British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

1 hour ago, scampispeedway said:

For information Sunderland Greyhound Stadium is owned by the same company as Brough Park (ARC) so if they did allow speedway to return, they no doubt

would charge the same sort of rental as Brough Park.

For the historians Sunderland ran for a short while in 1964 and we got Ken Sharples when they closed which allowed us to win the Provincial League and when

Newcastle closed in 1970 because the British League Licence was transferred to Reading who were getting larger crowds and the Stadium Manager at Brough

Park said it had to be British League or nothing and so ended another era.

The Berwick Promoter Mrs Taylor jumped in at Sunderland and I remember going once to see the Sunderland vs Rayleigh match in 1971 which the away team

won, my main objection for not returning was the cost of entry which in old money was 8 shillings and sixpence as against 6 shillings and sixpence, the previous

year.

They ran from 1971-1974 and then Ian Thomas won the battle to stage Speedway at Newcastle which had become available and under his promotion ran for

several years with great success until the decision to go up to the British League in 1984 which cost him loads of money and we closed again  

George Graham was Ian's co-promoter at the start of 1975 season.  George had been promoter at Barrow, which is how we got Tom and Joe to ride at Brough.

Would there be much interest in putting together a package of support from the fans? Would there be any value in a meeting upstairs in the bar after the Birmingham meeting... are there enough like-minded people who have funds to invest in a lost cause to try and save the Diamonds?

Something along the lines of a Debenture say.... however unlike a Debenture there are very limited assets to repay the loan... people would have to loan the money on the understanding that if the new venture is unsuccessful the money is lost and there may (probably) be the need to top up this Debenture on a regular basis...

However this would be on the premise that we leave for our own home ASAP and a share issue is made against loans?

Is it worth a try or do we just roll over and pray to the Gods that someone comes in on an off chance...

Any thoughts or interest from other like-minded companies or individuals?...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Would there be much interest in putting together a package of support from the fans? Would there be any value in a meeting upstairs in the bar after the Birmingham meeting... are there enough like-minded people who have funds to invest in a lost cause to try and save the Diamonds?

Something along the lines of a Debenture say.... however unlike a Debenture there are very limited assets to repay the loan... people would have to loan the money on the understanding that if the new venture is unsuccessful the money is lost and there may (probably) be the need to top up this Debenture on a regular basis...

However this would be on the premise that we leave for our own home ASAP and a share issue is made against loans?

Is it worth a try or do we just roll over and pray to the Gods that someone comes in on an off chance...

Regards 

THJ

In a word, yes.

TG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ

Or form a Limited Company with a large share issue? Fans can then buy shares with spare cash whenever they want, on the understanding that the shares have little value and the chance of a return is minute. In other words they are effectively making a donation to the club. You may think it sounds crazy, where will you get people with money to throw away, but i've seen a few sports clubs funded this way. 

• Like 2

Could you get 250 people/companies paying £25 a week/£100 a month by DD for 100 shares per month. ?

That's £25k a month coming in if you could. 

Maybe offering "Free" admission for that "investment" to each fan. 

And "Free" advertising for the companies around the stadium .

Surely 250 people in a conurbation the size of Newcastle could be found who would like the sport to continue and could stump up £25 a week?

Might need local media involvement and a certain Premier League Football Club may be able to help get the message out/put their hands in their pockets. 

Nothing ventured, etc etc  

NB. Maybe get Nicki P contacted to do some media work around the closure, someone must have a contact for him. 

He might also be the first to stump up some cash, given the push the Diamonds gave his career; and start the ball rolling. ..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6

I know I'll get shot down for this but IMO Newcastle speedway is a dead donkey. Mr Grant has done a great job and must be applauded for the job he has done considering how he was screwed over by the last promotion. But the track at Brough Park has always been small and technical and I have to say not great for flat out racing. I do apologise but I have never witnessed a brilliant meeting at Brough. The stadium is a relic of the past. Times change and unfortunately Brough Park hasn't.   

• Haha 1

Well all I'm going to say before I get me head down for another 16 hour shift tomorrow.. is that the previous promotion should ( hopefully ) be brought to justice for f@@king rob grant junior over & all there hangers ons ( & yes yous know who yous are )  let's hope the VAT men take them all the way to the cleaners & hopefully a  few days months or even years in the big house is just what they deserve as they have took the p@ss  out of the supporters for years at Newcastle speedway judging by what has gone on before our new owners took it on

Edited by Justgotmecpc
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I know I'll get shot down for this but IMO Newcastle speedway is a dead donkey. Mr Grant has done a great job and must be applauded for the job he has done considering how he was screwed over by the last promotion. But the track at Brough Park has always been small and technical and I have to say not great for flat out racing. I do apologise but I have never witnessed a brilliant meeting at Brough. The stadium is a relic of the past. Times change and unfortunately Brough Park hasn't.   

