save a 92 year old Tyneside institution.
The promotion feel they have done everything they can to highlight that Newcastle Speedway still exists and can offer thrilling entertainment for the whole family, including making this weekends double header amazing value at only £20 for adults, removing the car parking fee to make it cheaper to attend and spending countless hours promoting the Diamonds across the local area, but unfortunately the crowd numbers are still not high enough to meet the running costs each week of a speedway club.
The Just Giving page, that was a huge success and the promotion are still extremely grateful for, raising £2000 more than the initial £8000 target, helped cover the costs of a maximum of two meetings whilst running under covid-restrictions.
We now can not continue to do this alone, and we are calling on all of our supporters, far and wide, young and old, to please get behind your Diamonds and support your club this Sunday and for future meetings. We need a combined effort to make this weekends meeting great, with a great selection of riders for a great offer on admission and a great way for you and your family to spend your afternoon/evening otherwise the heartbreaking alternative that faces us, is that if the crowd is once again as low as it has been, it may seal the fate of the Newcastle Diamonds.
We really hope to see as many of you there as possible and if we can please ask for all our supporters to share the word to as many family or friends as possible
who would be interested to come along. We can not do this without you, let's all make sure Diamonds really are forever.
Many thanks,
Newcastle Diamonds Promotion
  • Sad 4

Really feel sorry to see Granty in this predicament, which is in no small way from what i have read due to the previous promotion and the BSPL suggesting it was better to purchase the previous promotion rather than liquidate the previous promotion with all its debts, sometimes its the good guys that fail not for failings on there part but due to previous incumbants building up debts which impact on the current season. Good luck and lets hope a way forward can be found.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yet the 2nd and 3rd biggest crowd pullers (after Redcar) this season are probably Poole ( with Steve Worrall and Danny King) and Plymouth ( with Bjarne Pedersen and [hopefully] Jason Crump) are here as a double header on the same day. Where you are never going to get close to getting the revenue you would from two individual fixtures. Yes you probably save on rent, but all the other costs are the same as two separate meetings. It's not as if we were short of Sundays. Madness!!