British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

18 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It does need pointing out it is not solely the finance situation that has Rob fed up... its the whole thing he inherited; it was the rules and regulations he had to be tied into amongst many other things and the final straw I believe was the attempt to poach his only recognised heat leader just before the cut off date for changes... it does take a great deal of time and effort to run a Speedway team for not much recognition or any recompense and to be fair Rob never went into this for the plaudits but he has my full admiration for the effort he has put in this year because it has been one long hard slog but he got to the end of the season... not sure if it was good luck or by good management however he seen the year out without folding...

Regards

THJ

Hopefully a good turn out for Birmingham meeting and many can say goodbye to a place, that for a lot of folk is a big part of they're lives.

As for next season, if there is someone out there to take the work load on and give it a go, great, but without a concrete plan to move on to a new home, I think it's just gonna be the same. Not enough folk want it, so it has to incur less costs. 

However, if it does roll on, al be there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Made a profit including the 10k fans raised so a 5k loss really? Either way I thought it might of been a lot worse due to low crowds.

Good job we didn’t have a team hitting 60 points per match. 

Forget the 10k add/remove the 40k back in what the liquidators took as well Gaz...

Yep a successful team would have really knackered the job... aka Worky...

Regards 

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy
  • Like 2

A 'Fans owned club' had been looked at with Eastbourne, it's not just the running costs to take into account but the start up costs.

The BSPL bond + rider asset bond required. 

Rider signing on fees, insurance, does the air fence require upgrading/replacing?

All this takes up most if not more of season ticket sales before you start and thats an income you don't get through the gate all year as this has been paid up front. So out of the 500 gate maybe 100/120 have paid in full via a season ticket so you have a gate of really only 380 paying each week to keep cash flow running in a healthy state..

Edited by M.D

3 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Hopefully a good turn out for Birmingham meeting and many can say goodbye to a place, that for a lot of folk is a big part of they're lives.

As for next season, if there is someone out there to take the work load on and give it a go, great, but without a concrete plan to move on to a new home, I think it's just gonna be the same. Not enough folk want it, so it has to incur less costs. 

However, if it does roll on, al be there.

Maybe a former Peterborough promoter with Redcar connections ? He would probably take us if he did rescue it in time up into the prem... Just saying or maybe dreaming

1 minute ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Maybe a former Peterborough promoter with Redcar connections ? He would probably take us if he did rescue it in time up into the prem... Just saying or maybe dreaming

He probably wouldn't get a license off the BSPL.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Someone with a bigger heart than brain would help,,, does the heart rule the brain, or vice versa?,,,, 

Edited by ruffdiamond

47 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Someone with a bigger heart than brain would help,,, does the heart rule the brain, or vice versa?,,,, 

I was always told a man with a hard dick had no conscience is that the same?...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

I was always told a man with a hard dick had no conscience is that the same?...

Dunno, but maybe that's a 'Dick Head'?,,, a love all them folklore story's about trains, ladders and black cats and stuff.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

He probably wouldn't get a license off the BSPL.

If the coin is waved the license will be giving 

3 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Is this the same promoter who was involved with is before? Or is there another former peterborough promoter who has redcar ties?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ch958 said:

wonder if the people of Tyneside would turn out for NL racing to the tune of 4/500 people. 

I think that the track is actually better suited to slower racing. As has been stated earlier the modern bikes haven't improved the entertainment at Brough. However, the NL as it stands wouldn't be viable for a stand alone track.

If the CL was more sensibly structured so that teams were made up of predominantly British based riders Newcastle might stand a chance of fielding a competitive team. As it stands operating on a Sunday rules out a whole host of riders who fancy themselves as being international class riders but still want to ride in two British leagues, just not on a Sunday.

If teams were allowed one experienced rider (so the likes of Wethers, Wright and Roynon would be No.1 riders) one foreign U24(?) rider (mostly UK based Aussies, Americans etc) plus/or any UK U24(?) who've previously averaged over 8 in the NL or 5 or the CL (i.e. Clegg, Mountain, Flint, Kemp Palin etc) to make up the heat leader trio.  Two young British reserves (who average less than 4.00 in the CL and have less than 30(?) NL meetings, i.e. lads progressing from the NL or BYC, Freeman, Smith, Embleton, McGurks, Hagon) with the two 2nd strings filled by anyone who isn't classed as a heat leader or reserve (i.e. Danny Phillips types). Allowing only the U24 UK riders to double up in the PL. That should allow teams all CL teams to field affordable competitive teams.

Maybe the likes of Poole, Leicester and Glasgow would move up to improve the PL but with a more affordable team structure in the CL perhaps Eastbourne could return, Mildenhall and IOW might step up, Oxford return, Birmingham also survive.

I think with a competitive team at that sort of level big enough crowds could be attracted to cover the costs. I don't think you can under estimate how important a competitive team is at Newcastle. More so than the level of racing.

If a team sponsor could be found how much would been needed to keep the club afloat?  Are we talking tens of thousands or under £10k??  Does anyone know?  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Wtf you on about, Ruff?

Think he's on about those little superstitions folk have like from European folklore claiming that a black cat crossing one’s path by moonlight signifies death and don't walk under a ladder or you will court misfortune then the most famous one of all don't stand in front of the London to Edinburgh LNER express teatime special when it is doing 125 mile an hour...

Regards

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling

So… If Rob didn’t make a loss on speedway terms, fair enough we didn’t have the strongest team.. 

Promoters and interested parties it’s time to apply now :t:(please form a queue).