British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds 2021

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Not if it costs them money. I can't see them subsidising speedway like Bob Dugard did. As an Arlington regular, I'm hoping, but not convinced there will be a revival.

They are willing and dont really make much out of it but the point is they do want speedway at the stadium but no they wont bank roll it

Always believe

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, M.D said:

They are willing and dont really make much out of it but the point is they do want speedway at the stadium but no they wont bank roll it

Always believe

Yes they do want speedway but it's got to be run there way, that's fact, as Martin Dugard’s as already stated. 

17 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Birmingham on their way too by the looks of things...

Speedway ain't in a very good place at the minute that's for sure...

Regards 

THJ

Similar set of circumstances to Newcastle?

We need to see the bigger picture,,, have ye gotta bad head today? ;)

On 9/21/2021 at 1:58 AM, Diamonds85 said:

Well... Why don't we on here think up a bullet point list of things that need to be mentioned in a post, and someone who it literate put something together with it? WE could do something...

Hello Ajr, I believe you must be getting me mixed up with someone else as I've never really met up with anyone new at the speedway recently? Although catching up over a beer, I would be down to do that with anyone :cheers:

Yes, their grandkids, who they look after on a permanent basis... Don't really feel I wanna explain why, but that is the situation... Also, they are not my parents, therefore they're not looking after MY kids, before anyone leaps to that suggestion. Don't really wanna say any more than that on here

Not a problem haha, it's a strange situation, so I understand the question marks raised

National league would drastically reduce the rider wages as far as I know the riders are on a set £20 a point? Could be wrong... Now I don't know what our lads were on this year, but I imagine the likes of Ben and Max were at least £35-40 a point... It would reduce the rider wages significantly, surely? Whilst we are struggling for funds in our initial '£110,000' year where we would have more money to fork over than normal... Then, we can start thinking about moving back up and splashing more on rider wages (if it ever gets to that point)

Haha , me and technology are not the best of mates. Post was meant for Totally Honest John. But if the speedway is running next year I'll hold you to the pint lol.

21 hours ago, highside said:

How about all the so called supporters who have gained FREE entry for donkeys years put their money together ,they must be worth a fortune .

As one of those who gained free entry over the last three years, I will do that willing if you stump up the £3000:00+ I have saved the club by not charging for services provided. And I did pay every week this year as these services were not required. ( Saved a fortune).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leander said:

As one of those who gained free entry over the last three years, I will do that willing if you stump up the £3000:00+ I have saved the club by not charging for services provided. And I did pay every week this year as these services were not required. ( Saved a fortune).

Yes but the question is, did the promotion take the p@ss out of you?

9 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Similar set of circumstances to Newcastle?

We need to see the bigger picture,,, have ye gotta bad head today? ;)

Yes and yes... and yes... feeling very rough ruff...

Sunday Monday and last night have done me in.... well and truely...

Slept most of today and will be having an early night tonight for sure...

Regards 

THJ

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yes and yes... and yes... feeling very rough ruff...

Sunday Monday and last night have done me in.... well and truely...

Slept most of today and will be having an early night tonight for sure...

Regards 

THJ

Probly the San Miguel,,, 5a a pint, a remember when it was cheaper than water,,, nice pint tho. :t:

22 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

not coming back to God's country til

You ARE in god's country if you are in lorton, in deepest Cumbria :rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, Neila said:

You ARE in god's country if you are in lorton, in deepest Cumbria :rolleyes:

Looks like a nice place to get away from it all and gather you're thoughts?

Do they have 'just-eat' there?

Edited by ruffdiamond

A lot has been mentioned here about the money involved in running speedway. It is purely on this basis that I believe Newcastle will not run next year. You simply have to look at the Financial Accounts on companies house for previous years to see the figures/ losses involved. What gets me is that previous owners must have known about the tax situation, so in my opinion Granty taking over the club only delayed the inevitable as he did try to make a go of things. His business style reflects his riding style, and I have nothing but admiration for the man for what he has done. I would be interested in a fan based donation if one was set up. For my sins ( I say in jest before the snowflakes appear) I live in Glasgow, so have witnessed what the Facennas et al have done (albeit from a distance). One thing I have noticed and admired is the marketing of Glasgow. Various posters, billboards dotted around the city clearly advertising the speedway. I don’t see the same overt advertising around Newcastle….(I stand to be corrected however) but is this something the club has missed? Also Glasgow have a Facebook page in Polish for the Polish community of Glasgow. My point is… has Newcastle missed a trick somewhere? Or has it been a case of fighting other fires from day one and the inevitable was going to happen? If money was always going to be tight, then why was a NL side set up at the beginning? (Note this is not a criticism but a genuine question as I do not know the inner workings and figures of running a speedway outfit). Lastly..did anyone else find the track walk an emotional experience? One minute walking around in awe of being on the track & thinking about the legendary names who have graced the very shale you are walking on…the next moment realising why you are there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wardey said:

A lot has been mentioned here about the money involved in running speedway. It is purely on this basis that I believe Newcastle will not run next year. You simply have to look at the Financial Accounts on companies house for previous years to see the figures/ losses involved. What gets me is that previous owners must have known about the tax situation, so in my opinion Granty taking over the club only delayed the inevitable as he did try to make a go of things. His business style reflects his riding style, and I have nothing but admiration for the man for what he has done. I would be interested in a fan based donation if one was set up. For my sins ( I say in jest before the snowflakes appear) I live in Glasgow, so have witnessed what the Facennas et al have done (albeit from a distance). One thing I have noticed and admired is the marketing of Glasgow. Various posters, billboards dotted around the city clearly advertising the speedway. I don’t see the same overt advertising around Newcastle….(I stand to be corrected however) but is this something the club has missed? Also Glasgow have a Facebook page in Polish for the Polish community of Glasgow. My point is… has Newcastle missed a trick somewhere? Or has it been a case of fighting other fires from day one and the inevitable was going to happen? If money was always going to be tight, then why was a NL side set up at the beginning? (Note this is not a criticism but a genuine question as I do not know the inner workings and figures of running a speedway outfit). Lastly..did anyone else find the track walk an emotional experience? One minute walking around in awe of being on the track & thinking about the legendary names who have graced the very shale you are walking on…the next moment realising why you are there.

Can you compare Newcastle with Glasgow, the Glasgow promoters are extremely successful business men aren't they?

1 hour ago, Wardey said:

At least For the time being, Brough Park is still standing. When i attended the last meeting at Lakeside three years ago, the bulldozers were waiting in the wings.

Yes, they do have a successful business which they admit does back up the club (as per latest podcast of No Brakes No Fear which is always worth a listen). I feel this is the way forward and promoters do have other businesses and empires behind them. You can always compare marketing, especially the free channels. But not the budget.