British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

1 hour ago, KEITH M said:

EXACTLY what I said on F/B and I got crucified for it .. I said the Redcar fans helped swell the crowd greatly but it was still a poor crowd for a Tyne-Tees derby 

Honestly

You are not wrong and the Redcar meeting was the highest crowd we have had this season and if we got the same numbers in for this double header I think the promotion would be quite pleased...

Also what needs to be pointed out is that these meetings are Speedway utopia being 10 quid per meeting at 20 quid for the two... it's many on this forums regular quip that Speedway is only a 10 quid sport... so surely thats another barrier removed by the promotion that would potentially restrict fans from attending...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

You are not wrong and the Redcar meeting was the highest crowd we have had this season and if we got the same numbers in for this double header I think the promotion would be quite pleased...

Also what needs to be pointed out is that these meetings are Speedway utopia being 10 quid per meeting at 20 quid for the two... it's many on this forums regular quip that Speedway is only a 10 quid sport... so surely thats another barrier removed by the promotion that would potentially restrict fans from attending...

Regards 

THJ

Could you give any reason why the club haven’t tried streaming live meetings,the Edinburgh and Glasgow meetings have been great to watch even,though not being a supporter of either team I’ve paid for the streams and enjoyed them.Surely for fans of visiting teams would add an extra income…?

1 hour ago, Marshall07 said:

Genuine question, did Rob truly believe the club would break even in his first year whilst also running an NDL team?

I don't think there's many teams that actually break even. Especially those that don't own their own stadiums.

As very few ,well established, promoters at clubs with long history’s say they break even , a new promoter running at a hired venue with not very friendly landlords ( reportedly ) and a budget team then breaking even would have been regarded as a major success.

I hope the club survives but if people are not taking up free entry then the writing is on the wall.

50 minutes ago, bigred said:

Could you give any reason why the club haven’t tried streaming live meetings,the Edinburgh and Glasgow meetings have been great to watch even,though not being a supporter of either team I’ve paid for the streams and enjoyed them.Surely for fans of visiting teams would add an extra income…?

Been discussed previously but the streaming set up costs are expensive and then the cost of each meeting after that means the returns aren't great and you can't guarentee the numbers...

However it has been looked into...

Regards 

THJ

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigred said:

Glasgow's stream costs them thousands a meeting to put on. Edinburgh's has been built over 3 years with an 8 man volunteer group.

Streaming is possible, we're very close to launching at Redcar, but its not as easy as just sticking a camera at the stadium

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Marshall07 said:

Streaming is possible, we're very close to launching at Redcar, but its not as easy as just sticking a camera at the stadium

Why not?,,, just get some guy to video it and talk at the same time (comemtate),,, and put it on the net. ;)

5 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

... and nobody pays and it loses a shedload of money. Top plan :t:

Well, it can't lose what it didn't have and might get folk interested in coming? :t:

The promotion have paid for the additional Facebook advertising again so if you see the ad; like it; forward it; share it; do the necessary to get the thing out there ... let people know who; what and where we are and what we are about...

Regards 

THJ

55 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Why not?,,, just get some guy to video it and talk at the same time (comemtate),,, and put it on the net. ;)

It's hard enough pointing the camera where you want to and making sure the picture is ok and getting what you want in that picture, without having to commentate at the same time, trust me.

2 minutes ago, StevePark said:

It's hard enough pointing the camera where you want to and making sure the picture is ok and getting what you want in that picture, without having to commentate at the same time, trust me.

Ben Dover seemed to manage it okay... (cough cough)

Regards 

THJ

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well, it can't lose what it didn't have and might get folk interested in coming? :t:

or encourage those already coming to stay at home, watch it for nowt and save £17 - at least until the speedway stops running and then they wonder why there's no free streaming for them.

Because something can be done doesn't mean it's an easy way to make money. Because it isn't being done doesn't mean nobody has thought of it. Probably that it has been considered, all the options properly costed and it would not only not make money but would likely add to the losses.

No-one would argue that Glasgow isn't a leader in the use of social media, streaming, advertising etc. Let's not forget that before Covid their owners warned that the six-figure annual losses incurred on the back of that could not and would not be sustainable. 

There is no quick, cheap fix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

or encourage those already coming to stay at home, watch it for nowt and save £17 - at least until the speedway stops running and then they wonder why there's no free streaming for them.

Because something can be done doesn't mean it's an easy way to make money. Because it isn't being done doesn't mean nobody has thought of it. Probably that it has been considered, all the options properly costed and it would not only not make money but would likely add to the losses.

No-one would argue that Glasgow isn't a leader in the use of social media, streaming, advertising etc. Let's not forget that before Covid their owners warned that the six-figure annual losses incurred on the back of that could not and would not be sustainable. 

There is no quick, cheap fix. 

Yes George, my original post was actually be meant as a joke.

2 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Yes George, my original post was actually be meant as a joke.

Don't give up the day job :)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

Don't give up the day job :)

A wasn't disagreeing with you, but a do hope you realise that you are dealing with humans.