British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

4 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Maybe just someone to help with the heavy lifting. Am sure Rob has to put a lot if time into both or other businesses. Maybe some help with other stuff could work, allowing him to free up some time. Can't be easy juggling 2 things at the same time and, gadgy's can't do multi-tasking. ;)

A suppose in times like this, every stone needs to be turned over?

Main thing we need is someone with spare time who can run and manage the club, with the odd bit of financial backing from a successful business such as Rob's (Wouldn't have to be anywhere near what he put in this year) and from the fans too, things should be set :)

3 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

With the attendances you quote, I don’t see how speedway at Newcastle’s level can be viable or sustainable as a professional sport.

What other professional sport is played out to such a small audience?

I believe the low attendance levels this season have been down to a multitude of things... Covid, poor team, a few jumped ship to Redcar because they weren't a fan of how Rob was running things... However I think with the correct advertising and if the Diamonds could come back stronger, with a more attractive lineup, the 500-600 fans of old could be easily brought back + others? :)

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Doubt it,but if supporters come up with a decent sum of Money up front,you never know.Personally think he will be glad to get out of the sport it’s just not worth the hassle nowadays.IMO.

I think you're right unfortunately :( So we may need to find another figurehead...

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

The average attendance has probably been about 500 over the course of the season and on speedway terms Granty has actually made profit.

I think with a main promoter / co promoter with fans contributing also we can keep Newcastle Speedway alive and continuing for years hopefully at a new track in the future. 

I believe that Rob has made a profit within the speedway, but that has involved investing heavily from his other businesses, which have mad significant losses, so overall, it's been a loss :( But if us fans can chip in and support a new leader, AND we can get the numbers back of old, then it could well be viable?

2 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Can someone explain why there is an urgent need, or is it just a desire, to move away from the current stadium?

A figure of £150k for a very basis new track has been quoted but, if that sort of money could be found, would it not be better spent promoting and supporting the sport at its existing venue?

If we had a new stadium that was owned b the speedway we could lease it out for all sorts of activities... Amateur meetings, practice junior days etc, just like Scunthorpe do, I would suggest that is how they make the majority of their income? I don't remember the exact details, but it's approximately £500-£650 (someone will be able to quote the exact figure I'm sure) a day to hire the track at Scunthorpe... And it's hired out by AMSA and Wayne Carter and sometimes independent people on a more than weekly basis... That's HUGE, obviously it would take years and years to get that up and running though... Oh and also, no stadium rent to pay :D

1 hour ago, scampispeedway said:

I watched Look North last night and Geoff Brown started the sports parts of the programme around 6.50pm with the possible ending of 90 years of

Speedway before mentioning the other sports, it showed a lot that went on after the meeting and Rob Grant explained how he has lost a lot of money

through out the season.

I'm pretty certain that the ground where Brough Park is situated must only be used for sport as it has covenant stating this fact but this could be over

turned if the Greyhound owners ever pulled out.

Nice to get a mention... Just hope Mr rich man is sat at home now rubbing his hands together...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Aye, a get what you say, but was thinking that the Seaton Burn site is just about directly under the flight path for the airport, so its noisy anyway, plus the A1 and A19 noise?

Surely it's not time to get the white flag oot yet. ;)

100% and I really hope and pray that a rescue package can be found and a solution to the current problems 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

A think with limited availability, access to track and hoops to jump through, a new venue might get rid of those issues. A new venue could include other enterprises and not just speedway. Quad bikes, BMX, market stalls etc.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like, although unlikely to recover its set up  costs, speedway at Newcastle could be viable on a day to day basis, especially at NDL level. 
For information, I had some serious and lengthy discussions about a supporters’ run operation at Glasgow some years ago, but concluded that, although the initial enthusiasm would set it all up, long term, that wouldn’t continue so it wasn’t viable. The only supporter assistance model that seems to work is the one run at Edinburgh, where the supporters have been willing to help the club for many decades now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If c£110,000 is required to run 2021 at Brough even without a superstar team, and it's thought this might be a stretch too far, how are you then going to raise c£150,000 for a bit of dirt somewhere else?

Although the diehards will watch speedway anywhere, other modern day sports followers actually want a bit more comfort. If you're going to take the new man/woman in your life out on a date, maybe to a pile of uncomfortable dirt in the middle of nowhere is not the best option? 

