British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

that would of been when Bjarne and Bjerre were there , rememeber a meeting gettint fogged off after 10(?) heats with Wato and Smart unbeaten then we got well beaten in the rematch no doubt THJ or Tsunami will have more details. The management knew with Smart and Watson out in heats 13 and 15 they had no chance. 

Come on Pinny man, you couldn't see the back straight.

On the subject of weather-related call offs, at around the same time we were on holiday in the old country and tipped up at Somerton Park on a sunny and hot afternoon to see (as we thought) Newport take on Berwick. In fact the match had been called off the previous day because (if I recall) the track was waterlogged but no-one had told Michal Makovsky who was sitting outside the stadium by his van. Lovely fella, he tried (but failed) to get us to transfer our allegiance to the Bandits.

Happy days...

22 hours ago, M.D said:

Thoughts that was proposed at one point, do you think the BSPL would entertain  a fan owned club?

To be fair it doesn't matter where the money comes from you would.still only be allowed 3 promoters and one vote so what could the BSPL have to complain about... (cough cough)

Regards 

THJ 

On 9/2/2021 at 11:12 PM, Wee Eck said:

The cost of getting Redcar speedway from a brownfield site to being open for racing in 2006 (in a very basic stadium) was in excess of £250,000 which equates to nearly £400,000 now. On that basis, when you add in the cost of an air fence, if the existing one can’t be used (and something that wasn’t required in 2006) you are looking at £425,000 for a basic set up. 
The other end is a purpose built stadium like Belle Vue. It cost in excess of £9m.

I’m really not sure what you’d get for £150,000, but I doubt it would be anything like the proposed Newcastle set up 

On 9/3/2021 at 6:56 PM, Trackerman48 said:

Hi John out of interest I wondered what the cost of set up was at redcar. That's been built up over the years, and by all means is doing well. 

Wee eck had covered it on the previous page Terry... 250k in 2006 but to be fair I wouldn't call Redcar a basic set up... all the utilities on the site with a large permanent stand etc...

Regards 

THJ

Gypsies Green stadium in South Shields is unused and looks almost derelict to me. It has or had a velodrome in it so might be the right size? I don't know  who owns it - the Council?

Outside Newcastle but good access through the Tunnel, and catchment area includes Wearside.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Gypsies Green stadium in South Shields is unused and looks almost derelict to me. It has or had a velodrome in it so might be the right size? I don't know  who owns it - the Council?

Outside Newcastle but good access through the Tunnel, and catchment area includes Wearside.

South Tyneside Council own it.  Junior Football pitch in the middle of it now:

https://www.southtyneside.gov.uk/article/49716/Gypsies-Green-sport-pitch

38 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Wee eck had covered it on the previous page Terry... 250k in 2006 but to be fair I wouldn't call Redcar a basic set up... all the utilities on the site with a large permanent stand etc...

Regards 

THJ

There was no permanent stand at Redcar when it opened. The only solid construction was the pits area. Everything else was portakabins and a temporary stand. 
Although you might get away, temporarily, with a generator if you couldn’t afford to lay on a mains cable (though goodness knows how much that would cost to run, especially if you needed floodlights) any new track these days would need to have either water in and waste out or expensive portaloos. 
Although well intentioned - and, of course, now irrelevant - the thought that you could get anything set up for £150,000 seems unlikely. 
Anyone know how much the Duns training track cost to set up? That would be your base price before allowing for everything extra required for a professional track

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Never heard of the place before (I'm not really that local to Newcastle area) but that site looks like a great little site, by the sea, massive car park nearby, obviously A LOT of work would need to be done to the place, pits built, track constructed properly, some kind of stands, toilets other facilities etc... But the basic layout is there, I have no idea how big the track would be as I've just seen pictures online, hard to judge the size from pictures... Wonder how much money/how likely the council are to allow a potential promoter move in and rejuvenate the stadium? Could still keep the football pitch like Berwick... Why not? Ask the question someone!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Never heard of the place before (I'm not really that local to Newcastle area) but that site looks like a great little site, by the sea, massive car park nearby, obviously A LOT of work would need to be done to the place, pits built, track constructed properly, some kind of stands, toilets other facilities etc... But the basic layout is there, I have no idea how big the track would be as I've just seen pictures online, hard to judge the size from pictures... Wonder how much money/how likely the council are to allow a potential promoter move in and rejuvenate the stadium? Could still keep the football pitch like Berwick... Why not? Ask the question someone!!

