British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

I would love to see something like this, now that I've gotten over the rose tinted view of the end of last season, can't see Adam, Connor (or Max tbh) being back unfortunately, so they need to be replaced by good options. Assuming Matty Wethers is retiring then:

1. Danny King - Big out and out number 1 who knows and rides the track well

2. Max Clegg - Brilliant number 2, especially at home, hope he improves on some of the bigger away tracks

3. James Wright - Experienced number 3, can hold that position in a good team imo

4. Paul Starke - 110% trier and rode brilliantly for us when guesting last season, rides Brough very well too

5. Richie Worrall - Solid performer, one of the better number 5s in the league, also knows the track very well

6. Jack Thomas - Seems to have came on a lot last season and will be one of the stronger rising stars

7. Archie Freeman - Local hero and was getting closer to the pace each meeting last season, no pressure on him in this team

I have built this team with 2 rising stars at reserve and the 1-5 to a limit of 35, just a guess at what may or may not happen, but I love the look of that team, solid all the way through, all British and all lads who give their all on track.

The only one I would swap out would be Richie, leaving 8.69 to play with at a 35 point limit, so take your pick from any of the heat leaders last season (Charles Wright, Josh Pickering, Kyle Howarth, Chris Harris)

Hope we put a competitive team out...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I would love to see something like this, now that I've gotten over the rose tinted view of the end of last season, can't see Adam, Connor (or Max tbh) being back unfortunately, so they need to be replaced by good options. Assuming Matty Wethers is retiring then:

1. Danny King - Big out and out number 1 who knows and rides the track well

2. Max Clegg - Brilliant number 2, especially at home, hope he improves on some of the bigger away tracks

3. James Wright - Experienced number 3, can hold that position in a good team imo

4. Paul Starke - 110% trier and rode brilliantly for us when guesting last season, rides Brough very well too

5. Richie Worrall - Solid performer, one of the better number 5s in the league, also knows the track very well

6. Jack Thomas - Seems to have came on a lot last season and will be one of the stronger rising stars

7. Archie Freeman - Local hero and was getting closer to the pace each meeting last season, no pressure on him in this team

I have built this team with 2 rising stars at reserve and the 1-5 to a limit of 35, just a guess at what may or may not happen, but I love the look of that team, solid all the way through, all British and all lads who give their all on track.

The only one I would swap out would be Richie, leaving 8.69 to play with at a 35 point limit, so take your pick from any of the heat leaders last season (Charles Wright, Josh Pickering, Kyle Howarth, Chris Harri get Eric Riss in at 1 that looks a very decent side  

Josh Pickering please.

I’d pay good money watch that lad go round on his own.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Josh Pickering please.

Would be great but I reckon he'll probably get a ride in Poland next season in the 1st Division 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Josh Pickering please.

A think you would need a sheik friend to prise him away from Edinburgh,,, but if the lad wants to better his career? ;)

Anyway, best of luck to the new look Diamonds promotion. :t:

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Josh Pickering please.

I love watching Josh Pickering and Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen was the same also, only on a 6.34 average too, if we can prise him away from Berwick :D

There's 2 riders I'd pay to watch on their own... Josh Pickering and Nico Covatti... Hope we see the latter back in British speedway next season :)

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 5:41 PM, Falcon1983 said:

How about this for a side

1. Steve Worrall 
2. James Wright
3. Simon Lambert 
4. Kasper Andersen 
5. Richie Worral 
6. Danny Phillips R/S
7. Archie Freeman R/S

Don't, by virtue of finishing last, the Diamonds get first pick of the Rising Stars in 2022? So Leon Flint at #6 must be nailed on.....      ....is that the sound of goal posts being moved??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, enotian said:

Don't, by virtue of finishing last, the Diamonds get first pick of the Rising Stars in 2022? So Leon Flint at #6 must be nailed on.....      ....is that the sound of goal posts being moved??

Lambert ?

On 10/8/2021 at 11:30 PM, Justgotmecpc said:

Lambert ?

Robert

Simon 

or

& Butler?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Max Clegg back. Good news but probably enough of the 2021 team returning for me.

Max and Roy back in 2022:

Taken off Facebook:

Max Clegg returns for 2022, as does local centre-green mic-man Roy Clarke photos: Steve Brock Photography

The Newcastle Diamonds have added a second returnee from this 2021 season to their 2022 roster in the shape of 24-year-old, from Brighouse, West Yorkshire-born Max Clegg, a rider who originally joined the Brough Park club in 2019, instantly becoming a firm fans' favourite with a series of excellent rides on Byker shale.

Club owner Rob Grant said: "Max was a pretty easy choice to ask back for another season with us, as he's a real tryer who will always give us his best on track to take every point he can, and you can see that effort every race. His last meeting for us back in September saw him tally a paid 15 points' total from his six rides proving he knows our track well and produce the goods.

"Again, Max has been a pleasure to deal with and was equally as keen as we were to have him, to come back for us, and that's the sort of loyalty which should translate in to points once the new season gets going next Spring.

"With Max joining James Wright for 2022, it gives us a great base to build a team upon which will be competitive in next season's competitions, and as always give the supporters some thrilling racing to watch.

"One other person coming back to Newcastle in 2022 will be our centre green presenter, Roy Clarke who will be resuming his roving on the radio microphone after talks between myself and Roy were successful. He did an amazing job out our last meeting of the year and it will be good to have him back as he certainly helped create a much better atmosphere, which is all part of a great night out at the speedway!"

Roy himself then added: "I'm really looking forward to coming back to the presentation at Newcastle next year, especially after the reception I got from the fans, and the promotion at the last meeting. Roll on 2022!"

Max Clegg Career history: (b: 11 April 1997, Brighouse, West Yorkshire) started racing grass track at the age of seven before moving onto speedway when he was a teenager and was local club Sheffield’s mascot. He rode in the British U-15 500cc Championship in 2011 finishing second and made his National League début for Scunthorpe in 2012.

In 2013 he made his Premier League début for the Sheffield Tigers in the last meeting of the season, and in 2014 he made his Elite League début aged just 16 vs. Wolverhampton, signing for Cradley for 2015 as their number One and captain. In 2016 he won the British U-19 Championship and the National League Riders Championship. He has consistently been a shining star in the Diamonds line up in 2019 and 2021, frequently in double figures.

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Max Clegg back. Good news but probably enough of the 2021 team returning for me.

2 big hitters required next 

• Like 1

Over the moon :D wasn't convinced he'd want to be back tbh

James and max will do as the second strings for sure... need to see what the average limit is now and then we can focus on some proper heat leaders :t: