British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

4 hours ago, screm said:

Co-Promoters Rob Grant and Dave Tattum will host their last home meeting on Sunday against Birmingham in what will most certainly be a very emotional night for all connected to Newcastle Speedway.
Rob would like to thank everyone at the club for their support of his endeavours to rescue Newcastle Speedway since his take over in 2019, however Sunday evening night could potentially spell the end of the Diamonds at Brough Park after a 92 year history.
Newcastle Speedway management would like to release the following statement,
"With the future of the Diamonds looking uncertain due to the potential of a takeover remaining unlikely, alongside added uncertainty from the stadium and the stadium landlords, we ask that you please follow us in enjoying what unfortunately could be the last meeting to take place at Newcastle's Brough Park.
The club has suffered significant losses this year and everyone at Newcastle firmly believes Rob Grant has done remarkably well just to get us to the end of the season, as the truth is we could of folded much earlier in the season.
It certainly has not been an easy decision for Rob to make. However, after a meeting with management this morning, following yesterday evenings Championship meeting with Edinburgh, which unfortunately once again failed to attract crowd numbers large enough to sustain the financial pressures of running a speedway club, it is a decision that he regrettably has had no choice but to make.
Regarding last nights tannoy announcement that there would be an individual meeting to mark the closure of the season, it has been decided this morning that due to the financial strain the club is under, this can no longer go ahead and the final meeting at Newcastle will be this Sundays championship fixture against Birmingham."
Rob himself would like to add on this closing statement,
"I am deeply sorry and disappointed for our dedicated sponsors, riders and most importantly our ever loyal band of supporters. I wish you all the very best for the future and I sincerely hope that a rescue package comes to light for the Diamonds and everyone connected to Newcastle Speedway, however, at this moment in time I can say that there is no one waiting to take it over.
I understand that this will be an emotional and difficult fixture to attend but if you can, please come along and support the Diamonds for the final meeting against Birmingham this Sunday, 19th September at 6.30pm."

One questions as to why there is NO mention of this on the official Newcastle Speedway website!

And so it goes, one by one, slowly but inexorably the sport we love fades into oblivion.

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Another club joins the long list of clubs that have shutdown.

We haven't shutdown (yet?).

• Like 1

Tell you what, everybody. 

We may have months and years to rue closure. But let's start only when the season is actually over and  as and when we may find there won't be a takeover. Me, I'm looking forward to Sunday and hopefully the chance to say thank you to young Mr. Grant.

After that? Who knows, but let's wait and see what happens. 

I'm not giving this up yet.

Edited by Terrace Grumbler
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Hopefully a saviour can be found but it less than 500 people is the limit of speedway enthusiasm in Newcastle can understand the decision

Nail.

16 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

OZ you mean

He did manage to sell the "Transporter Bridge" to the Native Americans.

38 minutes ago, Gringo said:

He did manage to sell the "Transporter Bridge" to the Native Americans.

So could he save the diamonds tho that's the question