Didn't Steve Cram train there so I'm assuming it's a 400 metre track sort of size. Loads of investment in South Shields in recent years.  I've been involved in some of the grant funded stuff and about to invest another £80m. South Shields is one of the most socially deprived area's in the country so the funding opportunities are there as it's easier to prove improved economic benefit in a deprived area. i.e. will it bring jobs directly at the stadium or indirectly in shops and hotels.

The council do want to attract more visitors, they put on free events in Bents Park for example. They want it to be a proper seaside resort  Would a speedway team attract the type of numbers who'd spend enough money to improve the local economy? Enough to offset against 'noise'? And floodlights might be an issue. I can't see permission being given for 7 days a week operation so it couldn't be used for training. If I recall there are some new housing developments and some expensive housing very close by (to the West not many to the East).  It's effectively the posh end of South Shields.  It really would be a cracking day out. Amusement Park, Beach, Fish & Chips or Ocean Road curry (both if you're THJ).  Despite being almost in the sea it's quite accessibly by road (tunnel) or train or even Ferry!! Although it's a bit of a walk from the river.

The council are supportive of the Mariners progressing up the football pyramid as it will attract more visitors from outside of the region.  On that basis having a sports team in a national competition is ideal.  An authority like South Tyneside is never going to attract top level sporting events (apart from GNR which it's lost in 2020 and 2021) so having a team in a national competition would appeal, especially one which has moved from a neighbouring authority.

Grants for Sporting facilities are outside of my remit but I think they tend to be linked to community based projects and are probably therefore smaller than the cost of building a speedway track and refurbishing a stadium.  You'd need a significant local contribution regardless.

Certainly worth investigating the possibility because it could be a really good solution.  But you need to be able to demonstrate how the area would benefit economically and what it would offer the community (reducing crime, improving skills etc).  

PS it's right where the Great North Run normally ends for those not familiar with the area.

Edited by enotian
  • Like 3

Sounds like someone needs to be having a little whisper in Grantys ear :D I dunno whether hed be interested or whether hes just totally sick now... but sounds like the south shields council would be prepared to help out a lot? Just need to basics of a speedway track built now... are there already toilets etc on the site?

Put it this way... I'm looking at a house in south shields... if the diamonds moves there, thered be no question at all I'd be moving there :D

Come on Granty, this is your breakthrough!!

All of these entertainments that Rob was saying hed put in place would surely prove popular for the council?

Edited by Diamonds85

I did some checking on the South Shields Gypsies Sports Pitch today and it has ample packing near by and is a short walk to the pitch which is in an open field so what do

you do about stopping people just watching speedway without paying.

The Pitch is 10 miles from Brough Park so this may involve driving through the Tyne Tunnel which has a toll to get to the site and if you have no car then this means getting

to a Metro station from anywhere in the Tyneside area to the South Shields Interchange and because Newcastle run on a Sunday, the only bus you can use is the E1 which

passes on the main road on its way to Sunderland and you then use the same method back to home as both run at a regular intervals that day.

Edited by scampispeedway
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:47 PM, Wee Eck said:

There was no permanent stand at Redcar when it opened. The only solid construction was the pits area. Everything else was portakabins and a temporary stand. 
Although you might get away, temporarily, with a generator if you couldn’t afford to lay on a mains cable (though goodness knows how much that would cost to run, especially if you needed floodlights) any new track these days would need to have either water in and waste out or expensive portaloos. 
Although well intentioned - and, of course, now irrelevant - the thought that you could get anything set up for £150,000 seems unlikely. 
Anyone know how much the Duns training track cost to set up? That would be your base price before allowing for everything extra required for a professional track

Honestly

Not sure what your background is but I am guessing you don't have much site experience

