British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

8 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Bet there's no mention of the club's impending doom on look north :( But every single football team in the north east will get mentioned though!!

Too little too late either way... Never got a mention before... Bet most people in the area havent even heard of speedway before...

They will probably (hopefully) say something on Friday night's Look North.

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

Bet there's no mention of the club's impending doom on look north :( But every single football team in the north east will get mentioned though!!

Too little too late either way... Never got a mention before... Bet most people in the area havent even heard of speedway before...

About 20 minutes in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000zqbn/look-north-north-east-and-cumbria-evening-news-14092021

Edited by StevePark
correct link added

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

It goes without saying that this is not how we wanted to end our season, however if this does turn out to be the last time the Diamonds take to the tapes then we feel its important to give our loyal fans something back.

So, to honour this, after the closure of heat 15 we would like to give everyone at Brough on Sunday evening the chance to walk round the track.

That's no school on Monday for me then. :t:

23 hours ago, diamonds7 said:

hi john 

when is the latest date for a sale/takeover is it before the AGM ?

THANKS 

Newcastle Speedway would have to give an intention of running next season at this years AGM, that doesnt mean the speedway would have to be bought by the time of the AGM just an intention of running. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, screm said:

Newcastle Speedway would have to give an intention of running next season at this years AGM, that doesnt mean the speedway would have to be bought by the time of the AGM just an intention of running. 

When is the AGM normally? December / January?

11 minutes ago, screm said:

thanks screm

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

When is the AGM normally? December / January?

Normally the AGM is around middle of November but there`s usually a pre-AGM a few weeks earlier.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:51 PM, HertsRacer said:

Very sad news. Remember moving to the North East in 1970 just in time for their last meeting before they closed. The place was virtually deserted then and it  seems Newcastle has fallen out of love with speedway again. Hopefully it's not too late to save it. If not, any chance of Sunderland staging speedway again?

Sadly, I doubt it. Rental there would be very steep, I suspect. That is if they would allow it in the first place. My hopes for that died years ago.

I would though. like to say, that I hope a way can be found to rescue Newcastle Speedway. I am keeping my fingers crossed that a Promoter will step forward.

Good luck to all Newcastle Supporters at this desperate time. I have been through this twice so I know exactly how you feel. Even after fifty years I still feel the loss of 'my Team'.

Very best wishes to all Supporters of Newcastle 'Diamonds'. My thoughts and hopes are with you.

• Like 3

For information Sunderland Greyhound Stadium is owned by the same company as Brough Park (ARC) so if they did allow speedway to return, they no doubt

would charge the same sort of rental as Brough Park.

For the historians Sunderland ran for a short while in 1964 and we got Ken Sharples when they closed which allowed us to win the Provincial League and when

Newcastle closed in 1970 because the British League Licence was transferred to Reading who were getting larger crowds and the Stadium Manager at Brough

Park said it had to be British League or nothing and so ended another era.

The Berwick Promoter Mrs Taylor jumped in at Sunderland and I remember going once to see the Sunderland vs Rayleigh match in 1971 which the away team

won, my main objection for not returning was the cost of entry which in old money was 8 shillings and sixpence as against 6 shillings and sixpence, the previous

year.

They ran from 1971-1974 and then Ian Thomas won the battle to stage Speedway at Newcastle which had become available and under his promotion ran for

several years with great success until the decision to go up to the British League in 1984 which cost him loads of money and we closed again  

Edited by scampispeedway
  • Like 1