British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

1 minute ago, Bear_Bottom said:

At least he'll still have one income.

Only classed as income if you actually get paid…hope for him kings lynn pay and on time .

7 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Poole will be up first at 16:00 hours then Plymouth and with the best will in the world it won't finish before 8 I wouldn't of thought 

Regards 

THJ

When Berwick have had double headers this season with Championship & NDL fixtures they have managed to complete them in 3hrs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Normski said:

When Berwick have had double headers this season with Championship & NDL fixtures they have managed to complete them in 3hrs.

Aye you would hope but ave been to some real drawn out double ups but saying that after our previous brief foray into Championship & NDL fixtures against Edinburgh that was rattled through quite quickly to be fair... obviously depends on any injuries and the referee...

Regards 

THJ

55 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Aye you would hope but ave been to some real drawn out double ups but saying that after our previous brief foray into Championship & NDL fixtures against Edinburgh that was rattled through quite quickly to be fair... obviously depends on any injuries and the referee...

Regards 

THJ

Don’t know about you but even though I know it has to be done the worst part of a double header is the standing around waiting for the track to be regraded after the first meeting…. That seems to go on for ages and I have seen fans leave because of it 

Edited by KEITH M
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, bigred said:

Only classed as income if you actually get paid…hope for him kings lynn pay and on time .

So are you saying he hasn’t been paid?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Don’t know about you but even though I know it has to be done the worst part of a double header is rhe standing around waiting for the track to be regraded after the first meeting…. That seems to go on for ages and I have seen fans leave because of it 

Was an hour the interval at the Edinburgh meeting. :(

Feel for Granty,he got sold a pup.Trouble is all your Posts on here won’t help the situation one bit as most of  fans the forum are regular attenders.The sport is in trouble but the people running  the sport seem to think everything is rosy ,fans donations are propping up majority of Clubs.Perhaps Granty maybe should have started in NDL and built up from there.Only my opinion.Certainly doesn’t sound good for Newcastle and Birmingham given the financial climate at this present moment.

• Like 1

The trouble is if 500 tickets were available free and no one turned up, how can we get 300 more through the door if they have to pay? 
Keep retweeting etc and forwarding Facebook posts and hopefully some will decide to go or return if they have stopped going.

Hopefully the next 2 weekends bring in decentish away crowds which will help break even at least.  
Also anyone having a go at Granty after everything he has done is an idiot!! 

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Feel for Granty ,he got sold a pup. Trouble is all your Posts on here won’t help the situation one bit as most of  fans the forum are regular attenders. The sport is in trouble but the people running  the sport seem to think everything is rosy ,fans donations are propping up majority of Clubs. Perhaps Granty maybe should have started in NDL and built up from there. Only my opinion. Certainly doesn’t sound good for Newcastle and Birmingham given the financial climate at this present moment.

To be fair he didn't pay much for the pup however its upkeep is costing him an absolute fortune and if fans who are on the forum are also on Social Media and do their bit it cant do any harm to an already precarious situation. The NDL was a none starter as the Stadium and running costs make it a worse idea than running in the Championship.... The finances for running an NDL team at Newcastle just don't stack up whatsoever unfortunately and it has been considered by more than this promotion and rejected... Rob is between a rock and a hard place and his enthusiasm must be starting to wane by now as there are other issues rumbling away under the surface but he is trying to address the main problem to hand and he is promoting the hell out of the place but it all seems to be to no avail...

But I agree with most of what you say and things are not looking good for next season that is for sure... maybe for me ice the franchise for a year and see what the BSPL do and possibly come back in 2023 if its viable... but there needs to be big changes and to be totally honest I think people are running out of ideas.... things should have been done before now especially with regard to Poland and Brexit.... here is a daft idea "What happens if Poland say to all the riders over there we will pay you more and you only race in this league nowhere else" where will that leave the job... Knackered I would say...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

The only meetings this season that have covered there costs were the first one of the season against Edinburgh and then the Redcar match and the big difference between these two and the other meetings to date are those clubs brought fans to the fixture in numbers to swell the usual crowd, 

Regards
THJ

EXACTLY what I said on F/B and I got crucified for it .. I said the Redcar fans helped swell the crowd greatly but it was still a poor crowd for a Tyne-Tees derby 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Feel for Granty,he got sold a pup.Trouble is all your Posts on here won’t help the situation one bit as most of  fans the forum are regular attenders.The sport is in trouble but the people running  the sport seem to think everything is rosy ,fans donations are propping up majority of Clubs.Perhaps Granty maybe should have started in NDL and built up from there.Only my opinion.Certainly doesn’t sound good for Newcastle and Birmingham given the financial climate at this present moment.

Great committment, as ever, from the excellent THJ...but 'Fromafar' has hit the nail on the head this time.  The people on this forum are usually genuine speedway fans...and if they have a team, locally, to support they'll do so, certainly in most circumstances. It hurts like hell to lose your team, the Comets were my passion for many years and boy do I miss them. I was interested in THJ's maths re population catchment available. Newcastle being able to contact 300,000 folk......wow that pales into insignificance the 25,000 folk residing in Workington doesn't it? Even nearby jameaters Whitehaven only add 24,000.....small wonder Laura had the inability to persuade a profit making audience to rally round when the rot set in.

I'm afraid speedway is losing(lost) it's appeal to 50/50 committed folk....so many riders being team mates, then another night enemies, it's just so farcical. Second now in my view to WWE crap. I do sincerely hope the Diamonds carry on....but when the significant warning signs are sounded it does just remind of the 2018 season and a fond goodbye to the Derwent Park heroes. Sorry geordie guys, good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A know this might not help the cause much, but a think there's still plenty of folk out there, that still think were in lockdown.

• Like 1

Genuine question, did Rob truly believe the club would break even in his first year whilst also running an NDL team?

I don't think there's many teams that actually break even. Especially those that don't own their own stadiums.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Great committment, as ever, from the excellent THJ...but 'Fromafar' has hit the nail on the head this time.  The people on this forum are usually genuine speedway fans...and if they have a team, locally, to support they'll do so, certainly in most circumstances. It hurts like hell to lose your team, the Comets were my passion for many years and boy do I miss them. I was interested in THJ's maths re population catchment available. Newcastle being able to contact 300,000 folk......wow that pales into insignificance the 25,000 folk residing in Workington doesn't it? Even nearby jameaters Whitehaven only add 24,000.....small wonder Laura had the inability to persuade a profit making audience to rally round when the rot set in.

I'm afraid speedway is losing(lost) it's appeal to 50/50 committed folk....so many riders being team mates, then another night enemies, it's just so farcical. Second now in my view to WWE crap. I do sincerely hope the Diamonds carry on....but when the significant warning signs are sounded it does just remind of the 2018 season and a fond goodbye to the Derwent Park heroes. Sorry geordie guys, good luck.

It has certainly lost its appeal to 50/50 committed folk,the rider situation is farcical, people are just not seeing it as Professional Sport these day and are not going to spend that amount of money to keep many riders in a good little earner.

There is no easy solution,but there is not much urgency to do any thing about attendances not being able to match rider costs .Some of the “ middle of the road Teams” get by on supporter hand outs and muddle along but sooner or later that will run dry as there is not a lot of new fans being attracted.

So sad for a great sport.(If your a fan).