British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

4 hours ago, Normski said:

You would thing greyhound stadium owners would be happy with some rent rather than none at all.

Unfortunately the stadium owners probably regard the rent as loose change

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, highside said:

How about all the so called supporters who have gained FREE entry for donkeys years put their money together ,they must be worth a fortune .

Nice 1 why have free entry ? Even if the track staff are allowed a guest or 5 as the previous promotion did if your face fitted .. surely they could have paid at least a ten spot & that would ( I may be wrong ) encouraged the freebies to carry it on & we may be alright now

6 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I am aware that a lot of you guys volunteered your duties, which is amazing... But I also assume that some in other roles were paid? I can't say for sure as I am not really involved in any background type stuff...

Maybe but the ones who I worked closely with never but we did get cups of tea & biccys 

3 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Maybe but the ones who I worked closely with never but we did get cups of tea & biccys 

How many free entries did you get?

24 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

How many free entries did you get?

A big fat zero as I also bought  season tickets for years & years & will still buy them now & if hopefully somebody rescues us ( how about you ) how many have you had ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Unfortunately the stadium owners probably regard the rent as loose change

Thats correct, Whilst i dont know the current payment for a Greyhound meeting streamed into the betting shops i can confidently say its into five figures, which if Newcastle stream three of those it gives them an income of 30k+ per week with minimal staffing costs, in fact no need for any spectators as Covid proved, so as you say its loose change to a business like ARC. Iv always thought if Speedway Promoters could find a way of introducing Handicap meetings (maybe individual to begin with) with the possibility of 6 rider races then the betting Industry might be tempted to get involved, big bucks to be made there as Greyhound racing has shown over the years, but thats another story altogether.

• Like 1

Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum but first started watching the Diamonds in 1964 and have been a fairly consistent supporter at home and (very occasionally) away ever since. Not sure I quite qualify as one of the 350 hard-core die-hards but I'm solidly in the next category down.  My working life was entirely in finance so I did think that I might be able to contribute in that context - however I listened with great interest to THJ talking in the bar after the match on sunday (I was the tall balding bloke at the back) and quickly realised that my knowledge of the cash flows associated with a typical speedway meeting/season/track build is  negligible. I do want to offer some opinions  however so will keep them fairly general.

Every decent business plan/forecast/budget  has to major on how great the product or service in question and how much appeal it has and how much revenue it can generate. In our case that means the quality of the racing and the quality of the viewing experience.  A strong winning team would be a nice addition (altho  maybe less important because it can actually be counter-productive for home meetings).  So it's about racing and viewing and whilst ,like everyone else, I have had some great nights at Brough Park and have some great memories, I do not believe that our old track is capable in this day and age of providing either. The issues were set out very eloquently  in a post on this forum a couple of days ago (sorry I haven't done a link)  and I'm not sure I can better that - but in summary the deal with ARC is too expensive and inflexible and the track is too far away and the wrong shape entirely for modern speedway. So whilst there has been much well-informed discussion about how a new venture might be financed and what the legal structure might be,  I believe all of this is secondary to the issue of finding a new location and track where the racing and viewing is great.  That stands a chance of getting crowds above a break-even figure and not just appealing to the 350 and a few extras like me.  It simply will not grow and prosper if it's just for the hard-core support - despite all of their fantastic goodwill and indeed monetary support.  In that context I have to offer the unpopular (and regrettable) view that NL racing on it's own is a non-starter (or is at least struggling to beat the two minutes....).

All of you folks above a certain age (unspecified..) will have visited Berwick's track  Berrington Lough back in the day. Not without it's flaws obviously (eg way too tight) and ultimately not successful but I simply cannot get out of my head the prospect of  a venue out of town for the Diamonds which is great for families to visit at 4pm on sunday afternoons in the summer.  A great area to watch what goes on in the pits and engage with the riders, great racing (with at least two lines, some dirt and maybe banking), top notch grub and drink from Rob ( all revenue staying within the club?), sideline attractions for the kids, trade stands for the adults - all of Rob's initial vision. Sadly Covid, Brough Park, the handover and a few people letting him down made it all impracticable this year but the dream can be revived I believe.  We have firstly  to find and promote a potential venue which ticks all of the right boxes first of all to get individuals, sponsors and grant-awarding bodies etc really enthused and promising hard cash. Then  we start the debate about the legal vehicle to use and how it's structured and all of the other stuff which the forum has touched on. I don't relish the prospect of a year out of course but that may be the inevitable consequence of a move.

A few specific venues have been mentioned - eg Seaton Burn, Gypsies Green etc - and I have to say I can add nothing to the debate about them specifically. It is vital however that we focus first on the pro's and con's of each prospective new venue and allow the business plan and finance-raising to flow from there.  Location,location.... yeah you know the rest.  This might have also have the side benefit of eliminating all the arguing about the past - water under the bridge and a waste of everyone's energy and time.  There is still great enthusiasm and knowledge to be tapped into. As an aside I had a chat with Rob long before the season started and he mentioned to me two possible venues - neither of them has been has been referred to on this or any other forum (as far as I know) and as it was in confidence I'm not about to disclose anything.  I would be interested to know if they are still options or were knocked on the head for whatever reason. So if you read this Rob - would be interested in an update please. And please stop blaming yourself entirely for what has happened - you had the ultimate baptism of fire as a speedway promoter and came damn close to making it work. A massive effort which was greatly appreciated.

