British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

... pity our No 1 was missing...

To be fair ours (Brummies) was as good as missing too........

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

To be fair ours (Brummies) was as good as missing too........

Eh??? I take it you weren't there then...? :blink:

Honestly

Just got home after an emotional evening and to be fair it is going to be very hard to save this thing and after the discussion I have had with Rob tonight it isnt good news...

There is a lot of genuine interest and good will from the people I have spoken to tonight prior to my chat with Rob and to follow the name above and be totally honest we are looking at very large start up costs with a big injection of cash required to save the club and with the best will in the world I now feel it is beyond most mortal folk to save...

There will be further meetings both with interested parties and the fans I have chatted to tonight but I must add it's not looking good for a.fan based bail out...

We need someone to come in and take over the spot outright...

However I will endeavour to keep folk updated as to what I hear or if we progress things... but lke I have said it isn't looking good to say the least...

Sorry for the less than positive news...

Regards

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Just got home after an emotional evening and to be fair it is going to be very hard to save this thing and after the discussion I have had with Rob tonight it isnt good news...

There is a lot of genuine interest and good will from the people I have spoken to tonight prior to my chat with Rob and to follow the name above and be totally honest we are looking at very large start up costs with a big injection of cash required to save the club and with the best will in the world I now feel it is beyond most mortal folk to save...

There will be further meetings both with interested parties and the fans I have chatted to tonight but I must add it's not looking good for a.fan based bail out...

However I will endeavour to keep folk updated as to what I hear or if we progress things... but lke I have said it isn't looking good to say the least...

Regards

THJ

Give it a bit time for the dust to settle,,,  a wouldn't have expected any good news so soon. Thanked Rob for being part of the team, will miss it and especially the banter with the lads and Rob sr. A did manage to get 2 things done that av been wanting to do tonight. Great memories. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Regards

THJ

So the positive news was people interested in getting together to buy the club? 
Just curious what are the start up costs? 

What an emotional night last night and after spending a huge part of my life involved with the club it is really hard to consider a future without the Diamonds.

If last night was the final curtain on our 92 year history then it was a fitting send off and hats off to Rob for bringing it all together. The crowd was huge, extra attractions, good presentation and the team almost pulled off a stunning home performance to top it off.

I have said for some time that I believe there is a place for speedway in Newcastle and for it to be a success and last night show a glimpse of the possibilities open should the club be saved.

It’s been a tough season and credit to Rob and his team for getting us through to the end in one piece when we could so easily have went the way of Eastbourne.

8 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Regards

THJ

Unfortunately I totally agree John. The figure that has been placed on the club, is in my view, unrealistic for a club that has virtually no assets and has a uncertainty surrounding its home venue. That outlay to buy the club is just for starters and the package needed to get up and running is eye watering. I pray that an opportunity arises where those interested can negotiate on the price and get to a level which will entice them to give it a go at Newcastle but at this point I can not see a way in which a buy out could be undertaken, unless a hugely wealthy individual is found.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

So the positive news was people interested in getting together to buy the club? 
Just curious what are the start up costs? 

Kiss your life savings goodbye . Still interested ?

52 minutes ago, jenga said:

Kiss your life savings goodbye . Still interested ?

Just curious and how many fans would be willing to get involved, probably nowhere near enough but until know figures wouldn’t find out.

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Viper said:

What an emotional night last night and after spending a huge part of my life involved with the club it is really hard to consider a future without the Diamonds.

If last night was the final curtain on our 92 year history then it was a fitting send off and hats off to Rob for bringing it all together. The crowd was huge, extra attractions, good presentation and the team almost pulled off a stunning home performance to top it off.

I have said for some time that I believe there is a place for speedway in Newcastle and for it to be a success and last night show a glimpse of the possibilities open should the club be saved.

It’s been a tough season and credit to Rob and his team for getting us through to the end in one piece when we could so easily have went the way of Eastbourne.

Unfortunately I totally agree John. The figure that has been placed on the club is unrealistic for a club that has virtually no assets and has a uncertainty surround its home venue. That outlay to buy the club is just for starters and the package needed to get up and running is eye watering. I pray common sense prevails and the price is brought down to a level which will entice those interested to give it a go at Newcastle but at this point I can not see a way in which a buy out could be undertaken, unless a hugely wealthy individual is found.

Who has placed that figure on the club? The BSPA? 

How can it be so expensive? The  accounts can't show any profit, what assets is there apart from air fence, tractors etc. How can you sell a loss making business with large overheads for top money? 

Edited by pablo133
  • Like 1

Being an ardent Worky fan for many years my heart goes out to Rob Grant, John Courtenay , and all the genuine Diamonds supporters faced with losing their beloved club.

It seems like Rob has done all he can but has just been overwhelmed with the eye watering running costs involved in a sport watched by so relatively few people. 

Best wishes to you all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The start up should not be too high. The current club is worthless and if the current promoter doesn’t come to tapes next season the BSPA should/will revoke the licence and give it to a new promotion. It would then be up to the new promotion to do a deal with the stadium over rental fees. The current promotion must realise for anyone to come in to revive the club, they can’t stand in the way and try to block. Better for a new promotion to avoid the current one almost completely and deal direct with the bspa and stadium landlords.

Yes, an airfence would need to be purchased, as well as track equipment. And the BSPA bond would need to be paid. But you don’t buy the club from the previous promotion. It’s worthless. Start up a new speedway club. “Newcastle Saphires”. It can be done under a consortium of fans willing to put in, say £10,000 each. Or less if more fans. 

Fresh blood. Fresh ideas. I went to Newcastle for the first time this year and to be brutally honest it lacked sporting intensity. Going through the motions is a good phrase. I don’t know the current promotion and I am sure they meant well and wanted success. But preaching to the already converted and dwindling crowd through covid and failure on track with a weak team is nearly always doomed to failure. 

So many people live in the area it seems almost incredible they can’t get more through the gate with a decent team. Like a team on the south coast who struggled then failed this year, there are good rumblings coming out and I hope the same can be said of Newcastle.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The start up should not be too high. The current club is worthless and if the current promoter doesn’t come to tapes next season the BSPA should/will revoke the licence and give it to a new promotion. It would then be up to the new promotion to do a deal with the stadium over rental fees. The current promotion must realise for anyone to come in to revive the club, they can’t stand in the way and try to block. Better for a new promotion to avoid the current one almost completely and deal direct with the bspa and stadium landlords.

Yes, an airfence would need to be purchased, as well as track equipment. And the BSPA bond would need to be paid. But you don’t buy the club from the previous promotion. It’s worthless. Start up a new speedway club. “Newcastle Saphires”. It can be done under a consortium of fans willing to put in, say £10,000 each. Or less if more fans. 

Fresh blood. Fresh ideas. I went to Newcastle for the first time this year and to be brutally honest it lacked sporting intensity. Going through the motions is a good phrase. I don’t know the current promotion and I am sure they meant well and wanted success. But preaching to the already converted and dwindling crowd through covid and failure on track with a weak team is nearly always doomed to failure. 

So many people live in the area it seems almost incredible they can’t get more through the gate with a decent team. Like a team on the south coast who struggled then failed this year, there are good rumblings coming out and I hope the same can be said of Newcastle.

Just an air fence and BSPL bonds will set you back £50K if there are no rider assets

Edited by M.D
Poor spelling
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, M.D said:

Just an air fence and BSPL bonds will set you back £50K if there are no rider assets

So just £25-30 from everyone who turned up last night.. they loved the club that much to turn up to the finale, surely they will contribute :unsure:

Edited by Gaz