• Haha 1

The two key pieces of information we need to determine is:

• How many supporters are willing to put how much in
  • If there are any companies who are willing to put into the funds to help support the club

I mean... over £10,000 was raised not that long ago by people just for the love of the club... And I know a lot of that was outside help... But if we could get 150 fans put in £10 a week, then a month that could be £6,000... Plus any larger sums that people could put in, plus any companies who are willing to sponsor us, we could be looking at that £10,000 being raised on a monthly basis, if we can keep that going... But is 150 fans unrealistic? I am not sure who or how many are keen, or can afford, to do such a thing... That's what we need to find out, so any future buyers feel confident enough...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

If c£110,000 is required to run 2021 at Brough even without a superstar team, and it's thought this might be a stretch too far, how are you then going to raise c£150,000 for a bit of dirt somewhere else?

Although the diehards will watch speedway anywhere, other modern day sports followers actually want a bit more comfort. If you're going to take the new man/woman in your life out on a date, maybe to a pile of uncomfortable dirt in the middle of nowhere is not the best option? 

I believe that £110,000 is the figure put together for the first year, which would include the purchase of the club and all its assets and other year one set up costs... Surely that figure would be significantly lower for future seasons, even at Brough Park... Which is why I suggested that we should consider dropping down to the NL for one or two seasons until we find our feet with new owners backed by fans...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Can someone explain why there is an urgent need, or is it just a desire, to move away from the current stadium?

A figure of £150k for a very basis new track has been quoted but, if that sort of money could be found, would it not be better spent promoting and supporting the sport at its existing venue?

It's quite simple really, how can the Diamond's compete with Redcar for example?  Multiple revinue streams and comparatively low overheads vs low revinue streams and  high rent.  The dog track tenant  clubs are those struggling most because to pay the extortionate rents the budget for riders is compromised which means they can only sign lower calibre riders that in turn affects the results which is reflected in attendances.  It's no fun winning the wooden spoon!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Berry9 said:

It's quite simple really, how can the Diamond's compete with Redcar for example?  Multiple revinue streams and comparatively low overheads vs low revinue streams and  high rent.  The dog track tenant  clubs are those struggling most because to pay the extortionate rents the budget for riders is compromised which means they can only sign lower calibre riders that in turn affects the results which is reflected in attendances.  It's no fun winning the wooden spoon!

You would thing greyhound stadium owners would be happy with some rent rather than none at all.

13 minutes ago, Berry9 said:

Thing is as well with dog track tenants, the dog track needs to be covered,,, although the club does/might not pay for this to be done, it is probably at least giving away free entry and a programme (say £20),,, is that lost revenue thru the gate?

Taken off Facebook:

Newcastle Speedway for Sale.

For all genuine enquiries please contact info@newcastle-speedway.co.uk.

No information will be published on social media platforms.

If a consortium is being considered then it is important that there is a figurehead to deal with the matters on behalf of everyone.

The sale of Newcastle Speedway is subject to any new parties producing a business plan, having talks with stadium landlords and the BSPL for acceptance before any handover can take place.

There is a time limit of 6 weeks before Newcastle Speedway will unfortunately have to close.

For clarity current director and promoter Rob Grant will not be staying at the club in any position once his officials licence runs out meaning at least two promoters need to be put in place by any party or parties wanting to take up the challenge.

9 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Taken off Facebook:

If a consortium is being considered then it is important that there is a figurehead to deal with the matters on behalf of everyone.

The sale of Newcastle Speedway is subject to any new parties producing a business plan, having talks with stadium landlords and the BSPL for acceptance before any handover can take place.

There is a time limit of 6 weeks before Newcastle Speedway will unfortunately have to close.

For clarity current director and promoter Rob Grant will not be staying at the club in any position once his officials licence runs out meaning at least two promoters need to be put in place by any party or parties wanting to take up the challenge.

Somebody amongst the Diamond's fan base must now the directors of Greg's .  The money required will be a drop in the ocean to them and what a great way to pay homage to the people of their home city.  

Just now, Berry9 said:

Somebody amongst the Diamond's fan base must now the directors of Greg's .  The money required will be a drop in the ocean to them and what a great way to pay homage to the people of their home city.  

Every race could be sponsored  by one of their products

In my view anything fan based will fall at the hurdle which says someone has to be responsible for any losses incurred. Fans won't be able/prepared to stump potentially unlimited cash calls if losses are made.

First and foremost you need someone to take responsibility for the whole project then look at ways that fans can assist perhaps along the lines of the Edinburgh model. 

In this climate you'd have to say chances are remote at best but you never know 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Taken off Facebook:

Will it be published on the Diamonds website instead? About time it was used.

• Like 1

How about all the so called supporters who have gained FREE entry for donkeys years put their money together ,they must be worth a fortune .

• Like 2