Sadly, I have to agree with you. Brough park, is a relic of a bygone era and not suitable for exciting racing (modern day style). If speedway in Newcastle, is to flourish again. It has to be away from Brough. Anything else is sticking a plaster over a major injury and ultimately doomed to failure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Could you get 250 people/companies paying £25 a week/£100 a month by DD for 100 shares per month. ?

Surely 250 people in a conurbation the size of Newcastle could be found who would like the sport to continue and could stump up £25 a week?

Might need local media involvement and a certain Premier League Football Club may be able to help get the message out/put their hands in their pockets. 

NB. Maybe get Nicki P contacted to do some media work around the closure, someone must have a contact for him. 

He might also be the first to stump up some cash, given the push the Diamonds gave his career; and start the ball rolling. ..

This sounds like a good idea.. I couldn’t afford the other option but I think people would probably get involved this way and surely even 500-1000 people would pay a lesser amount per week/month to keep Newcastle speedway open. 

The go fund me page showed how much people were willing to help Newcastle speedway and think it’s a great idea if enough interested people. 
We have to try something as can’t let speedway die in Newcastle.. 

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 2

I would be willing to pay up to £1000 as one upfront cost (not much I know, but as much as I could afford) and maybe £100 (maybe even more if I can persuade family members and friends to support too) a month from there on. If something like what THJ has suggested can be put in place... i dont have a business to promote or anything really, just want to see my club survive. I have some speedway spares and memorabilia I would happily donate to some kind of fund raising event to help save the club on the premise that we definitely operate in 2022... maybe a pre season event after we name our team?

Hopefully with view of the long term moving to our own track for 2023? The support is there from a handful of fans, and if we can muster up enough budget to put a decent team together, the paying numbers will come from there... I just hope we can find a figurehead to put all of this together, as I have zero knowledge (or time) in business and I am too young to have any experience in the field...

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

i like the £25.00 a week idea Good idea , but would that be keeping rob on board or finding a new promoter ?? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ

Good idea mate, probably won't be able to make the bar, (will be busy),,, but as mentioned the the 'GoFundMe' raised good money. Wouldn't be able to stump up much, but if there was 100 of me we might get somewhere. Al be good for the cash (ask Rob). Keep us in the loop and I will work on some of the guys, which might be persuaded to put a little bit in, av managed it before.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, diamonds7 said:

i like the £25.00 a week idea Good idea , but would that be keeping rob on board or finding a new promoter ?? 

I think you would need Rob on board and give him the security of guaranteed income, but dont know obviously how his Company is set up to be able to do a share scheme...

March to October would be 8 months of payments, £800 in total, (or do it over 10 months at £80 a month), like the Council Tax)...

250 putting £20 a week over 8 months would generate £200k..

(Less than two packets of fags).;)

If it makes money (I laugh), then each get a dividend...

Basically you would be buying "free admission" but these 250 could get access to the VIP suite, with each getting at least two matches in there, free programmes each week, free car parking etc.

And maybe give them a free ticket each week to invite their partner, and up to five tickets a match to sell at a tenner to their family and friends? People who wouldnt ordinarily be there.. 

Ambassadors for the club if you like..

Another 400 a week paying "£x" to get in might then be enough if you are starting with a £200k guarantee, and the price to get in could come down if the guarantee covers enough of the costs..

Pipe dream I am sure but maybe worth at least a coat of looking at..

• Like 5

All good ideas being mentioned.. this maybe also need to be posted on Facebook at some point when further forward and can be put forward to supporters club.

Hopefully Rob would stay on board as he deserves another crack at it and with a bit of assistance from the fans hopefully we could stay open and have a decent season. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I think you would need Rob on board and give him the security of guaranteed income, but dont know obviously how his Company is set up to be able to do a share scheme...

March to October would be 8 months of payments, £800 in total, (or do it over 10 months at £80 a month), like the Council Tax)...

250 putting £20 a week over 8 months would generate £200k..

(Less than two packets of fags).;)

If it makes money (I laugh), then each get a dividend...

Basically you would be buying "free admission" but these 250 could get access to the VIP suite, with each getting at least two matches in there, free programmes each week, free car parking etc.

And maybe give them a free ticket each week to invite their partner, and up to five tickets a match to sell at a tenner to their family and friends? People who wouldnt ordinarily be there.. 

Ambassadors for the club if you like..

Another 400 a week paying "£x" to get in might then be enough if you are starting with a £200k guarantee, and the price to get in could come down if the guarantee covers enough of the costs..

Pipe dream I am sure but maybe worth at least a coat of looking at..

How would it be possible to give away entry, VIP, programme etc for £20 a week! It's literally £20 for entry and a programme...