British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

3 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Any Newcastle fans wanting to support our rising star Archie Freeman he's riding for armadale next Sunday at Leicester & if I get enough interest I'll run a bus.. & don't be shy give malas tours a try all proceeds go to Newcastle speedway..

Have ya just let slip our third signing of 2022? ;)

7 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Have ya just let slip our third signing of 2022? ;)

Never heard of a 3rd signing or any others as yet 

Copied and pasted off Facebook:

Newcastle Diamonds brewing a storm for 2022 with the return of Matthew “Stormy” Wethers

One of the most popular riders to don the Black and White of the Newcastle Diamonds, Matty Wethers, is coming back for 2022 and has said he will be back at full fitness come Springtime’s season-opening.

New Newcastle Speedway co-promoter, Dave Tinning, said: “Matty Wethers has been a popular rider up here since he first rode for us in 2018, and it was a massive blow last year when he injured his arm so badly early on, but he was desperately keen to return, and his healing has been slow but progressive. His movement has largely returned to his arm now, so he’s totally sure he’ll be fully fit and raring to go when the club reopens next season.

“Matty is the perfect rider to join our first two signings, skipper James Wright and Max Clegg, making a trio of riders who will push for points from the gate to the flag of every race they’re in, which is why all three are crowd-favourites who will be welcomed back with open arms by the fans.

“This is a great start to the team building for 2022, and once we’re done I think people will be very satisfied with who we’re bringing to the tapes.”

The Diamonds' management were also happy to reveal that, in bringing back James Wright, he is now a full Newcastle Speedway asset, which is a fine boost for the club in general.

Matthew Wethers (b: 30 May 1985, Adelaide, South Australia) first rode at the age of 12 on 125cc machines at the famous Aussie Sidewinders club. He made his British début in 2003 with Edinburgh, then joined Glasgow in 2005 before returning to Edinburgh.

Wethers settled at Berwick where he was taken to the Border hearts, joining Workington in 2015, then returning to Berwick in 2016, but had an enforced year out in 2017 before joined Newcastle in 2018 and is now back for his fourth season on a track he knows well (excluding the non-existent 2020), and indeed excels, having scored a paid 21-point maximum with Edinburgh in one of the most masterful inside-line performances at the Byker track in its entire 93 year history.

His major honour is his South Australian State Under-16 Championship gold medal of 2001, while his club honours include League Championship wins in 2003, 2008, and 2010 [all Edinburgh] and a Premier Trophy win in 2008 [Edinburgh] as well as Play-Off wins is 2008, and 2009 [again with Edinburgh].

• Like 1

Well that’s the second strings sorted (at least I hope they’re the second strings!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, andys said:

Matty wethers coming back next season just announced on twitter 

Surprised, but happy with that. :t:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Well that’s the second strings sorted (at least I hope they’re the second strings!)

I think it'll be more like our 2, 3 and 4 sorted... Matty is NOT a second string... I am DELIGHTED :D he is back... Didn't think we'd see him back on a bike ever again tbh... I dunno why, I just got that feeling... I didn't realise his injury was as bad as it was...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

I think it'll be more like our 2, 3 and 4 sorted... Matty is NOT a second string... I am DELIGHTED :D he is back... Didn't think we'd see him back on a bike ever again tbh... I dunno why, I just got that feeling... I didn't realise his injury was as bad as it was...

It was a bad accident to see. Spun around coming out of the second bend and slammed heavily into the fence. Medics with him for quite a while and it was obvious he would have serious injuries. 

Will never forget the night he crashed at Berwick on tv against Edinburgh. The whole stadium went deadly silent. Great team man and a good guy. Would have him back at Berwick in a heartbeat. One of the riders I always want to see do well. Must be made of rubber (or steel) to keep coming back from the injuries he has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Will never forget the night he crashed at Berwick on tv against Edinburgh. The whole stadium went deadly silent. Great team man and a good guy. Would have him back at Berwick in a heartbeat. One of the riders I always want to see do well. Must be made of rubber (or steel) to keep coming back from the injuries he has.

2. Max Clegg

3. James Wright

4. Matthew Wethers

7. Archie Freeman

Fill in the gaps.

I hope that's it for this years team though, unless we can get Connor or Adam at number 6 or 2 and Max/James at 6 (Don't remember the averages off the top of my head). I'd love to see two big hitters and a solid, experienced reserve to round that team off and I'll be very satisfied. I hope they keep Matty at number 4 to strengthen heat 14, as we need a strong end to the meeting, that's what we've been missing for years. James is also more than capable of being a solid enough number 3, especially in a decent team. Really excited for next year now that the 2 main riders I wanted to come back (Max and Matty) HAVE come back :) James is a brilliant addition also. Roll on the end of March

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 1

2. Max Clegg

3. James Wright

4. Matthew Wethers

7. Archie Freeman

Fill in the gaps.

I hope that's it for this years team though, unless we can get Connor or Adam at number 6 or 2 and Max/James at 6 (Don't remember the averages off the top of my head). I'd love to see two big hitters and a solid, experienced reserve to round that team off and I'll be very satisfied. I hope they keep Matty at number 4 to strengthen heat 14, as we need a strong end to the meeting, that's what we've been missing for years. James is also more than capable of being a solid enough number 3, especially in a decent team. Really excited for next year now that the 2 main riders I wanted to come back (Max and Matty) HAVE come back :) James is a brilliant addition also. Roll on the end of March

Matty, Max and James take up about 17pts, + whatever Archie is/will be. Maybe have to see what team build limit will be. :t:

20 hours ago, topsoil said:

got married following weekend as well

2. Max Clegg

3. James Wright

4. Matthew Wethers

7. Archie Freeman

Fill in the gaps.

Unless things change at the conference (which wouldn't surprise me) teams are required to have two rising stars next season, so Connor wouldn't fit at 6. Bringing Connor back now would probably make us weak points wise again unless the limit is drastically cut, and Matty becomes 2nd heat leader. A pity, as I would have like to have seen Connor return, as he will only get better. Adam rumoured to be Plymouth bound.

• Like 3