British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

With only four meetings left, I can't see any rider signing for us, to be honest, but if we do sign someone they will be made welcome to the Diamonds cause.

Would be a positive thing if we did sign someone tbh, would make me think that Rob has 2022 in mind... Or else what would be the point

Diamonds Co-promoter Rob Grant would like to release the following statement.
"Following the completion of our remaining League fixtures, Newcastle Speedway will announce a date to complete the season with an 'End of Season Spectacular'.
This will be an individual meeting with invites to rider's that have worn the Diamonds colours over the years.
Unfortunately, this meeting will also mark the last match that myself and Dave Tattum will take the helm as Co-promoters.
After a very hard and stressful couple of years, and after sitting down and analysing the amount of time and resources the speedway has taken away from my core businesses, I have regrettably decided I need to conclude my time with the Diamonds in order to give my main businesses the full attention they need to survive.
I would like to wholeheartedly thank everyone connected to the club for their help and support, who without these people my short spell at Newcastle would have been an even harder experience.
As it currently stands, I'm setting the wheels in motion to see what will come of Newcastle Speedway in 2022, but at this moment in time all I can guarantee is the 3 remaining home fixtures.
The Diamonds are very much a big part of the speedway family and are the oldest running club still operating out of its original venue. Unfortunately, our crowd attendances have been well under par this season, but maybe with new management bringing new ideas and most importantly, the time this sport so vitally requires, that is something that can be increased.
The work is now on to try and get Newcastle to the tapes in 2022, but although I am very sad to say, this will be without myself and Dave Tattum.
Tickets are on sale for our last two league meetings against Edinburgh on the 12th September and Birmingham the week after on the 19th, both are 6.30pm starts.
We all sincerely hope you can all get along to see your Diamonds in action in what we hope isn't Newcastle's last hurrah."

This reminds me very much of 1984, when Ian Thomas lost money after his venture into the British League and ended his involvement with Newcastle.

Edited by scampispeedway

Well the parties over and we're calling it a day after 92 years...

RIP Newcastle Diamonds... big thanks to the hard core of fans who have followed the Diamonds through thick and thin... 

Regards 

THJ

• Sad 4

I sincerely hope Rob can find someone to take over the promotion. I enjoyed my trips to Brough Park, and even became a Diamond for a night, guesting for them in an inter league meeting in the late 70's. The club has so much history and would be a terible shame to loose another venue. Here's hoping!

Shame, he was cursed from the start, if anything was to go wrong for him it did, the previous promotions troubles probably didn’t help.

• Like 4

Let’s hope that our nearest rivals can find a saviour, 

What a sad day.

Nobody could have done more than Rob Grant has; he has had a thankless task which - as it appears - may not have been made easier by various authorities. 

So thank you again Rob; and at the end of the season we Brough Park faithful will join the supporters of the increasing number of ghost clubs.

It's a great pity but it seems that it's the sad reality. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Best wishes to our diamonds friends from up the road, hope some good news comes about and we see you at the tapes in 2022

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rob Grant has had a torrid time since taking over, and it shouldn't be forgotten the situation he found himself in soon after taking over, none of which was his fault. But the sad truth is if you prop up one failing business with another you invariably end up with two failing business, and I don`t think anyone would expect to put his own business at risk to keep Newcastle Speedway going. As for the future it does look very bleak right now, hopefully the BSPL will come up with the changes and league structure necessary that will make running speedway at Brough Park an attractive proposition. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Once 2 maybe 3 sides steeped in history jack it in surely the powers that be have to take a long hard look at themselves and the sport

• Like 2

It’s  looking like one big league next year , Rob Grant has had nothing but bad luck and he can hold his head high  

• Like 1