Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

2 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Talking to someone on the big red bus this week on hols who is a big "town"  fan you would be surprised whos money keeps them going, have said before i wont go watch them again after they lifted the track without comets money they would have been in trouble  years ago.

I know who runs the Workington Town business........yes Comets funding did help big style when Ian Thomas brought it back in 1999.

1 minute ago, singy13 said:

when Ian Thomas brought it back in 1999.

whoops..and Tony Mole.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Good luck today for the Diamonds, I've enjoyed some great visits to Brough with  the Comets over many years. Good racing and friendly home fans always helped. I hope the grim reaper can be kept at bay long term.

I enjoy reading these posts as my sole speedway fix. And THJ is pure gold ( in many eyes ha ha) and full of facts/figures.  I've picked up on another of his mentions of the 'Comets'. And sadly he is right regarding the strained relationship at Derwent Park between Rugby League officials and Speedway management. I have felt the bitter wind of non-compliance so often. I worked for the Rugby club (voluntary) in two quite important roles. This brought me close to the Rugby directors who in the main saw speedway as an irritant, and not worth bothering with. I also stood (still do) with worky Town RL fans, mainly Maryport lads, THJ may know some lol? And these guys literally hated the Comets. Making claims that they (the speeding bikes) made DP look a right mess, shale everywhere including pitch. Those with longest memories still recalled how Messrs Thomas and Brownhutt covered many rows of terracing utilising the first and second bends, not popular with RL folk. Some steps are now uncovered.

I would invariably defend speedway functioning by reminding the Town directors/fans that speedway crowds brought the RL club funds via rent and bar profits, but still found it hard work to convince them of that fact. Another dig at speedway would be the 'guest system'........I couldn't properly defend that....always a bugbear of mine too.

I love both sports and wish both were available on my doorstep........you lucky Diamonds fans also have an RL team nearby too, support the Thunder. 

Who sang Big Yellow Taxi ? can't be a*sed to look.. but the chorus says - 'you don't know what you've got, 'til it's gone'................hear, hear!!!!!! (not here, here)

Joni Mitchell 1970

55 minutes ago, singy13 said:

I know who runs the Workington Town business........yes Comets funding did help big style when Ian Thomas brought it back in 1999.

Tony moles money brought it back lol is he a 4 wheel man?

21 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Tony moles money brought it back lol is he a 4 wheel man?

Backed Ian and Comets..

.Was a Brummie promoter until they were losing money.......sounds familiar for Perry Barr that.

8 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Backed Ian and Comets..

.Was a Brummie promoter until they were losing money.......sounds familiar for Perry Barr that.

If it wasnt for Mole , Workington would never of returned when they did and Birmingham wouldnt of in the mid 2000’s either. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Backed Ian and Comets..

Ment town man a 4 wheel expert lol

Just announced over the tannoy that today's crowd is over 1,000 and a rescue package has been put together allowing Newcastle to see out the remainder of 2021! Well done to everyone involved and fingers crossed there are brighter days ahead for

!

Not sure which thread to put it on, I think 3 is probably enough!

Saw it on twitter

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:
Just announced over the tannoy that today's crowd is over 1,000 and a rescue package has been put together allowing Newcastle to see out the remainder of 2021! Well done to everyone involved and fingers crossed there are brighter days ahead for

!

Not sure which thread to put it on, I think 3 is probably enough!

Saw it on twitter

Very good news for Diamonds,Granty deserves a bit of luck.Let’s hope he can capitalise and get some decent meetings on for the loyal fans.

• Like 3

Good news for the diamonds to see the season out, a good crowd as well, but I think Rob grant is missing a trick having the car park free, if it was only £1, would bring in £250 -400 each week 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Neila said:

Good news for the diamonds to see the season out, a good crowd as well, but I think Rob grant is missing a trick having the car park free, if it was only £1, would bring in £250 -400 each week 

He mentions this in the Raceday Magazine.  He says:

"We have dropped the car parking charge of £1 to help make things cheaper.  It's OK a minority saying, well you're losing all that money, but in fact our car park holds only 180/200cars depending how well they are parked, then you have to staff it and provide security it was just as easy to forfeit £180 a meeting and help make it cheaper for punters.  We regularly get told we are too expensive and if that's the case we don't want to put people off for the sake of £1 on the car park that has more hassle attached than it's worth.  If any of you feel strongly about the car park charge by all means help us and buy and extra ticket on the 50/50 draw for £1.  The ladies will be walking around at the start of every meeting."

• Like 6

That smacks of being a good idea, careful!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The three callouts by Barry in the box for the owner of a motorcycle, turned out not to be an attendee at the Speedway. It was apparently stolen, driven to the field behind the backstraight and torched by some local lowlife. For first timers at the speedway, this is not the usual interval attraction during a meeting. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The three callouts by Barry in the box for the owner of a motorcycle, turned out not to be an attendee at the Speedway. It was apparently stolen, driven to the field behind the backstraight and torched by some local lowlife. For first timers at the speedway, this is not the usual interval attraction during a meeting. 

Just a monthly event:P

• Haha 1