British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

2 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

It may sound stupid... But could we drop down to the National League for that first £110,000 season... Maybe cut the costs down slightly with the riders wages... Get the season's costs down to say £90,000, it is closer to reality than the £110,000... Let's face it, the 350/450 hardcore fans who have been going week in week out will still probably go to watch NL racing as they love the club and go whatever, and imo it is some of the most exciting racing in the country. Just an idea of cutting costs somewhere to help reduce the costs in that initial season? Could still include some good riders in the NL, some local talent too.

Max at number 1, Archie at number 5, Josh Embleton and Danny Smith. Even Jack Shimelt at number 6 and 7, as I feel the standard of NL racing will drop even further next year and if Jack can progress well over the winter, he may not be too far off come the start of the season... Some very cheap to pay riders there... And you're only looking for another 2 riders to make a team?

Just an idea, I'm sure someone will explain to me why it can't be, and please do :)

£110,000 is a scary sounding figure, I know a few fans said they can give a couple grand here and there, but £90,000-£110,000 is just too high a figure imo, we desperately need a new Rob Grant to come in to supplement the generosity from the fans...

National league could be a more viable option, there would be no derby crowds but the vast majority will still turn up and support.

Just now, Diamondboy said:

Yes they could, have they? Hence the question marks!! Get off your box!!

Just a polite reply to you asking a personal question on a speedway forum, no offence meant.

Just now, eric i said:

National league could be a more viable option, there would be no derby crowds but the vast majority will still turn up and support.

Rent I would think would be the same.

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

Just a polite reply to you asking a personal question on a speedway forum, no offence meant.

Well if they have then good for them, and the kids.

1 minute ago, Diamondboy said:

Well if they have then good for them, and the kids.

Apologies, didn't want to cause offence

3 minutes ago, M.D said:

Apologies, didn't want to cause offence

You haven’t caused offence, everything is cool. :t:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, screm said:

Daft as it seems raising the money to keep Newcastle alive could be the easy part, then who ever is running the show needs to get a lot more people through the gates on a regular bases to keep the business running. Failure to do that will see Newcastle back in the same situation sooner rather than later.

Totally agree,,, but it might buy some much needed time. In that time there will need to be some major changes and lessons learned, I believe Rob has good intentions, but,,, a suppose being sold 'a ringer' and the coronavirus carry-on has smashed it to bits before it started. 

• Like 2

IMO the only chance of Diamonds would be Rob Grant to continue and be backed by all the fans who support the survival.As Rob is saying he’s out,that’s it finished.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, screm said:

Daft as it seems raising the money to keep Newcastle alive could be the easy part, then who ever is running the show needs to get a lot more people through the gates on a regular bases to keep the business running. Failure to do that will see Newcastle back in the same situation sooner rather than later.

Also will require other people to help run the business  with health and safety rules, covid rules, various speedway rules about running a meeting, then getting volunteers to help out before during and after meetings, unfortunately think it's a long shot to save the diamonds

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Neila said:

Also will require other people to help run the business  with health and safety rules, covid rules, various speedway rules about running a meeting, then getting volunteers to help out before during and after meetings, unfortunately think it's a long shot to save the diamonds

Some valid points made especially about the health & safety / covid rules

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

IMO the only chance of Diamonds would be Rob Grant to continue and be backed by all the fans who support the survival.As Rob is saying he’s out,that’s it finished.

Could he be persuaded tho?

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

I totally agree.. every day, week that goes by we are running out of time / funds. 
Newcastle Diamonds Facebook / Supporters club should be doing something but seem to have given up.. There should be a post similar to Twitter one “Save Newcastle Speedway” and get votes going etc to see who would be interested but just seem defeated. 

Well... Why don't we on here think up a bullet point list of things that need to be mentioned in a post, and someone who it literate put something together with it? WE could do something...

9 hours ago, Ajr said:

It was nice to meet you the other week, hopefully the speedway can be saved. Still miss supporting the Comets. Once it's gone its hard to bring it back. Will hopefully catch up over a beer

Hello Ajr, I believe you must be getting me mixed up with someone else as I've never really met up with anyone new at the speedway recently? Although catching up over a beer, I would be down to do that with anyone :cheers:

7 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

Your elderly relatives had to get their kids home for school in the morning???? 

Yes, their grandkids, who they look after on a permanent basis... Don't really feel I wanna explain why, but that is the situation... Also, they are not my parents, therefore they're not looking after MY kids, before anyone leaps to that suggestion. Don't really wanna say any more than that on here

7 hours ago, M.D said:

Thats a bit personal, for all you know they could foster..

Not a problem haha, it's a strange situation, so I understand the question marks raised

7 hours ago, eric i said:

National league would drastically reduce the rider wages as far as I know the riders are on a set £20 a point? Could be wrong... Now I don't know what our lads were on this year, but I imagine the likes of Ben and Max were at least £35-40 a point... It would reduce the rider wages significantly, surely? Whilst we are struggling for funds in our initial '£110,000' year where we would have more money to fork over than normal... Then, we can start thinking about moving back up and splashing more on rider wages (if it ever gets to that point)

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

Rent I would think would be the same.

Yes... Rent may be the same, but as I mentioned above, it's reductions elsewhere we need to look at while we go through our initial difficult financial season... Rider wages is the most obvious place to start?

Also, is it cheaper to enter a team in the NL (licence wise etc) compared to the PL or CL? I don't know...

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Yes... We do need a figure head to take charge and run the show so to speak... Look after the funds, go to meetings with the BSPA etc... If we could find someone and hundreds of us back them financially, that could be the way forward? That figurehead doesn't even need to be that wealthy themselves if we've all got their back...

3 hours ago, Neila said:

I am sure the current crop of volunteers, some of which I know or have known in the past personally, would be ecstatic and more than happy to come down and help again if their team they've been volunteering at for years came back? Although yes, there would need to be certain positions refilled again... Their wages would need to be taken into account also

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Could he be persuaded tho?

I'm guessing not... :sad: If only he could be that figurehead I talked about earlier... He wouldn't need to worry about the money side as much, just the planning side, which afterall, IS his business ain't it? Entertainment... Us fans could provide as much financial backing as possible... And considering he actually made a profit this year (granted he lost a lot on his other businesses during covid) the possibilities are endless... I just wish that things like the waffle truck and extra food and drink options had been there all year, as they were heaving and must have been making a fortune for him... Although I only visited the bar personally :D

• Like 1

Also since the sad passing of dave tattum Newcastle would need a second promoter to work alongside Rob. If he did stay on and that will not be easy.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Also since the sad passing of dave tattum Newcastle would need a second promoter to work alongside Rob. If he did stay on and that will not be easy.  

Yeah that's very true