If a  pits area is constructed the same as Redcar it would be less than £10k in breeze block with a wriggly tin roof and for £30k Werneck Cabins could sell you a small village worth of refurbished cabins including Office; Food; Ablutions and Welfare; and a 200KVA generator to run said small village £10k for that and the red diesel to run a meeting less than 50Lts @ .50p per litre so £25:00 for the juice and who says the Hire Of Portable Mobile Toilets is expensive? you can hire them for £22 quid a week or buy your own for £375 quid. As for running in mains it depends where you are bringing it in from as we have just had a 3 phase supply connected into a shop on the West Road in Newcastle and it was £3.5k however I know of a site in Workington where they have been quoted £60k to move a supply approximately 20 metres so if its less than the cost of a generator you would do it and forget the Genny, then water and foul services can run from £1.8K to £30K depending on the length of the run and if you are on a brown field site you are standing on a massive soak-away so drainage shouldn't be a consideration. Site and track lighting could be installed for under £10k and mounted on bent scaffolding poles set in Postcrete. Everything is doable on a budget.

Duns has cost between £60 and £70k to date so as unlikely as you think £150k seems; rest assured; it could be done and how Professional do you want an oval dirt track to be as I never said it would be the next NSS it would be very basic however as stated it would be a starting point and it would be functional. Also I have no doubt like at Duns and Northside and when Derwent Park was finished off in the late 40's early 50's there would be an awful lot of support from various sources and volunteers would supplement on the less technical tasks. Plus food wagons can be towed to site and even Guinness have a chilled trailer that serves beer!!! Finally you are right it is all moot to be fair but again we are talking about putting this in somewhere near civilisation not Langton Lees, in Duns on the outskirts of nowhere (as good as that little venue is and could be another Redcar)

Where there is a will there is a way... if we had said in 1939 it was too hard and couldn't be done we would all be speaking German now!!!!

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Not sure what your background is but I am guessing you don't have much site experience

If a  pits area is constructed the same as Redcar it would be less than £10k in breeze block with a wriggly tin roof and for £30k Werneck Cabins could sell you a small village worth of refurbished cabins including Office; Food; Ablutions and Welfare; and a 200KVA generator to run said small village £10k for that and the red diesel to run a meeting less than 50Lts @ .50p per litre so £25:00 for the juice and who says the Hire Of Portable Mobile Toilets is expensive? you can hire them for £22 quid a week or buy your own for £375 quid. As for running in mains it depends where you are bringing it in from as we have just had a 3 phase supply connected into a shop on the West Road in Newcastle and it was £3.5k however I know of a site in Workington where they have been quoted £60k to move a supply approximately 20 metres so if its less than the cost of a generator you would do it and forget the Genny, then water and foul services can run from £1.8K to £30K depending on the length of the run and if you are on a brown field site you are standing on a massive soak-away so drainage shouldn't be a consideration. Site and track lighting could be installed for under £10k and mounted on bent scaffolding poles set in Postcrete. Everything is doable on a budget.

Duns has cost between £60 and £70k to date so as unlikely as you think £150k seems; rest assured; it could be done and how Professional do you want an oval dirt track to be as I never said it would be the next NSS it would be very basic however as stated it would be a starting point and it would be functional. Also I have no doubt like at Duns and Northside and when Derwent Park was finished off in the late 40's early 50's there would be an awful lot of support from various sources and volunteers would supplement on the less technical tasks. Plus food wagons can be towed to site and even Guinness have a chilled trailer that serves beer!!! Finally you are right it is all moot to be fair but again we are talking about putting this in somewhere near civilisation not Langton Lees, in Duns on the outskirts of nowhere (as good as that little venue is and could be another Redcar)

Where there is a will there is a way... if we had said in 1939 it was too hard and couldn't be done we would all be speaking German now!!!!

Regards
THJ

ganz ehrlich Jürgen hat gesprochen

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Regards
THJ

'Vot is your name'? ;)

40 minutes ago, M.D said:

ganz ehrlich Jürgen hat gesprochen

Dankeschön

Or as we say here in the North East "Donkeysh!te Mate"

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 1