Just as a footnote (are you still reading this?!! is there nowt on the telly? Sorry to drone on and on.....) I keep referring only to a new track.  Not a new stadium or grandstand or owt fancy - just gimme somewhere to stand to see great racing (did I mention that?) and a decent team with Max and Connor and a genuine No.1  in it and I'm there.  Hope springs eternal. 

Regards

John T

Edited by JRT
Bit of a re-think!

1 hour ago, Justgotmecpc said:

A big fat zero as I also bought  season tickets for years & years & will still buy them now & if hopefully somebody rescues us ( how about you ) how many have you had ?

A big fat zero, had loads of season tickets in the past as did my family, we have also never had the p@ss taken out of us by the previous promotion, how about you? please tell me how the previous promotion have taken the p@ss taken out of you, I’m still waiting for an answer, in your own time.....,

22 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Thats correct, Whilst i dont know the current payment for a Greyhound meeting streamed into the betting shops i can confidently say its into five figures, which if Newcastle stream three of those it gives them an income of 30k+ per week with minimal staffing costs, in fact no need for any spectators as Covid proved, so as you say its loose change to a business like ARC. Iv always thought if Speedway Promoters could find a way of introducing Handicap meetings (maybe individual to begin with) with the possibility of 6 rider races then the betting Industry might be tempted to get involved, big bucks to be made there as Greyhound racing has shown over the years, but thats another story altogether.

Lots of coin to be made from gambling, even tho its known to, or be linked to many associated problems health wise and such. Not really good to promote it,,, lottery, scratch cards, bingo etc. Its all the same,,, 'Gamble Responsibly' is the problem.  ;)

And this is a big problem for speedway that rents a stadia

At the Arlington raceway, Eastbourne, they run Stocks, bangers but not dogs.

They run bangers all season but they put on stocks for some very plumb dates during the year, New Years day, bank holidays etc.

Im told that one of these big dates rakes in more money in one meeting than they get rent out of speedway in three years as they get all the food and drink outlets as well as gate receipts.

The very BIG difference Eastbourne has over Newcastle or any other rented Stadia speedway has is that at Eastbourne, the owners of the stadium will go out of their way to see speedway at the stadium for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, M.D said:

And this is a big problem for speedway that rents a stadia

At the Arlington raceway, Eastbourne, they run Stocks, bangers but not dogs.

They run bangers all season but they put on stocks for some very plumb dates during the year, New Years day, bank holidays etc.

Im told that one of these big dates rakes in more money in one meeting than they get rent out of speedway in three years as they get all the food and drink outlets as well as gate receipts.

The very BIG difference Eastbourne has over Newcastle or any other rented Stadia speedway has is that at Eastbourne, the owners of the stadium will go out of their way to see speedway at the stadium for the foreseeable future.

Not if it costs them money. I can't see them subsidising speedway like Bob Dugard did. As an Arlington regular, I'm hoping, but not convinced there will be a revival.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diamondboy said:

A big fat zero, had loads of season tickets in the past as did my family, we have also never had the p@ss taken out of us by the previous promotion, how about you? please tell me how the previous promotion have taken the p@ss taken out of you, I’m still waiting for an answer, in your own time.....,

Neve took the p@ss out of me at all but they did f@ck Rob over tho .. & I gave 48 weeks of every Sunday without fail working in all kinds of weather during January February march along with all other hard working volunteers to get the place ready for the season & which I could have gone to work to earn a few Bob ! Which during the winter weekends if we never had went in the speedway would never have been ready in time & we did put on the speedway website for extra helpers but nobody botherd to turn up & help out... But they would soon criticise on the forum that things weren't ready as we would still be getting things ready on press day.. if we are saved for next season I'm sure you'll be made welcome to join the team 

• Like 1

Guys guys guys ave just got the internet code for this spot and am somewhere in Cumbria... Lorton a think it's called... Google it a dare ya... The Hills Have Eyes has nowt on this spot...  8 Quid for a large McCallum 12 year old scotch and I'm 8 in plus the San Miguel is 4.90 a pint and I have been on that some time before this Duck Do started around one today... and if am honest am full up... but am still standing and there are a few soft southerners here but am not gonna give in... Geordie pride an all that...

It's an issue... let an old Alkie tell ya... but it's no good going over old ground... there is a great deal of good will at Eastie and with a fair wind they will be back... am 85% confident on that... Newcastle on the other hand 30% maybe a yes 70% maybe a no... but we have 6 weeks and things are in motion... nice to see people are so passionate about saving the club... 

It won't be easy for sure but honestly there are discussions on going and we will need to make an awful lot of people happy... but it can be done... and it WILL need the support of the fans as this is beyond the control of one or two people... it has to be fan driven and there will have to be a commitment made by the fan base if it is to survive and you have seen the info on Facebook that puts the situation in stark reality...

There will be something coming out in the next week or two with regard to a meeting once I book a venue... but we need to simmer and pull together... 

On that if this doesn't read very well I'm sorry as I have been on the lash all day and I am on a break not coming back to God's country til Saturday when we will sort a meeting out but things are not straightforward however we can only but try...

Keep the faith and pull together... history is just that it's in the past... I'm a bigger tool that what's gone on before but let's see where we can get...

Regards

John... 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

What's a Duck Do?

Quack,Quack lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2